Windows update not working

My windows updater was working fine the other day, now it is not working at all and I cannot figure out why. Can anyone help me?

Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor: Intel(R) core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 2.83GHz
Installed memory: 16 GB
System type: 64-bit OS
9 answers Last reply
More about windows update working
  1. That can happen when a PC gets infected. Do you have decent antivirus software loaded?
  2. HI :)

Is it a GENUINE Ultimate ?

All the best Brett :)
  3. Is your copy of Win7 activated?
    Hit and hold the Windows key and then press "pause". The window which now appeared is showing the status of the product activation.
  4. automated fix (may require validation)
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/
  5. I really appreciate all the commentary. What I finally did was contact MicroSoft customer support and we discovered I had a corrupted Update folder.

Yes, my copy of Ultimate is authentic, activated and verified by MicroSoft and no I do not have any malware or viruses on my system.

After about an hour long chat session with a cmd verification and such, we got the folder replaced with a new one and updated the software function. The technician was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Very patient and answered all my questions. Great customer support for a change.
  6. Which folder did you replace?
  7. The technician renamed the updater folder *.old (not sure off hand the exact name of the folder) and then redid the update program to create a new folder which in turn allowed the program to start working again.
  8. I had the same problem after changing out my hard drive and reinstalling windows 7 64 bit. I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and that cured the problem (I had to restart after installation)
  9. Nirfolis said:
    I had the same problem after changing out my hard drive and reinstalling windows 7 64 bit. I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and that cured the problem (I had to restart after installation)

Thanks for your response. I have gotten this issue fixed and have not had any further problems. I must admit I was a bit skeptical at first dealing with the technician from them, but he did such a good job and was so very patient with me that I was completely satisfied with his ability and help.

Solved the problem. Yea!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Update Windows 7