I admit it. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to soldering. However,
I can manage to solder a good joint IF I can manage to hold everything
still.

The problem is I don't seem to have enough hands. Assuming I'm trying
to solder one wire to one part, I need one hand to hold the part, one
hand to hold the wire, one hand to hold the iron and one hand to hold
the solder. That's FOUR hands. Unfortunately, I've only got 2.

So, can anyone provide me with some tips. My soldering jobs are taking
way too long because of this problem.

Mark
Norcross GA

martin

Several ways.

1) Tin both pieces, put a little more solder on each side so there's a
bit extra.
Now you can solder them without having to add more to the joint.

2) Wrap the wires together first, then solder.

3) Use a hemostat to hold everything in place.

4) Wrap some solder around the wires, using it as - well - wire. When
you solder, the solder melts into the joint.

there's a small bench-top device, that's got a little bit of weight to
it, that has about 4 very adjustible arms with aligator clips on the
ends and a magnify glass. might be called a "third-hand".
I picked one up at expo last year for $3.

Jer

On 23 Sep 2005 15:09:02 -0500, BOGUSevileyeBOGUS@mindspring.comBOGUS
(John Bigbooty) wrote:

>So, can anyone provide me with some tips. My soldering jobs are taking
>way too long because of this problem.

For one thing, a good solder joint consists of a solid mechanical
connection as well as a good solder connection. To make a good
mechanical connection the wire should go through a hole or wrap around
whatever it is you're soldering it to. If you've done that right you
won't have to hold the wire while you solder it.

On 23 Sep 2005 15:09:02 -0500, BOGUSevileyeBOGUS@mindspring.comBOGUS
(John Bigbooty) wrote:

[...]

>So, can anyone provide me with some tips. My soldering jobs are taking
>way too long because of this problem.

A cheap third hand might be found in your closet. If you have the kind
of hangar that has two spring clips on a rod used for hanging pants
you can often remove the rod and clips. The clips slide up and down
and rotate on the rod. So you can use one clip to clip onto something
under the playfield to hold the rod in place and position the other
clip to hold a microswitch or something else that needs to be
soldered.

martin

Depending on the environment, a mechanical connection may not be
necessary or desirable. In pinball, mechanical connections tend to
spray solder everywhere when you take them apart. The main thing is
enough connection between the parts, and a correct solder joint.

Lots of standards here, and all good as long as the joint is good. If
the soldering has problems, then they all fail.

I just have one thing to add. When soldering on the underside of the
playfield put some kind of cloth below what you are trying to solder.
There's nothing worse than a solder drip causing a short.
Dom

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Mechanical connection is recommended in most cases.

If doing wire to wire this is what you want:

http://workmanship.nasa.gov/guidadv_recmeth_wusplice.jsp

If soldering wires to coils or switches, thread the wire and bend it so
there is a mechanical connection.

Medical forceps type pliers which lock make a great set of extra hands.

I think I got mine at radis shack.

If soldering components to Pcbs, a board vice is helpful:

http://www.panavise.com/nf/vises/vises_cbholders.html

You can also insert the legs of components into the solder pads and then
bend the legs slightly on the back side to lock the component in at the
desired height.

Hth.

Otto

CARGPB11

"John Bigbooty" <BOGUSevileyeBOGUS@mindspring.comBOGUS> wrote in message
>I admit it. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to soldering. However,
> I can manage to solder a good joint IF I can manage to hold everything
> still.
>
> The problem is I don't seem to have enough hands. Assuming I'm trying
> to solder one wire to one part, I need one hand to hold the part, one
> hand to hold the wire, one hand to hold the iron and one hand to hold
> the solder. That's FOUR hands. Unfortunately, I've only got 2.
>
> So, can anyone provide me with some tips. My soldering jobs are taking
> way too long because of this problem.
>
> Mark
> Norcross GA

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:30:47 -0400, "Otto"
<ottondebremove&%$*@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Martin had it right.
>
>Called a hemostat

Hemostats come in handy as heat sinks too. You can put them on the leg
of a microswitch between the solder joint and the switch to keep the
switch from overheating and to keep flux from dripping into it.

karl

> Don't ever put solder in your mouth. It has this stuff called lead in it
> ughh.
>
> Woz

Oh come on, I do this all the time ever since I learned to solder at
about age 6 or so! Please... It's not like were eating the stuff.

Karl.

BOGUSevileyeBOGUS@mindspring.comBOGUS (John Bigbooty) wrote in

> I admit it. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to soldering. However,
> I can manage to solder a good joint IF I can manage to hold everything
> still.
>
> The problem is I don't seem to have enough hands. Assuming I'm trying
> to solder one wire to one part, I need one hand to hold the part, one
> hand to hold the wire, one hand to hold the iron and one hand to hold
> the solder. That's FOUR hands. Unfortunately, I've only got 2.
>
> So, can anyone provide me with some tips. My soldering jobs are taking
> way too long because of this problem.

Almost never do you really have to solder something in mid air while
working on a pinball machine. Normally a part is mounted, then you
solder whatever you have to solder to it, so that gets you one free hand.
If you can't solder in the position that the part is permanently mounted
in, find a coil bracket somewhere nearby and use some electrical tape to
hold the part steady.

Normally, you 'tin' the wires first before doing much of anything. I.E.
heat the wire up, melt some solder on it, and then let it cool. You may
or may not do the same thing to the other end, depending on the
particular job at hand. That frees up another hand.

If you find yourself in the situation where you need three hands to tin a
wire (one on the pliers to hold the wire, one on the iron, and one to
hold the solder), get a long piece of solder and hold it with your teeth.
And pay attention or you'll burn your lips off. And obviously, don't
bite through it! :)

Maybe won't help you with soldering wires but I found the following tips
helpfull:

http://www.circuittechctr.com/guides/guides.shtml

On 23 Sep 2005 15:09:02 -0500, John Bigbooty wrote:

>>I admit it. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to soldering. However,
>>I can manage to solder a good joint IF I can manage to hold everything
>>still.
>>
>>The problem is I don't seem to have enough hands. Assuming I'm trying
>>to solder one wire to one part, I need one hand to hold the part, one
>>hand to hold the wire, one hand to hold the iron and one hand to hold
>>the solder. That's FOUR hands. Unfortunately, I've only got 2.
>>
>>So, can anyone provide me with some tips. My soldering jobs are taking
>>way too long because of this problem.
>>
>>Mark
>>Norcross GA

Regards
Frank-Rainer Grahl
(frgrahl@REMOVE.ME.gmx.net)

Hmmm. (This explains a lot, now.....)

--
Fred
TX

"Karl" <hondaruehs@aol.com> wrote

> > Don't ever put solder in your mouth. It has this stuff called lead in it
> > ughh.
> >
> > Woz
>
> Oh come on, I do this all the time ever since I learned to solder at
> about age 6 or so! Please... It's not like were eating the stuff.
>
> Karl.

woz

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

> If you find yourself in the situation where you need three hands to tin a
> wire (one on the pliers to hold the wire, one on the iron, and one to
> hold the solder), get a long piece of solder and hold it with your teeth.
> And pay attention or you'll burn your lips off. And obviously, don't
> bite through it! :)

Don't ever put solder in your mouth. It has this stuff called lead in it
ughh.

Woz

woz

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

Here's what I do....Tin the wire first. Then tin the part you are soldering
to (e.g coil solder lug). If you have tinned both parts well enough you
won't need to apply additional solder. Then with one hand hold the wire
while heating the lug with the soldering iron in the other. Bring the two
parts together, remove iron, hold wire still while solder cools and you
should have a nice shiny joint. You can then apply extra solder if
necessary.

Woz

"Kenbo" <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:30:47 -0400, "Otto"
> <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >Martin had it right.
> >
> >Called a hemostat
>
> Hemostats come in handy as heat sinks too. You can put them on the leg
> of a microswitch between the solder joint and the switch to keep the
> switch from overheating and to keep flux from dripping into it.
If you need a heat sink at this point..you need to practice your basic
soldering a lot more..

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:53:27 GMT, "pinbob" <robertbryce@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

[...]

>> Hemostats come in handy as heat sinks too. You can put them on the leg
>> of a microswitch between the solder joint and the switch to keep the
>> switch from overheating and to keep flux from dripping into it.
>If you need a heat sink at this point..you need to practice your basic
>soldering a lot more..

I've been soldering for thirty five years, with a bunch of electronics
experience. Are you saying a heat sink is a bad idea? Are you saying
heat is good for a microswitch? Does it extend it's life? Do you know
for a fact you've never overheated something while soldering? I think
I've fixed some switches you have soldered.

"Woz" <adara_wm@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in

>> If you find yourself in the situation where you need three hands to
>> tin a wire (one on the pliers to hold the wire, one on the iron, and
>> one to hold the solder), get a long piece of solder and hold it with
>> your teeth. And pay attention or you'll burn your lips off. And
>> obviously, don't bite through it! :)
>
> Don't ever put solder in your mouth. It has this stuff called lead in
> it ughh.

I didn't say eat it! I said _hold_ it with your teeth. Not chop, grind,
chew, or swallow!

It's not radioactive, it's lead. Obviously I wouldn't want to do a lot of
joints this way, but every once in a long time, sure.

I've never soldered anything in my life, so I picked up some hobby kits
on Ebay to practice on. Maybe after I master building $20 robot kits
I'll be confident enough to work on my $3,000 pinball machine.

The helping hand things are ok if you're working on a bench. No good
though if you're working on an actual machine. You can make your own
variation though. I used some old lamp sockets, attached very rigid
wire and an alligator clip on the other end. If I have a tough solder
job such as 2 or 3 wires that have to be held steady and soldered to
the same point, simply find a suitable place to mount your lamp socket
with an existing screw on the machine, hook the alligator to one of the
wires, bend the rigid wire/alligator clip around to the right shape to
place your wire where you want it where it is going to be soldered,
then repeat for any other wire with another identical setup, then your
wires are right where you want them, held steady, then simply add
solder. I do everything original, the wires are never wrapped before
soldering on a pinball, so I never wrap. Nothing wrong with wrap, but
it does make a mess of the wire by the time you get it unwrapped while
unsoldering. Very rarely I use this setup, as most the time soldering
is a simple matter of hold the wire and iron with one hand, add solder
with the other, and yes I do the sin of holding solder in my teeth if
need be and have for 30 yrs.

"Rictor" <rictor99@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've never soldered anything in my life, so I picked up some hobby kits
> on Ebay to practice on. Maybe after I master building $20 robot kits
> I'll be confident enough to work on my $3,000 pinball machine.

After you build your kits, find a trash pinball board (should be able to
find penty of those for mailing cost), and practice on it. Soldering is
like any skill...you learn to do it with practice, and burn some stuff on
the way. ;-0

Call a VCR repair shop and ask them if they have any old junk boards you can
have to practice soldering skills. The shop I called gave me one for free.
The buy a large pak of cheap resistors, (Electronic Frys or Radio Shack) and
practice taking components off (desoldering is just as important to learn)
and replacing with the resistors. Work on setting them at different heights
too, once you know how to set those wires it will work for most board
components.

GRY