I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite L655-S5111
1. What is your budget?
My budget is under $800 for the laptop.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" Screen, 1366x768
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Don't care. Over 1024x600.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. I am going to be living in the dorm and there just isn't room or time for a desktop computer.
5. How much battery life do you need?
I don't care, but an hour or more night be nice.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
COD6 (High), Bioshock 1(High), Oblivion (High), Crysis (Medium), Metro 2033 (I don't care as long as it runs), Source engine games (I don't think this will be a problem).
I also want to be able to run programs like Blender well and want a laptop capable of running a dual-booted system well.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
3d design and 3d game editing.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
As long as possible. I keep old laptops even when I replace them and they become obsolete. They're useful.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD drive would be nice, but I don't need one.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like Toshiba, because Toshiba's have been good to me. I have a Toshiba Tecra that's been running for ten years. It may have trouble with web browsing, but I still use it to play with DOS.
Acer has worried me. My current laptop is an acer and I have had to self-repair the cord numerous times. On the other hand, I dropped this thing down a flight of stairs and it landed in a bowl of water. It still works fine.
HP is out of consideration. I have had two laptops from HP and both of them died within a year.
13. What country do you live in?
That weird greedy country that's above Mexico but below Canada.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would like your input on brands that have been good to you and brands that have been lousy. If you find a better deal, please tell me.
I just went through this and ended up with a Dell Vostro 3700- from the Dell Outlet with everything- 4gb ram, I5, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GT330, all for under 800 bucks. a 3500 with the same specs can be had also..
It is a new model so not sure if it is any good but at $700 it is hard to beat the specs or for even $800.
After much research I have come to the conclusion that all the major players make some good laptops and some that are crap. I have gone through a high end Toshiba, Sony, and Dell and with hard use and travel each lasted about 2 years before a major break. And they all bounced the same.