Sign in with
Your question

How to transfer information from computr to computer with a ethernet cable

Last response: in Windows 7
December 26, 2012 5:42:26 PM

Hello,
i HAVE TO GET THE INFORMATION ROM MY OLD
COMPUTER TO A "CLEAN' USED COMPUTER. IT HAS BEEN SETUP FOR WINDOWS 7. bECAUSE OF MY WIFES SURGERIES AND THE UPCOMING ONE, WE HAVE TO DO IT OURSELVES. I HAVE A ETHERNET CABLE TO GO FRON COMPUTER TO COMPUTER, BUT THATS IT. I WAS HOPING TO PRINT OUT THE DIRECTIONS AND DO IT MYSELF.
December 26, 2012 5:54:24 PM

You can do it with an Ethernet cable alone if it is a crossover or if one, or both, of the computers does auto crossover. Have you tried plugging them in and seeing if the link lights come on?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 5:55:05 PM

Peer-to-Peer without a switch typically requires a crossover cable. Then you can use Microsoft's Easy Transfer Wizard to transfer data and program settings from one PC to another. Just be aware that the transfer wizard can not transfer from Windows 7 (or Vista) to XP, or from 64-bit to 32-bit.
m
l
December 26, 2012 5:56:29 PM

where to start, first, can't be done with standard ethernet cable, you need a peer-to-peer network cable, average cost is about $15 US for 6 foot cable, then you need to setup the network, same network names on each pc, then you have to turn file sharing on, right clicking on folder or drive, click file sharing, enable an then rebooting both pc's to recognize files or drive shared, then using explorer, explore the share drive or files through the network and copy the files, this is a long process and may not always work properly, i would suggest removing the drive from wife's pc, find out if it's a PATA or SATA drive, go to best buy and get a Nexstar cx USB drive enclosure, about $20 US and once setup plug into USB of new pc to copy whatever files necessary, no sharing, access to all files, simpler in getting done, less time to transfer data
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 6:05:47 PM

Lord the misinformation. Any network cable will work if one of the computers has a gigabit port. They automatically sense the connection. Crossover or "peer to peer" cables have not been needed for years, unless working with really old equipment.

Http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/sharing-file...
m
l
!