Sign in with
Your question

How to transfer information from computr to computer with a ethernet cable

Last response: in Windows 7
December 26, 2012 5:42:26 PM

Hello,
i HAVE TO GET THE INFORMATION ROM MY OLD
COMPUTER TO A "CLEAN' USED COMPUTER. IT HAS BEEN SETUP FOR WINDOWS 7. bECAUSE OF MY WIFES SURGERIES AND THE UPCOMING ONE, WE HAVE TO DO IT OURSELVES. I HAVE A ETHERNET CABLE TO GO FRON COMPUTER TO COMPUTER, BUT THATS IT. I WAS HOPING TO PRINT OUT THE DIRECTIONS AND DO IT MYSELF.
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 6:13:08 PM

If at least one of them has a gigabit Ethernet then you can just use an Ethernet patch cable to connect them, if both have older 10/100Mbps ports you need a crossover cable to make the connection unless you have a router or switch available.
m
l
December 26, 2012 6:20:19 PM

Anyway what's up with the caps? The best advice is to buy a USB drive and transfer files this way. Transferring files through network cable will take forever!
How much data do you have?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 7:24:25 PM

Transfer through network will be of cause the fastest and cheapest way, if you have the cable! Just plug the cable in and restart both machines. If they don't have a static ip address, it will take a while, because windows has to assign one. Make sure, that both machines are in the same workgroup (right click on the computer icon on the desktop / properties). You should see the other laptop under network in explorer now. If you don't see a folder you want to copy files from, right click on it on the other laptop and share it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 7:25:45 PM

maxinexus said:
Anyway what's up with the caps? The best advice is to buy a USB drive and transfer files this way. Transferring files through network cable will take forever!
How much data do you have?

What crap is that? Even at 10mbit it would be faster then copying via a flash drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 7:55:20 PM

Think he means a usb hard drive...
m
l
!