800 vs. 1000 MHz Hypertransport

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm currently running an Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester on a MOBO with the NForce 3 250GB chipset, which has a Hypertransport speed of 800 MHz.

Since the 3500+ hypertransport speed is 1GHz, I'm wondering if upgrading to a MOBO with 1 GHz hypertransport would be worth it. Would there be a noticeable increase in system speed?

Thanks for your help.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, I invested in a high-end expensive AGP card last year, and I really don't want to get rid of it right now.

Just curious if the extra HT speed really does anything in "real world" situations.

Thanks.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."

pat

Expert
No. even at 600 MHz, you wont notice any slowdown. But for marketing, bigger number is better!!! Your CPU support 1GHz HT, doesnt means that it use it fully.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
After much testing, I've found 1000HT to have less advantage over 800HT than Dual-Channel over Single-Channel on Athlon 64's. And even that one is so small you wouldn't notice the difference. 1-3FPS on a game that's doing 50+ FPS isn't noticeable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I figured it probably wouldn't make much of a difference in real world use.

I guess it wouldn't be worth the upgrade, even with the added Nvidia firewall.

Thanks.