MN-700 European Capatability

Last response: in Networking
October 5, 2004 2:25:01 PM

Just wondering if anyone who has the MN-700 MS wireless
base station can tell me if it looks like the router has
a switch (internal or external) so it can plug into both
an American and a standard European power system (230V).
Most computers have this feature nowadays where you only
need a adapter to change the physical shape of the power
plug but I wanted to know if this base station has the
same compatability, so I can use this base station in
both Europe and the US. Thanks in advance.
October 5, 2004 3:15:31 PM

Dear April,

The question you really are asking is:

"Is the adapter that comes with the last edition of the
MN-700 base station a Universal Power Adapter (UPA)?"
UPAs will accept 105-220V 50-60 cycle AC input. The
answer is yes (at least mine is a UPA). This means all
you need is a plug adapter for the countr(ies)y you are
visiting and the power adapter will work.

The question you should be asking is:

"Can I use the MN-700 for wireless internet connection
outside North America?" The answer is an emphatic NO.
The freqeuncies utilized by the MN-700 would not be
license in most other countries for wireless internet
connectivity. In fact, in some EU countries they are
licensed for Emergency Services. You run the risk of
operating illegally. If you were discovered doing so
(for example, your MN-700 was blocking ambulance or fire
communications channels), you face rather stiff criminal
penalties and jail time.

So, good luck!

---* Ken

October 5, 2004 3:46:12 PM

April,

Here's some help on which channels are legal WLAN by
country:

10-13 (France, Jordan)
1-11 (U.S.)
1-13,14 (Japan)

---* Ken

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 5:47:42 PM

Mine does NOT.
Furthermore, I doubt any of the MS gear would because they support it only
for N.America as far as I know...

"April" <aenoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering if anyone who has the MN-700 MS wireless
> base station can tell me if it looks like the router has
> a switch (internal or external) so it can plug into both
> an American and a standard European power system (230V).
> Most computers have this feature nowadays where you only
> need a adapter to change the physical shape of the power
> plug but I wanted to know if this base station has the
> same compatability, so I can use this base station in
> both Europe and the US. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 7:04:52 PM

Hi Ken!

Thanks for the help. Yes, Big thanks for clarifying my
question much better then I could. I heard some ppl say
that if the device was "Wi-Fi certified" - then the
signal would not interfere with other frequencies in
other countries. Do you know anything about this
certification and does this mean the certification is
internationally recognized?

October 8, 2004 5:39:56 PM

Mine did not come with a universal power adapter. It will
only accept 110V. I will move back to Europe in a month
and I'm not sure how to get it to work over there?? Help!!

JER

October 9, 2004 12:30:01 AM

Get one of those small 220v>110 Volts comverters.
You will should one at Radio Schack
and at most luggage shops.

"JER" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
0c5801c4ad76$f8c988c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Mine did not come with a universal power adapter. It will
> only accept 110V. I will move back to Europe in a month
> and I'm not sure how to get it to work over there?? Help!!
>
> JER

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 3:40:09 AM

Get a router designed for your local market.

The MN700 is designed for NA markets only.

As such, it only supports broadband connection types commonly found in NA
(i.e. it doesn't have PPTP support)
There are more wireless frequencies available for use in Europe.
Ane more

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"JER" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mine did not come with a universal power adapter. It will
> only accept 110V. I will move back to Europe in a month
> and I'm not sure how to get it to work over there?? Help!!
>
> JER

October 9, 2004 3:15:53 PM

Correction `

"GF" <x@noone.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
uNl7bcZrEHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Get one of those small 220v>110 Volts comverters.
> You should find one at Radio Schack
> and at most luggage shops.
>
> "JER" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> news: 0c5801c4ad76$f8c988c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>> Mine did not come with a universal power adapter. It will
>> only accept 110V. I will move back to Europe in a month
>> and I'm not sure how to get it to work over there?? Help!!
>>
>> JER

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 4:08:31 PM

I am using the MN-700 in Italy, the orginal adapter
doesn't work, it needs 110V input, but you can buy an
aftermarket 12V DC 1A adapter and it'll work fine.

!