Your question

Monitor For Programming and Gaming

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 14, 2012 1:36:11 PM

Is there any out there?
a b 4 Gaming
a c 109 C Monitor
February 14, 2012 3:01:44 PM

no.. programmers and gamers plug cables directly into their brains instead.

it sounds like you should have first taken a look at some other posts to get an idea what you want.

size of screen?
-20, 22 or 24 are common. i wouldnt suggest a tn panel above 22 or 24 as you might get color shift. explained later.

resolution?
-1920x1080 is most common. best for movies. for programming you might want a 1920x1200 monitor instead but you will get letterboxed when watching 1080p content.

panel type?
-tn panels are cheap but have color shift if you look at them from a slight angle. at times this is also shows around the edges of large panels due to the angle of viewing. color shift is when colors on screen appear to invert or grey-out. next are va panels which i do not know much about. next up are 6bit e-ips panels which provide the same color accuracy as the first two but have a very wide viewing angle. next up are 8bit p-ips, h-ips and s-ips panels which are the best you can get in terms of color accuracy.

input?
-dvi or hdmi. i prefer dvi but it really doesnt matter much unless you want 120hz.

60hz or 120hz?
-only tn panels offer dual-dvi plug 120hz mode. some people swear by them but unless you are pushing 100+fps in a game its useless. you are also limited to a tn panel. i always recommend a quality panel instead of a 120hz tn.

led or ccfl backlight?
-cheap led versions can appear to have a slight blue hue which you can adjust out i have heard. they also save more money then ccfl versions. ccfl doesnt have any hue issues but arent as energy efficient. image quality (besides the hue on cheap leds) is more or less the same.

vesa mount?
-for wall hanging or mounts. most pro monitors have them

brand?
-i prefer viewsonic but quite a few people recommend dell or asus products on here.

---

read up on monitors and then let us know what you want. however, it is best if you look for yourself to see what products you are most interested in.
m
l
February 16, 2012 5:34:58 AM

I dont get it, when I watch 1080p content on my screen (1920x1080) I still get letter boxed.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2012 6:22:00 AM

freshbuilder said:
I dont get it, when I watch 1080p content on my screen (1920x1080) I still get letter boxed.

I think thats to do with 16:9 aspect ratio, i could be wrong.
m
l
February 16, 2012 7:12:16 AM

ssddx said:
no.. programmers and gamers plug cables directly into their brains instead.

it sounds like you should have first taken a look at some other posts to get an idea what you want.

size of screen?
-20, 22 or 24 are common. i wouldnt suggest a tn panel above 22 or 24 as you might get color shift. explained later.

resolution?
-1920x1080 is most common. best for movies. for programming you might want a 1920x1200 monitor instead but you will get letterboxed when watching 1080p content.

panel type?
-tn panels are cheap but have color shift if you look at them from a slight angle. at times this is also shows around the edges of large panels due to the angle of viewing. color shift is when colors on screen appear to invert or grey-out. next are va panels which i do not know much about. next up are 6bit e-ips panels which provide the same color accuracy as the first two but have a very wide viewing angle. next up are 8bit p-ips, h-ips and s-ips panels which are the best you can get in terms of color accuracy.

input?
-dvi or hdmi. i prefer dvi but it really doesnt matter much unless you want 120hz.

60hz or 120hz?
-only tn panels offer dual-dvi plug 120hz mode. some people swear by them but unless you are pushing 100+fps in a game its useless. you are also limited to a tn panel. i always recommend a quality panel instead of a 120hz tn.

led or ccfl backlight?
-cheap led versions can appear to have a slight blue hue which you can adjust out i have heard. they also save more money then ccfl versions. ccfl doesnt have any hue issues but arent as energy efficient. image quality (besides the hue on cheap leds) is more or less the same.

vesa mount?
-for wall hanging or mounts. most pro monitors have them

brand?
-i prefer viewsonic but quite a few people recommend dell or asus products on here.

---

read up on monitors and then let us know what you want. however, it is best if you look for yourself to see what products you are most interested in.

Thanks for the sarcasm, but what i was trying to tell that a monitor for both suitable to play games and write code. Writing code means for me good and sharp fonts, minimum eye hurting. I have eye dryness, it is painful enough. Maybe some monitors hurts eyes less than others.

Also thanks for the suggestions.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 109 C Monitor
February 16, 2012 10:49:24 AM

@fresh

some video content actually has the black letterbox as part of the video stream. there isnt much you can do in this case.

@op

sarcasm is to be expected when you didnt seem to do any research first. we have to answer posts like this almost every day. it really helps when we do not have to list every single option.

generally speaking if you want things to remain crisp then the smaller the panel at 1080p the better. for instance a 22" instead of a 24". or the other route is to go with something like the 30" dell with the 2560x resolution.

i use a monitor for 9 hours a day.. really the only things you can do are to turn the brightness down to a manageable level and take short breaks (look away from the screen) once in awhile. oh and do NOT forget to blink. sounds silly but its common to not blink and it makes dry eyes worse (i get dry eyes sometimes too). eye drops might be of help too. oh and eliminating glare (use matte screens) can help as well. make sure you have ambient light (preferably natural not florescent) as well.

i tend to always recommend e-ips or ips because of the viewing angle. personally i always use 8bit panels for the color and quality. however, you could use whatever monitor you want. i gave you some options and things to look for but ultimately it is your choice. my first sarcastic comment aside, there isnt any product i know of that fixes your problem of dry eyes. the suggestions i listed are bound to help more than any product.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 16, 2012 2:46:22 PM

Get the U2312HM.
m
l
February 16, 2012 7:16:07 PM

It seems i will settle for an IPS. What models do you suggest at IPS monitor? Are 8-bit IPSs very expensive?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 109 C Monitor
February 16, 2012 7:25:06 PM

personally i love my viewsonic professional. others seem to like dell.

its been awhile since i had to check prices but...
6bit were hovering around $300
8bit were hovering around $500-600
the dell u3011 2560x display was around $1000

you might be able to find cheaper prices... but its a good estimate.
m
l
February 17, 2012 9:40:25 AM

Maybe i will go for 2 x 21" if display is sharper than 23".

I will look my the big markets and e-commerce sites in Turkey. Because unfortunately we can not find much IPS here. Turkey is a TN panel heaven.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 109 C Monitor
February 17, 2012 11:19:44 AM

the smaller you go at 1080p the more crisp the text will be. however this is not telling you to go out and try to find a 4" 1080p screen. there is a "good enough" factor.

generally speaking 22" 1080p should be more than fine.

tn panels are cheap which is why they are so widespread. e-ips (6bit) might be easier to find then the other ips (8bit) types.

dualscreen works fine. its great for office work or design work. some games can also take advantage as well. however, if you play shooter games you will not want to fullscreen across both monitors as the reticle will be at the bezel. you would have to run it maximized on only one screen.
m
l
February 17, 2012 12:28:03 PM

Ok. So far i found:

LG IPS236V IPS
Dell U2312HM
Asus ML239H

Oh for a side note i will also use PS3 with this monitor.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 109 C Monitor
February 17, 2012 2:28:03 PM

ps3 requires hdcp compliancy. check this on the monitor you will purchase.

out of those three choices... dell or asus. i'd avoid lg as i've heard bad things about customer service lately.
m
l
February 17, 2012 6:55:05 PM

Oh and also i find:

Viewsonic VP2365WB 23"
m
l
February 18, 2012 10:24:29 AM

Don't forget to consider the emerging technology of PLS panels. I have had my Samsung S27A850 for a couple of weeks now and it's the best display I have ever had.

It's a "professional" 8 bit monitor with a res of 2560x1440 across 27". I use it for 3D applications and gaming but would imagine it would be good for programming also due to all of the extra space that comes with the high res. It's soo sharp and has no aggresive anti-glare coating (which can make reading black text on a white background difficult) like what you find on the Dell IPS's.

Because of the LED backlighting this particular panel is slimmer and consumes less power than an IPS of similar specs.

The only downside is that I have to sit a bit closer to the screen because of the pixel density and there is a low level of backlight bleed.

It's up to you but this one is a good option IMO.
m
l
February 19, 2012 4:59:09 PM

You seriously expect the OP to wade through 96 pages of that forum? If penguin_guy wanted to do all of the reading he wouldn't have posted here in the first place :p 

Perhaps you could summarize for the OP?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2012 6:22:57 PM

I personally have read through it all. :p 

It has no noticeable backlight bleed. The main problem is some IPS glow out of the box but can be calibrated using the menu options. Here is a shorter version than the thread: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm
m
l
February 19, 2012 9:22:57 PM

So you suggest U2412HM over U2312HM?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 19, 2012 11:10:01 PM

It is M, not HM. :p 
Now I do, after learning that the .6ms was with using a lesser tool. The input lag is the same for both monitors.
m
l
February 20, 2012 6:50:53 AM

Pardon it is M =)

".6ms was with using a lesser tool." ? What does it mean? Can you elaborate?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2012 10:47:09 PM

They didn't use a high-end measurement tool for the input, so the measurement was a bit off.
m
l
!