Benchmark? Cool&Quiet vs Full power

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Howdy,
I wanted to know if there is any benchmarks around showing performance with C&Q enabled and with it disabled? C&Q never did much for the 3200+ I had. A few weeks ago I got an X2 4400+ so I figured C&Q would have more of an effect. I searched around a couple weeks ago about this and couldn't find much.

Yesterday I started a new game of HL2 (Single player). I was at the spot on d1_canal where you come out of the train tunnel and drop into the water. Looking out into the city and watching the Combine train go by, fps would drop down to 31-33 with C&Q enabled. Turning C&Q off and playing that same section, fps drops down to 42-43. Maybe it's just my imagination but I've also noticed an impact when using Photoshop. Things just don't seem to be as "snappy" with C&Q enabled.

The cpu will go back up to full speed, it seems, under limited circumstances. Like a constant, full load. Running 2 instances of F@H you can see it works. But applications that are more in line with real world use, it feels the software isn't fast enough. By that I don't mean the applications but the driver itself. I forgot the exact number but I remember reading a pdf about how many times the cpu could change voltage in a single second. But the request/demand for increase in speed/voltage is sent by software correct?

System:
x2 4400+
DFI LP UT Ultra-D
2x 1gb pqi turbo pc3200
eVGA 6800GT
36gb Raptor (os/apps)
XP32/sp2

pat

Expert
Cool n quiet driver sense the load for the CPU and adjust it. When playing, sometime there is not a lot of thing to do for a CPU, as the video card is doing moch of the work. So, even if you CPU is in the 1 GHz range, it should suffice. But, when something happen, the C,Q drivers sometime dont react fast enough because the game is loading the cpu, and dont put the cpu on full power fast enough. This will show up in game. Just like photoshop. When you are doing simple thing, like browsing the interface or easy filter, the cpu is set to lower speed. But, when something hard is put on, then the driver has to command the CPU to go faster. Which could take some time.

I disable CnQ when I do intensive work, but I enable it one done for light duty.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Yep that's exactly what it seems like. I'm sure at the hardware level the cpu is capable of keeping up with the constant fluctuations of an app/game. But it's still run by software, which I think at least at this point is holding it back. Since I noticed this in the game, I have disabled C&Q. With it disabled I'm only running 3-4C warmer, the hsf (Zalman 7700Cu) is always going at a constant speed so I'll leave it like that. Thank you for the reply.