Sign in with
Your question

Do i need a router

Last response: in Windows 7
December 26, 2012 7:39:20 PM

i have a older laptop i have fee internet but its not picking up its saying something about i believe i need a router so if i get a router do i need a phone line to

More about : router

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 7:45:29 PM

Need to know the exact message.

If you have free wifi where you are living you don't need a router if it works to your liking (once you get it working). If you get your own DSL (phone) or cable internet connection then you'll need a wireless router or a cable modem with wireless router built in.

Also, please don't double post or type in all caps (your other post...).
m
l
a b D Laptop
December 26, 2012 7:45:53 PM

You use a router to split your internet access from an ISP (cable or dsl) so that multiple computers can share the connection.

If you have been using someone elses wifi to get access to the internet and it's not working any more they probably changed the router or enabled security on it. If you can find the neighbor with the wifi and they agree to share it with you that would work.

Otherwise you need to get your own internet from an ISP or use dial up over a phone line.
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2012 8:12:03 PM

TINY_1 said:
i have a older laptop i have free internet but its not picking up its saying something about i believe i need a router so if i get a router do i need a phone line to

A lot of apts have free internet.
You do need to have the password to gain access to the buildings router.
So ask for that password. They may also have a sheet that gives the steps to follow.

What OS or version of windows is installed on your laptop?
m
l
!