Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Shuts Off by Itself

Last response: in CPUs
August 22, 2005 1:49:04 AM

Ok, first off, I am not sure where to put this thread, so I will post it here, hope it is OK.

Now the problem:

My brother-in-law and I built a computer. Everything seems to run fine, however, when I am playing a game, the monitor goes into sleep mode and can not be woken up (The monitor light turns to orange).

Now, I am pretty sure nothing is overheating. Playing Medieval Total War (I know it's a bit older but...) the temp on the graphics card, CPU and mother board never gets above 50C (about 48C). I also took off the side of the case and aimed a house fan at the mother board. All temps went down 10C and the monitor still went into sleep mode.

I have also adjusted the power setting to never turn anything off.

I have already tried another already working monitor and the same thing happened.

Is there something in the BIOS that could be causing this? Is there any sites that give detailed explanations of BIOS settings?

What the heck is going on? It is very frustrating.

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4Ghz
1 MSI Geforce NX6600GT PCI express 128mb
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe Mother Board
1 Gig of Ram
1 Seagate 200Gig Hard Drive
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 fan/heatsink
Antec Smart Power 400W
1 DVD RW Drive and 1 Floppy

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by boco0302 on 08/21/05 10:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : monitor shuts

August 22, 2005 8:41:11 AM

try post in the correct forum
August 22, 2005 9:44:39 AM

Wrong forum. Thanks.

August 22, 2005 3:08:23 PM

Wrong forum, but sounds like the graphics card to me. First obvious thought: is the extra power molex plugged into the card?

:evil:  یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil: 
<font color=red><i>The Devil himself is good, when he is pleased.</i></font color=red>
@ 195K of 200K!
August 22, 2005 7:58:29 PM

Ok, I have moved my post to another thread but to answer slvr_phoenix's question.

Power molex? What is this :) ? If it is a plug on the card that runs from power supply to the card, I could not find any.

Sorry for original post being in wrong forum.
August 22, 2005 8:51:18 PM

There are a great deal of A64 mobos that have many power nodes to plug power cables into it, to provide a more stable voltage rail.

My mobo (dfi lanparty nf4 SLI-DR) has 4 power nodes to plug in. Check with the mobo manual on this topic.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2005 12:23:44 AM

Bios settings - check any timeout things in the power menu / area.

Once the monitor shuts down, can you wake it back up or is that it until reset?

Perhaps its the game causing it? try other apps?
!