My sister needs help.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
This isn't much to go. Hopefuly she will keep me updated and with your help we can solve this. Thanks

I have been getting viruses at work.....my Norton security caught them and corrected them. Then later in the day my computer started freezing up and I would have to reboot. Today was a total nightmare. Every twenty minutes and less, it would freeze no matter what program I was in. The only way to get out of it was to reset it. Any ideas on what would cause that? This computer at work has been trouble since day one, but they're looking at me like I've done something to it. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Complicated Nit Picker

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Can you use System Restore and revert back to a time safely where there weren't any viruses yet?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for you responses. I ask, but will have to wait till she get's back to me. Right now I only know what I wrote and will post when I know more.

Complicated Nit Picker

G

You might want to check your virtual memory and see how much you have. You can allow the computer to set the virtual memory for you if you don't know how much you need. How much RAM do you currently have? Disable your virus scanner, reboot and see if your PC speed revised back to normal. Try not to have any program launch when you start your PC, it slows down your PC. Also try different monitor resolution and refresh rate. I know it doesn't make sense, but it fixed a couple problems in the past. The last thing you want to do is to wipe out your HD and do a fresh install. Try to use a program called Lysol to wipe out your HD, it works great. When diagnosting a PC issue, you have to take everything into consideration.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
My computer is fine, it was my sister's at work. But thanks for the info. anyway.
Before I could get any help to her, they went out and bought a new PC. They got a PC with winXP and I have a feeling she's going to be looking for another job? She hates computer. She doesn't mind using them, but she doesn't like all the problems the older one was giving her and I don't see XP coming to the rescue.

Complicated Nit Picker