D-Bay hard drive 'enclosure' only?

I've got a Latitude D600, and I'd like to add a second hard drive, but
Dell wants ${200,250} for a 40-gig "second hard drive", Dell Product
COde 40D2, SKU [340-7881] which is a bit pricay, and smaller than I'd
like to put in it. I've seen the bare housings on Ebay for around
$50, and I've got plenty of spare drives kicking around, but I've got
a couple of questions:

Does every Dell model support the same I/O interface on the D-Bay
(it's IDE), so even if it's not listed among the "supported models" on
the eBay listings, I can be fairly certain it'll work?

Is there any reason the housing wouldn't support (say) a 60G, 7200RPM
laptop drive, or an {80,100,120}G slower drive?

Can I buy the 'enclosure' from Dell without the hard drive and add my
own, or am I stuck with aftermarket parts?

Is there a regular, supported, retail source of these things? eBay
doesn't really rock my socks...

Thanks in advance for any hints, Dell's WWWebsite has exactly no
information on these things except for their price, and only by
configuring a laptop with one in it was I able to find the part
number!

--
William Smith

William P.N. Smith wrote:
>Can I buy the 'enclosure' from Dell without the hard drive and add my
>own, or am I stuck with aftermarket parts?

Part number 4P124 is the "media carrier", it's $29.95. It requires
four screws of a part number 5X488 for $4.95 each (yow!), and one
screw part number 7M490 for $0.50 each. Still, for the same $50 you
pay for a pig in a poke on eBay you can get the real thing from Dell.
It'd be a lot less if I could figure out what the $5 screws are, but
I'll report in when they arrive on just how special they are...

William P.N. Smith wrote:
>Part number 4P124 is the "media carrier", it's $29.95. It requires
>four screws of a part number 5X488 for $4.95 each (yow!), and one
>screw part number 7M490 for $0.50 each. Still, for the same $50 you
>pay for a pig in a poke on eBay you can get the real thing from Dell.
>It'd be a lot less if I could figure out what the $5 screws are, but
>I'll report in when they arrive on just how special they are...

There's a "how to assemble" at http://www.bay-wolf.com/hdmedbay-d.htm
though it talks about different numbers of the various screws. More
details when the bits arrive...