Sign in with
Your question

A64 3000+/A64 3200+(Venice) OC?

Last response: in CPUs
August 23, 2005 6:56:41 AM

Im a new come here and have a little knowledge of overclock
Could someone tell me which one is easier to overclock ?3000+ and 3200+,they are all venice core.

your comment is appreciated .thx
August 23, 2005 6:59:31 AM

I know MOBO and RAM are also important factors in OC..
August 23, 2005 10:35:33 AM

thx very much . It means that reach the same Ghz the 3200+ with x10 requires lower FSB ,that's right?

I notice that you have said (in other topics..)OC 3000+ should be luck enough than OC 3200+ that's true?
Related resources
August 23, 2005 10:42:59 AM

I want a MOBO with good performance/price ratio without SLI
DFI is a little difficult to set and GIGAbytes isnt good at OC ,I think .what's the suggestion ?
August 23, 2005 11:10:55 AM

That's basically right. My Winchester 3200's running at 2.6Ghz, 260x10, with the RAM in synch. To get the same speed out of a 3000+ I'd need to be running 289x9, and getting RAM to run that fast (289Mhz) is pushing it (depending on the RAM, of course, but it'll cost more) so you may end up needing to use a Divider so you'd lose a bit of performance..

It just gives you that little bit more flexibility with the higher multiplier available (remember the A64 multis are unlocked downwards, so I could use 9x if I wanted anyway)

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."
August 23, 2005 11:20:15 AM

I know the bechies show you really don't lose <i>that</i> much performance, but to me it still seems like cheating :lol: 

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."
August 23, 2005 11:42:11 AM

How about your temperature when running at 2.6Ghz,above 50?

Generally ,3000+ and 3200+ could OC to what level according to normal condition ?
August 23, 2005 11:49:51 AM

41-42C full load. This is with a TT XP-120 CPU cooler (with some average 120mm Fan the make of which currently escapes me), in an Antec P-160 Case with a 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust.

---
August 23, 2005 11:57:50 AM

As to how far they'll OC, it depends on many factors, but from what I've been reading about the Venice cores, 2.5Ghz would be a fairly easy to hit target. Of course you may be unlucky and get a poor overclocking core, or you may not.

For instance, I have a Winchester 3200+, and so does Ned_Flanders (another user here). I had little or no trouble getting mine to run at 2.6Ghz with the stock cooler, whereas he had a real nightmare trying to get over 2.5 or so, and he's using water cooling. The newer Venice cores seem much more consistent overclockers than the winchesters though. Many people are getting 2.7Ghz and above.

If you can find out the stepping code on the CPU before you buy, post back here and someone will probably know if it comes from a 'good' overclocking batch or a bad one. I have an Athlon XP1700+ that comes from a renowned good batch, which is why I bought it to replace a 2000+.

So in other words, you never know until you try, but it's the trying that's fun. :smile:

---
August 23, 2005 11:59:05 AM

ohoo..my friend's beyond 55C,maybe the GOD dont bless him:) 
August 23, 2005 12:04:16 PM

Different CPU, Different Case, Different cooler, Different Ambient Temperature, different vCore.... There are loads of things that affect CPU temp. I'm just aware of all of them, whereas perhaps he isn't... :wink:

---
August 23, 2005 12:11:29 PM

I suppose the stepping code cant suggest the ability of overclocking accurately ,do you think so? and the one who OC to 2.7Ghz is minority. thx
August 23, 2005 12:27:37 PM

Well, certain batches just happen to be better than others, as with anything mass-produced. You'll get poor overclocking batches, good overclocking batches, and awesome ones. Within each batch you might get the odd individual core that OC's better than the others, but the batch/stepping is still a good indication of how it'll do. There's two parts to it really - The actual stepping code which tells you about how the chip was made (they make minor tweaks to the lines and stuff over time), and a Week/year number which tells you when it was made.

I have no idea about the Venice cores though. Try googling "Venice Cores Stepping overclock" or something.

I simply haven't seen (well, paid much attention to) enough people ocing their Venices to say how likely you are to get to 2.XGhz. I haven't seen anyone have problems ocing a Venice like I have with the Winchesters, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. Based on all that it <i>seems</i> to me that your Average Venice should be a pretty good overclocker, but you should never <i>expect</i> a certain speed. It's all <b>free</b> additional performance....

---
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2005 12:54:03 PM

If youi dig in <A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=..." target="_new">Here</A> , you can probably find the good batches, these guys keep records of this and are crazy Ocer...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
August 23, 2005 7:13:31 PM

Quote:
41-42C full load. This is with a TT XP-120 CPU cooler (with some average 120mm Fan the make of which currently escapes me), in an Antec P-160 Case with a 120mm intake and a 120mm exhaust.

I wish I can use that HSF but Id screw myself out of SLI.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
August 23, 2005 7:15:28 PM

Both these chips have about the same OC cap. With the 3000 chip, it does require having slightly better RAM than you would have with the 3200.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
August 24, 2005 12:47:22 AM

Another question:
1)1G RAM is a standard for a new rig now ?
2)which video card can meet the capability of the 3000+ or 3200+?
3)which video card do a good job in CAD(exclude special card)?I have been told that the nVIDIA's is much better than ATI.:( 
August 24, 2005 10:19:22 AM

I generally don't research those sorts of things unless I'm about to buy a chip (although my Winchester didn't get researched much as I needed a replacement for the AXP machine quickly), but I'll Take note of that one anyway... Cheers bud, might bookmark it and point those who want to know such things in that direction...

Maybe I should give HolyLancer(?) something else to start thinking about... :evil: 

---
August 24, 2005 10:32:20 AM

1Gb is now <i>minimum</i>. I'd reccomend 2Gb I think, but if budget becomes a concern then dropping to 1Gb is acceptable for the most part (a machine with 1Gb of RAM and a 7800GTX will still be a better gaming rig than one with 2Gb of RAM and a 9800Pro) Some newer games will really benefit from 2Gb - Battlefield 2 being a prime example - but for the most part 1Gb will do really. (I have 'only' 1Gb myself).

On the graphics card question, I'm not at all an expert in the CAD field, but I've also heard that Nvidia cards tend to be the better pick there, because 3d CAD stuff usually uses OpenGL and nvidia's OGL drivers are better than Ati's.

Based on that, maybe something like a 6800GT would be a good buy? I'm assuming by saying 'exclude special card' you mean you don't want the proper workstation cards which - as Wusy said - will cost you a lot.

It is sometimes possible to flash a mainstream gaming card into its workstation equivalent, but I'm not the man to ask there.. :eek: 

---
August 24, 2005 11:00:59 AM

I keep getting errors.... Now I'm thinking maybe it's not M$ at all, but I have the WRONG STEPPING!!! Please help me!

:evil: 

---
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2005 12:58:17 PM

ROFLMAO!!

August 24, 2005 1:10:13 PM

what did i do this time?! and what did that comment means? to give a chip to me or about how DFI is hard to setup?

AMD A64 3200+Venice
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 3-3-3-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2005 1:11:40 PM

wrong steeping? time to break out cpuz!

sorry for double post, but i didn't saw the second page.....

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2005 1:14:45 PM

Post deleted by TheHolyLancer
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2005 1:35:04 PM

Quote:
Core Stepping DH-E3

That is the important part of your 10 page post. You don't need to double post in the same forum.

August 24, 2005 1:35:57 PM

ops deling this one

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC
!