TECH: HELP! TZ gumball stopped operating

Hi folks,

Just finished cleaning my playfield with the Treasure-Cove kit, and put
a layer of wax on, then started to play.

i loaded one ball in the gumball for a toal of 4, so one should pop
out, as it always has done. The knob tries to turn then stops.

So, I forced the left/right ramp combo to try one more ball. same
thing.

Now I have 4 balls in the gumball(3 of them are down in the "carousel"
holes that turn for them to drop out.....

I went through all the test, but can't find one to exercise the
gumball to try to figure out what is going on.

The gumball has worked absolutely perfectly since I got the TZ about a
month ago..

Now, of course, since there are only 3 balls in the out hole area, it
will not advance a ball to the trough..

help, please......
21 answers Last reply
More about tech help gumball stopped operating

    Hi Lloyd,

    I found test T17(gumball test). I am running 9.4h.

    I have four balls in the 4 carousel positions in the bottome of the
    gumball. when the machine starts the test, the carousel rotates, but
    no ball comes out the front. the autoshooter fires a ball in, the
    carousel turns again inside the gumball, but the knob does not turn
    and no ball comes out.....

    it seems like electrical is good, filling the machine is no problem,
    turning the carousel works, it just won't pop out a ball.

    Incidentally, when the carousel turns each time, it seems stuck at
    first, then turns abruptly......

    I am now getting an error message, "gumball error check geneva
    switch"......

    lloyd, thanks so much for helping me real time on this!

    first off, I found the Geneva switch from searching past posts. both
    the green and white leads are still soldered on.

    ok, I removed the vertical, plastic feeder plastic out of the
    machine, and there are NO balls that I can remove. all four have
    dropped down into the 4 positions on the carousel that tries to turn.

    sorry,

    actually, I have 3 balls in the carousel, the 4th ball position is
    empty, and I have 2 balls in the trougth.......hum......sounds like a
    ball somehow jammed in the bottom of the gumball when trying to
    release, is that possible?

    ok, I'm a dope, I found the 6th ball, it's in the wire ramp above the
    gumball maching since I had the pf turned upward.....do'h....

    no, unfortunately.

    when I run the test, one of two things happens:

    1. the carousel and knob turn, but it's not a smooth turn like I see
    during gameplay. It's a quick, violent turn.

    or

    2. the carousel and knob try to turn left, then right, then stop and I
    get the Geneva switch error message...

    no.

    when running the gumball tests, one of two things will happen:

    the carousel will turn along with the knob on the front, but it's not
    the smooth turn like I see during gameplay. The knob and carousel
    turn very fast and violently, and no ball will come out.

    then during a 2nd gumball test, the knob and carousel will try to turn
    a little left, then a little right, then stop, and I will get the
    geneva switch error message....

    in order to restart the gumball test, I reach in to remov the two
    balls that are in the globe(the other four are in the carousel),
    drop them into the out hole, and start the test again.

    well,

    it is now stuck doing the left/right jig, and popping up with the
    geneva message, so this thing is jammed.....

    OK, I have been around my machine quite a bit shopping it out,
    replacing the main ramp, flipper assemblies, etc.....so can you just
    give me a quick course in how much has to come off? I just want
    to ensure I attack this thing properly.

    My guess:

    1. remove back board
    2. remove triple tier of flasher lights in the back left corner of
    pf
    3. remove the red "flooring" surrounding cane-shaped wire ramp into
    the gumball
    4. remove the wire ramp into the gumball....

    Am I close?

    OK, I got it removed. I'll goof around with it to see what I can
    see....

    OK, Lloyd, I found it immediately!

    I was wondering where one of my grey rubber switch covers I have on
    the upper pf switches went to the other day!!!

    It's inside the gumball, and apparently, lasted for several days before
    getting in the wrong position......

    pulled it out with tweezers.........

    should I be able to manually turn the carousel manually? I hope not
    as it won't budge, but I defintely removed the obstruction. I'll put
    it back into a "temporary" mounting and give it a try....

    OK, it's good to go!

    Lloyd, I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help here. this NG
    rocks!!

    If you are ever in Columbus, OH, I'm buying you dinner...

    thanks again.......

    OK,

    I have the entire back section removed. The four screws holding the
    gumball to the top of the pf have been removed, All electrical
    connectors under the bottom have been labled and pulled, so the
    gumball is floating free, but won't pull through the top due to
    hardware on the gumball under the pf that is wider than the opening.

    so, at this point, what do I do to get the gumball removed? do I have
    to remove the bottom section in order to get the top portion out?

    nothing to panic about. Go into tests, go to gumball test, play with the
    buttons until you get the empty gumball machine and empty it, see if it
    works. If not check for loose connector for the motor to the motor board
    below. If it seems stuck, take the top off, take the clear plastic divider
    out, remove the balls and see if you can un jam it. LTG :)

    <jjordan5@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Just finished cleaning my playfield with the Treasure-Cove kit, and put
    > a layer of wax on, then started to play.
    >
    > i loaded one ball in the gumball for a toal of 4, so one should pop
    > out, as it always has done. The knob tries to turn then stops.
    >
    > So, I forced the left/right ramp combo to try one more ball. same
    > thing.
    >
    > Now I have 4 balls in the gumball(3 of them are down in the "carousel"
    > holes that turn for them to drop out.....
    >
    > I went through all the test, but can't find one to exercise the
    > gumball to try to figure out what is going on.
    >
    > The gumball has worked absolutely perfectly since I got the TZ about a
    > month ago..
    >
    > Now, of course, since there are only 3 balls in the out hole area, it
    > will not advance a ball to the trough..
    >
    > help, please......

    You might have to dig deeper and see if anything is blocking the balls from
    feeding down and out. It's a pretty simple and basic mechanism in there.

    Did you take the top off, remove the clear plastic divider and remove the
    balls ? LTG :)

    > Hi Lloyd,
    >
    > I found test T17(gumball test). I am running 9.4h.
    >
    > I have four balls in the 4 carousel positions in the bottome of the
    > gumball. when the machine starts the test, the carousel rotates, but
    > no ball comes out the front. the autoshooter fires a ball in, the
    > carousel turns again inside the gumball, but the knob does not turn
    > and no ball comes out.....
    >
    > it seems like electrical is good, filling the machine is no problem,
    > turning the carousel works, it just won't pop out a ball.
    >
    > Incidentally, when the carousel turns each time, it seems stuck at
    > first, then turns abruptly......

    That is because the gumball machine isn't turning. Ignore that message for
    now, figure out first if the gumball machine is jammed with balls, or not
    getting power to the motor. LTG :)

    > I am now getting an error message, "gumball error check geneva
    > switch"......

    Anything is possible. If it's trying to turn and can't, it's jammed. LTG :)

    > sorry,
    >
    > actually, I have 3 balls in the carousel, the 4th ball position is
    > empty, and I have 2 balls in the trougth.......hum......sounds like a
    > ball somehow jammed in the bottom of the gumball when trying to
    > release, is that possible?

    You aren't a dope. You figured it out and posted to help others. Now is the
    gumball machine working, ? If so, the geneva switch error will go away soon.

    > ok, I'm a dope, I found the 6th ball, it's in the wire ramp above the
    > gumball maching since I had the pf turned upward.....do'h....

    First thing, from your other posts - forget the geneva error for now, that
    is the switch at the bottom of the gumball machine and will turn up in error
    if it isn't triggered by the moving mechanism, which isn't moving.

    You don't need to remove the backboard. Long nut driver or grabber helps
    here, remove the metal habitrail feeding into the rear of the gumball
    machine, remove the plastic with flashers near the rear left, then remove
    othe plastics around the gumball machine as needed. Then unplug the
    connectors for the gumball machine undernetah the playfield, set playfield
    back down, and remove the wood screws holding the gumball machine base to
    the top of the playfield. Remove the gumball machine. Good time to look it
    over and clean it inside and out. LTG :)

    > well,
    >
    > it is now stuck doing the left/right jig, and popping up with the
    > geneva message, so this thing is jammed.....
    >
    > OK, I have been around my machine quite a bit shopping it out,
    > replacing the main ramp, flipper assemblies, etc.....so can you just
    > give me a quick course in how much has to come off? I just want
    > to ensure I attack this thing properly.
    >
    > My guess:
    >
    > 1. remove back board
    > 2. remove triple tier of flasher lights in the back left corner of
    > pf
    > 3. remove the red "flooring" surrounding cane-shaped wire ramp into
    > the gumball
    > 4. remove the wire ramp into the gumball....
    >
    > Am I close?

    Glad you got through it, and thank you for following up with the fix. I
    helped you, and now you'll help others when they search for help. And that
    my friend helps everybody ! LTG :)

    > OK, it's good to go!
    >
    > Lloyd, I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help here. this NG
    > rocks!!
    >
    > If you are ever in Columbus, OH, I'm buying you dinner...
    >
    > thanks again.......

    The gumball machine won't pull straight up. The motor/gearbox sticks back a
    bit. Pull the gumball machine up slightly, tilt back, and wiggle forward.
    Should come out easily. LTG :)

    > OK,
    >
    > I have the entire back section removed. The four screws holding the
    > gumball to the top of the pf have been removed, All electrical
    > connectors under the bottom have been labled and pulled, so the
    > gumball is floating free, but won't pull through the top due to
    > hardware on the gumball under the pf that is wider than the opening.
    >
    > so, at this point, what do I do to get the gumball removed? do I have
    > to remove the bottom section in order to get the top portion out?

    Congratulations...

    A day I was wondering where a bulb finished. Where? Inside the GumBall!
    --
    The Alby87 Project

    http://digilander.libero.it/alby1987/

Games Video Games