Technical laser jet question

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i'm looking at this technical information and it says the secondary corona wire in a laser jet applies a positive charge to the paper as it passes through....i didn't think paper could carry a charge? wth?

Solution

its does, long enough to hold the toner on the paper till it gets to the fuser. but gives off a minute amount of ozone gas...thats why HP switched to PCR (a roller) in the paper path.
people got really uptight about ozone gas..

printerman

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

its does, long enough to hold the toner on the paper till it gets to the fuser. but gives off a minute amount of ozone gas...thats why HP switched to PCR (a roller) in the paper path.
people got really uptight about ozone gas..

Solution

printerman

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
static! but I am not a physicist. its a charge the toner has...it has minute amount of oxides in the toner which is lays/attracted to the paper, because the toner is laying there.
Remove the toner, BEFORE it gets to the heating assy, toner will come off.
its only a milly second from the charge to the fuser. then its baked

thats sir, Is the lesson for the day..time for a brew

a transfer roller/wire sits opposite to the drum/belt and as the paper passes over the transfer roller/wire the toner image from the drum/belt gets pulled onto the paper by the transfer roller. Then it goes through the fuser to be fused to the paper. If you google, "how a laser printer works" you should find some diagrams and things.