AMD Challenges Intel to a Dual-Core Duel

YES. I really like these types of contest.
Read the whole thing <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_13368_13369,00.html?redir=CPSW51" target="_new">here</A>

Let's see what Intel has to say about this. :D

Cheers.

My Beloved Rig:

ATHLON 64 FX 55
2X1024 CORSAIR XMX XPERT MODULES
MSI K8N DIAMOND (SLI)
2 MSI 6800 ULTRA (SLI MODE)
OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W PSU
31 answers Last reply
More about challenges intel dual core duel
  1. Lame.

Some people are like slinkies....
    Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  2. GoGo AMD
  3. Sort of like a teen gang beating up an old cripple.
    Sad.
  4. Let's make sure we all get on line and rave about the performance of Intel when they set up their petition. Super-Stupid!

9 out of 10 voices in my head said, "Don't shoot!"
  5. Not that I like AMD any more than I like Intel, but it is kind of funny. Of course, it'd be funnier (not because I like Intel, but simply because of the irony) if Intel drug up some super special engineering sample and whooped AMD's arse. (Not that I expect anything even remotely like this to happen.)

But maybe if AMD were to be giving us any hints about interesting plans for the future it would make their adamant concentration on the past and present a little less ... worrying. I like AMD's new spark, but if they're wasting all of this energy being quirky instead of preparing for the future then I'm going to be pretty disappointed when Intel finally does come back with something decent. It seems to me that this cycle last repeated itself around the race to 1GHz...

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
    <font color=red><i>The Devil made me do it, but I <b>liked</b> it.</i></font color=red>
    @ 196K of 200K!
  6. >Of course, it'd be funnier (not because I like Intel, but
    >simply because of the irony) if Intel drug up some super >special engineering sample and whooped AMD's arse.

You didnt read the challenge. Here is snippet:
    Quote:
    AMD’s proposed dual-core duel in 2005 would be a live, public performance evaluation between server platforms based on the highest-performing Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ 800 Series or 200 Series processors and the corresponding Intel x86 server processors that <b>are commercially available in volume</b>.

Of course the whole point of this "duel" is to put emphasis on the fact that AMD is delivering what Intel is only promising (dual core server cpus)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
  7. Quote:
    You didnt read the challenge.

Actually, I did read it. I just chose to be funny instead of anal-rententive. In much the same form as sarcasm, something was said which was so obviously factually incorrect that it didn't need to be stated that it was factually incorrect. It was funny <i>because</i> it was factually incorrect.

I think it'd have been fairly obvious to anyone who did read it that the only way that Intel could even remotely meet that challenge is by breaking the "commercially available in volume" part. That's part of the irony of the joke.

I'm sorry that you're so humorless as to not have gotten it and laughed along with everyone else; that you had to anal-retentively tear it apart piece by piece an a vain attempt to sound intelligent.

<font color=red><i>The Devil made me do it, but I <b>liked</b> it.</i></font color=red>
    @ 196K of 200K!
  8. OHHHHHH looks liek someone is in the mood for another P4Man vs slvr duel w00t!
    ***Pulls chair, pops beer, wait for someone to throw the popcorn***

You know THAT would actually be a good Idea! Both AMD and Intel agree on some programs they will benchmark, and on a OS / extra hardware they will use(Video card and such) and afer that no rule at all. Both compagny bring a box, they dont have to be specific at what hardware they run and they you have a duel! It would be intersting to see what their upcomming super specially engeneered chips coudl do :wink:

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
  9. If AMD is challenging Intel, it's because they know that they have the preformance lead no matter what Intel has under their sleeves. It would be stupid enough to challenge someone to fight if you really don't know what that person is cappable of. ;)

My Beloved Rig:

ATHLON 64 FX 55
    MSI K8N DIAMOND (SLI)
    OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W PSU<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bullshitter on 08/25/05 12:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  10. Take a few beer and you might jsut do it
    :wink:

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
  11. LOL :)

I'm not taking the chance...

My Beloved Rig:

ATHLON 64 FX 55
    MSI K8N DIAMOND (SLI)
    OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W PSU
  12. Things are heating up with <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050825_140226.html" target="_new">this</A> answer of an AMD rep about Intel's Conroe.

My Beloved Rig:

ATHLON 64 FX 55
    MSI K8N DIAMOND (SLI)
    OCZ POWERSTREAM 600W PSU
  13. It is true thought!
    The FSB is getting obsolete and its seams rather hard to push the FSB in synch at speeds of 266-300mhz and even then the bandwith doesnt go up that much!
    We didnt here much from intel's HT equivalent(whats the name again, thought it was CSA but thats whats use for the NIC...) at this IDF, wonder whats up with that.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labbbby on 08/25/05 03:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  14. Quote:
    Sort of like a teen gang beating up an old cripple.

I would like to see noko or porkster trying to explain that you're wrong.

:lol:

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein</font color=red>
  15. Rayston was so good at bullshitting.
    A troll of the first class, sleek and smooth.
    I kinda miss him.
  16. Well, you are right, Rayston was no bullshitter. I used the word wrongly, my bad.

But when Intel dumped RDRAM, Rayston disappeared. I wonder why?
  17. Are you being funny whit me? Rayston was a big promoter of Intel&RDRAM. And Netburst too, IIRC.
  18. >He doesn't bullshit, he tells facts

Facts ? Really ? Where are those P4 + yellowstone implementation that would offer 6.4 GB/s per channel.. they should have been here 4 years ago if he told facts..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
  19. Forgive me, I forgot.. ! If you incorrectly post something as fact, when challenged, its of course only your *opinion*. When your opinion doesnt make any sense at all, its based on some self written math papers eaten by your dog, and when you miss the point.. its an attempt to be funny ? Keep trying though, Im sure you have more talent as a stand up comedian than math or logic.

20. Standup comics is very demanding form of art, definitely not anything silver could
    do for a second.
    A comic must have a sense of humor, at least. And talent.
    silver lacks both.
  21. 1) P4man, if you even thought for a second that this post was anything other than humor, you're even more pathetic than I've accredited you yet. I mean give me a break. How do you even remotely interpret that as even remotely serious or a statement of fact? Maybe if you showed anything even remotely resembling a sense of humor we wouldn't all think that you were a human popsicle with a giant stick shoved up your arse. Do you even know how to laugh?

2) I can't help it if you're not educated enough to know the most fundamental precept of a forum.

3) First off, that paper was probably lost in a hard drive crash years ago. Goodness knows I've seen a fair share of hard drive corruptions on my old Celeron 500 box with its inadequate power supply. (That's what I get for buying a cheap PoS.) But to be honest I can't even be sure that's what happened to it. All that I know is that I can't find it on my current PC's hard drive. Gee, like <i>that</i> never happens. That's just <i>soooo</i> much akin to 'my dog ate it'. (Which is funnier yet since I'm highly allergic to dogs and thusly would have to be suicidal to own one.)

And second, the purpose of The Infinite Middle was <i>not</i> to prove that 0.9r != 1. It was simply a mechanism for performing calculations using infinity. And thusly one of the accomplishments of it is the ability to provide an exact expression for the difference between 0.9r and 1.

And god help me for even getting back into this stupid argument, but <i>if</i> we want to get to the simple crux of 0.9 != 1, anyone who's taken any serious mathematics should know that 0.9r is approximate (but not equal to) 1. I mean you'd have to be truly uneducated or obtuse to think otherwise. Saying that 0.9r == 1 is as wrong as saying that 1/3 == 0.3r or that 1/0 == infinity. We can use these <i>approximations</i> to simplify our lives, but the moment that we start thinking of them as the real values instead of approximations, that's when we get into trouble.

So in conclusion, I'd say that I can't believe you've got this big of a bug up your bum over something as stupid as saying something in humor, but then, it is <i>you</i>. Pull that crooked stick from out of your arse and get over yourself. Seriously. Stress leads to health problems and an early death. Learn to have some fun. Crack a smile. You'll be happier <i>and</i> healthier. Who could ask for more from something so simple as a smile?

@ 196K of 200K!

P.S. And where did you pick up such a faithful lapdog anyway? Do you pay him or something?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slvr_phoenix on 08/26/05 08:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  22. Quote:
    Standup comics is very demanding form of art, definitely not anything silver could
    do for a second.

Actually, that's one vocation that I never had any desire to even attempt. The pay is bad. There's way too much travel involved for my taste. And your one big hope is that if you're really good and really lucky, <i>maybe</i> you can break into a movie or TV deal and have a regular income for a short while.

Thanks, but no thanks. I big super big props to all those crazy guys and gals who live their dream of yukking it up on the stage, but f me running if that's my dream. :O I'll settle for the mere occasional part of the court jester, thank you very much.

Quote:
    A comic must have a sense of humor, at least. And talent.
    silver lacks both.

Humor is like wine. Everyone has a different opinion on what is good, but no one can say that any attempt to make it is effort wasted.

@ 196K of 200K!
  23. ***start throwing popcorn***

I think you're funny slvr, albeit in your own way :wink: ... if thats any consolation...I like the analogy with wine! My saying was more like:

Jokes are NOt like good wine, they dont get better as they age.

Usefull when someone keep making fun of something for too long

24. Quote:
    Jokes are NOt like good wine, they dont get better as they age.

Yeah, that's kind of true. But then I still love some of the old classics.

How many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb?<pre><font color=white>One, but the lightbulb has to <i>want</i> to change.</font color=white></pre><p>What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino?<pre><font color=white>Eleph-ino!</font color=white></pre><p>What's big, red, and eats rocks?<pre><font color=white>A big red rock eater, of course. :)</font color=white></pre><p> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
    @ 196K of 200K!
  25. Quote:
    And god help me for even getting back into this stupid argument, but if we want to get to the simple crux of 0.9 != 1, anyone who's taken any serious mathematics should know that 0.9r is approximate (but not equal to) 1. I mean you'd have to be truly uneducated or obtuse to think otherwise. Saying that 0.9r == 1 is as wrong as saying that 1/3 == 0.3r or that 1/0 == infinity. We can use these approximations to simplify our lives, but the moment that we start thinking of them as the real values instead of approximations, that's when we get into trouble.

Before I answer, I must ask.. is the above statement another ill attempt at humor, just your opinion, or should it be taken at face value ?

26. >Maybe if you showed anything even remotely resembling a sense
    >of humor we wouldn't all think that you were a human popsicle
    >with a giant stick shoved up your arse. Do you even know how
    >to laugh?

Yeah, and I think I know how to make ppl laugh too.
    <A HREF="http://home.scarlet.be/~bbaeyen2/thb/" target="_new">http://home.scarlet.be/~bbaeyen2/thb/</A>
    At least some ppl thought it was good enough for a handfull of awards. Surely it was funnier than "What's big, red, and eats rocks? A big red rock eater, of course." although my 6yr old godson might disagree.

>3) First off, that paper was probably lost in a hard drive
    >crash years ago

You dont get it do you ? I dont care *how* you lost it, I dont care if it even existed or not. The ONLY reference you have in this discussion is a non-available (most likely non existing) document you WROTE YOURSELF.

(BTW, if it did exist, and you got decent marks on it, the teacher that gave you sufficient marks for it should be fired, since the whole premises is as ridiculous as a paper that that gives you a methodology to estimate the difference between -1 and i^2)

>And thusly one of the accomplishments of it is the ability
    >to provide an exact expression for the difference between
    >0.9r and 1

Oh and what is this exact expression then ? All my math books say is zero, not almost, but *exactly*.

>anyone who's taken any serious mathematics should know that
    >0.9r is approximate (but not equal to) 1

Is that why you cant find a *single* half credible online refence by anyone that has taken "serious mathematics" ( other than yourself of course, as the inventor of the now lost "serious mathematics" ?)

>Saying that 0.9r == 1 is as wrong as saying that 1/3 ==
    >0.3r or that 1/0 == infinity.

First, no one ever claimed 1/0=infinity. I certainly did not as anything divided by zero is undefined. Secondly, if you still think 0.9r=!1, that only proves you cant grasp the concept of infinity and confuse it with a very very very very big number. And if you dont agree 1/3=0.3r, well.. what can I say ?

>Who could ask for more from something so simple as a smile?

Dont worry, you make me smile and laugh often enough. Your stupidity and the tenacity of it do that for me.

27. Quote:
    Before I answer, I must ask.. is the above statement another ill attempt at humor, just your opinion, or should it be taken at face value ?

I'm not sure what you must ask. First, there's no humor there. Second, this <i>is</i> a forum.

But no matter how you want to take it, I think I'm going to have to go with my earlier intuition that continuing this so called debate is completely fruitless as neither side can possibly have anything new to offer so at best we can only go in circles anyway. If you want to bother writing a counter post, that's only fair in the name of balance. But if you expect me to continue this 'debate' any, you'll have to come up with something new and/or interesting.

@ 196K of 200K!
  28. >I'm not sure what you must ask. First, there's no humor
    >there.

Just checking to be sure, since I couldnt find a trace of humor in your other posts either...

29. Quote:
    Just checking to be sure, since I couldnt find a trace of humor in your other posts either...

So even if we ignore the blatantly obvious play of irony there, the actually used words of 'funny', 'funnier', and 'irony' then no longer have any relation to humor whatsoever according to you? Yeah. I can really see where you're winning <i>this</i> debate...

@ 196K of 200K!
  30. Quote:
    At least some ppl thought it was good enough for a handfull of awards.

Are you kidding? Photochop a picture of Tom in a dress and you'll win a handful of awards and lauding. There are so many anti-THG people out there that <i>any</i> satire of THG, no matter bland and boring (such as that one is) will make <i>some</i> people ecstatic. Frankly, I seem to recall some satire of AMD's "AMD me" campaign from years back being a hell of a lot funnier, and wasting a lot less of the reader's time doing it. For that matter, your smoking P4 stress test spoof was a hell of a lot funnier. (And, again, wasted a lot less time in the process of being funnier.) So what happened that made you so drab as to use the example that you gave instead of one that is actually ... funny?

Quote:
    Surely it was funnier than "What's big, red, and eats rocks? A big red rock eater, of course."

In your opinion maybe. Besides, I never said that this was my best joke. In fact, I didn't even say that it was <i>my</i> joke. It's just one of my favorite old ones from childhood. I particularly like it because it reminds us that sometimes the answers are as simple as the questions, if only we can get past our preconceived notions. It's the sad fact that most people couldn't come up with such an honest and simple answer that makes it funny. But then why should I expect you to understand that?

Quote:
    You dont get it do you ? I dont care *how* you lost it, I dont care if it even existed or not.

If you don't care then why are you the <i>only</i> person in all of THGC to be bringing it up? (And not just once mind you, but time and time again.) P4man doth protest too much?

<i></i>

<i></i>

<i></i>

As for the 0.9r != 1 debate itself, what can I say? After all of this time you still bring nothing new to it. Is it any wonder why debating this with you holds no interest for me? What new is there to say?

@ 196K of 200K!
  31. >Are you kidding?

To each his opinion, Im not interested in a bragging contest in who is the funniest.

>If you don't care then why are you the only person in all
    >of THGC to be bringing it up? (And not just once mind you,
    >but time and time again.)

Simple, because its symptomic of you inability to admit being wrong. In the 0.9r discussion I have given a mathematical proof (several in fact), Ive linked to several websites as well as a post by an actual math professor all claiming the same (utterly obvious) fact that 0.9r==1. You otoh have first proven your own limited math skills ("unreal" numbers to give just one example), and your arguments where limited to some (most likely imagined) secondary school work you created yourself.

All you had to do was admit being wrong, just like a small majority of the posters that answered that poll, but instead you chose to dig a hole with no way out. So as long as you dont have the balls to face facts, I wont hesitate bringing this up time and time again as an example of your debating "tactics".

>As for the 0.9r != 1 debate itself, what can I say? After
    >all of this time you still bring nothing new to it.

And neither should I, as its a 1000+ year old known fact for which, unlike you, I have provided proof and credible references. You are the one continuing to insult our intelligence by making outrageous claims, claiming "you'd have to be truly uneducated or obtuse to think otherwise" while providing zero evidence, only evidence of your own obtuseness regarding the concept of infinity.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dual Core Intel SLI MSI-Microstar