939 vs. 939 90nm

elcameeeno

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
I am building a new system and am ready to order the processor. It will be either a XP 64 3000 or 3200. I am not sure yet. My question is what is the real difference between the standard 939 and 939 90nm. I read a little bit on what the 90 nm is about, but what is the real world opinion? I am using a EPOX EP-9NDA3J board. Which would be better for me and why?

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
smaller die sizes.

with the smaller die's the chip itself is more compact and thigns are more integrated and lcoser to gether.

it's supposed to cut back huge on power and heat loss as well as enable for faster clock cycles in the future

pat

Expert
Please, fix your post... your "quote" is broken. I shouldnt happen.. You've been here long enough to know how to "quote"!!! :smile:

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Wusy, I said "Supposed to"

never said it worked in practice. the prescott was a bit of a disaster wasnt it.

we'll see what the future brings, but the AMD chips seem to have improved a lot with the smaller Die size,

and ATI is even pushing a 90u chip (R520) for their next chip. if they ever [-peep-] finish it

Just a quick question, everyone states the memory controller is better in the venice core. Besides fixing the 4 dimm DDR333 issue and compatability issues. Has there been any other improvements to the memory controller?

endyen

Splendid
It means a lot more than that. It means the controller works better on DFI boards, because it solves some of the distance issues, and generally means tighter timings, more compatability, and probably an extra mhz or two on the mem bus.