Safe Mode thinks Windows is still installing, Normal mode is A-OK

flobaby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I reinstalled Win7 on my laptop yesterday (a recovery reinstall, not a clean one). The install worked fine, I'm able to boot up and use all my programs again no prob, but when I attempt to go into Safe Mode, it thinks Windows hasn't completed the install. While the message “Setup is starting services” is on the screen, a popup appears saying "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer".

I'm thinking there's got to be a simple registry key fix for this but am having a bear of a time finding anything applicable online. Hoping there is some wisdom to be found here. Thanks!

flobaby

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Yep, everything's updated. Here's one thing, when it was reinstalling, it got stuck on some bloatware at the end, so I finished it out early. I'm thinking maybe there's a key involved with ChildCompletion or something. But the headscratcher is that it loads normally in Normal mode with nary a hint of anything weird.

Hi :)

I would uninstall ALL the manufacturers Bloatware... see if that helps, if not live with it if normal mode is fine...

All the best Brett :)

Unfortunately a repair installation is just that....a repair.

In order to truly resolve the issue you are having, which may only be one right now, is to backup your info and perform a clean install. You've essentially done what's called a "dirty" reinstall in the tech industry and usually is only a band-aid for the initial problem to allow for someone to backup their information before doing a clean install.