1978 world cup soccer

hey
is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
pinball.
10 answers Last reply
More about 1978 world soccer

    hey josh
    please bare with me i am not so good at the computer. i pick up the
    pinball machine from a co-worker. the transformer is missing and i
    think there is more. do you have just a pic of were everything would go
    Pin Geek wrote:
    > I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
    > I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page. Anything
    > in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.
    >
    > --
    > Josh
    > http://www.pingeek.com
    > Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
    > http://www.theyorkshow.com
    >

    > <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > hey
    > > is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
    > > pinball.

    do you think it is worth fixing

    I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
    I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page. Anything
    in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.

    --
    Josh
    http://www.pingeek.com
    Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
    http://www.theyorkshow.com

    <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > hey
    > is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
    > pinball.

    Depends. Start looking for cut connectors, wires hanging with parts missing
    underneath the playfield, all that good stuff. I love this pin, but you may
    end up paying more in parts and repair, instead of just shelling out $400
    bucks or so for an average working one and being done with it. Are all
    boards present?

    Look over everything closely. Ask your co-worker why the transformer was
    removed? Did the game ever work. You want to know little stuff like that.
    If the project was a lost cause, that could be why parts were removed.

    I can supply pics. I just need an idea of exactly what. Again, if it's
    robbed of boards, think twice about this.

    --

    > hey josh
    > please bare with me i am not so good at the computer. i pick up the
    > pinball machine from a co-worker. the transformer is missing and i
    > think there is more. do you have just a pic of were everything would go
    > Pin Geek wrote:
    >> I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
    >> I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page.
    >> Anything
    >> in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Josh
    >> http://www.pingeek.com
    >> Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
    >> http://www.theyorkshow.com
    >>

    >> <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > hey
    >> > is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
    >> > pinball.

    You might want to check our website- we restored and sold 2 World Cup
    pinball games last year (or year before?) and still have pictures and info
    on at least one of them posted on our site- should at least show you where
    everything goes. Neat game, too.

    Go to: www.actionpinball.com Check in the Pinball Machines section- Pinball
    Machines for Sale, and on that page there's a link to "games we've sold"
    which should have the World Cup listed on it.

    Hope that helps!

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    "Pin Geek" wrote:
    > I might still have a Williams Space Shuttle transformer lying around.
    > Worked fine in a Firepower 2 pin.
    > I guess this isn't the same thing as World Cup though. Anybody? If not,
    > could it be modified?

    It will work the same- same voltages. Firepower 2 had 50v flippers, but
    used the separate 50v transformer to power those. The main transformer has
    all the same output voltages as earlier Williams solid-state games used.
    Should use the same wire colors, too, so he would just have verify all wires
    and their respective voltages (to know 100% sure what is what) then follow
    schematic diagrams to run the wires to the respective locations- power
    supply, rectifier/fuses, etc. and hook up appropriately.

    It may be easier or more worthwhile to find a transformer *with* complete
    harness still attached to it, from an earlier Williams solid-state game
    (something 1977-mid 1979) so that he has all the correct connectors on the
    ends of the wires, and so the wires/cables are the correct lenghts. The
    original transformer has 3 gray wires that run down to a connector in the
    main cabinet for the sound board, wires with lugs that go on the 2
    rectifiers in backbox, and 2 connectored harnesses that run to the power
    supply and plug on there. Also the 115vac input connector. If any of those
    are missing, or different (such as from a later game's transformer), then
    that can inject some confusion into the equation. If he hasn't done this
    kind of work before, it's best to have parts that are as close to original
    as possible to avoid any potentially catastrophic problems.

    Ray J.
    --

    <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote:
    > do you think it is worth fixing

    The 2 World Cup games we restored and sold were bought as "parts machines"-
    missing a lot of stuff, including all boards, displays, transformers, and
    one had lost it's coin door, backglass, and lockdown bar, too. But we're
    "softies" for old Williams solid-state pins anyway, so it didn't take much
    convincing to get us to commit to restoring them. It was actually a lot of
    fun and the games turned out great, sold quickly to loving new owners, and
    looking back, I'm glad we could step in and "save" two pins from an
    otherwise inevitable demise at the local landfill.

    From what you've described about your game (just missing transformer, nice
    glass, nice playfield, otherwise complete)- then I'd say yes- definitely fix
    it, save it, or if you aren't up to the task, pass it on to someone who can
    do the work. Every year there are fewer and fewer of these classic era
    games surviving, and it's a shame to see one go- especially for something as
    simple as just a transformer. Definitely find some way to save it- either
    fixing it on your own, or passing it on to someone who can.

    We sort of had an "advantage" with the 2 that we restored a year or so ago-
    as we're more or less "experts" with the old Williams, Bally, and Stern
    solid-state pins (so they were right up our alley), and we've got a pretty
    good supply of used parts, boards, displays, etc. in our inventory to draw
    from in our warehouse, so it's a bit easier for us to save an otherwise
    "basket case" game.

    And it's a really fun game, too, when all fixed up and working right- sort
    of hated to see our last one go when it sold- was a lot of fun.

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

    Ray is right. It was his site that explained the fuse modification. My
    game had this when I got it, and without his site, I would have no idea what
    was going on. Good info.

    --

    "Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message
    > You might want to check our website- we restored and sold 2 World Cup
    > pinball games last year (or year before?) and still have pictures and info
    > on at least one of them posted on our site- should at least show you where
    > everything goes. Neat game, too.
    >
    > Go to: www.actionpinball.com Check in the Pinball Machines section-
    > Pinball
    > Machines for Sale, and on that page there's a link to "games we've sold"
    > which should have the World Cup listed on it.
    >
    > Hope that helps!
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    >

    > <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> hey josh
    >> please bare with me i am not so good at the computer. i pick up the
    >> pinball machine from a co-worker. the transformer is missing and i
    >> think there is more. do you have just a pic of were everything would go
    >> Pin Geek wrote:
    >> > I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
    >> > I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page.
    > Anything
    >> > in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Josh
    >> > http://www.pingeek.com
    >> > Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
    >> > http://www.theyorkshow.com
    >> >

    >> > <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message

    Thanks Ray. Right again:)

    --
    > "Pin Geek" wrote:
    >> I might still have a Williams Space Shuttle transformer lying around.
    >> Worked fine in a Firepower 2 pin.
    >> I guess this isn't the same thing as World Cup though. Anybody? If not,
    >> could it be modified?
    >
    > It will work the same- same voltages. Firepower 2 had 50v flippers, but
    > used the separate 50v transformer to power those. The main transformer
    > has
    > all the same output voltages as earlier Williams solid-state games used.
    > Should use the same wire colors, too, so he would just have verify all
    > wires
    > and their respective voltages (to know 100% sure what is what) then follow
    > schematic diagrams to run the wires to the respective locations- power
    > supply, rectifier/fuses, etc. and hook up appropriately.
    >
    > It may be easier or more worthwhile to find a transformer *with* complete
    > harness still attached to it, from an earlier Williams solid-state game
    > (something 1977-mid 1979) so that he has all the correct connectors on the
    > ends of the wires, and so the wires/cables are the correct lenghts. The
    > original transformer has 3 gray wires that run down to a connector in the
    > main cabinet for the sound board, wires with lugs that go on the 2
    > rectifiers in backbox, and 2 connectored harnesses that run to the power
    > supply and plug on there. Also the 115vac input connector. If any of
    > those
    > are missing, or different (such as from a later game's transformer), then
    > that can inject some confusion into the equation. If he hasn't done this
    > kind of work before, it's best to have parts that are as close to original
    > as possible to avoid any potentially catastrophic problems.
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!

    My two were parts games, one wasted backglass, one good backglass, one board
    totally corrosion green in one pin. I combined the two and the other was
    sold as parts, unfortunately. I played this pin all the time at 7-11. One
    of my favorite solid state pins, next to Gorgar. Cool early vid sounds.
    Lotta fun. I merely thought it could be considered parts if it was missing
    the boards and hacked really bad. I got lucky with mine though.

    Thanks for posting you have the parts Ray. Maybe you can help this guy out.

    --

    > <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote:
    >> do you think it is worth fixing
    >
    > The 2 World Cup games we restored and sold were bought as "parts
    > machines"-
    > missing a lot of stuff, including all boards, displays, transformers, and
    > one had lost it's coin door, backglass, and lockdown bar, too. But we're
    > "softies" for old Williams solid-state pins anyway, so it didn't take much
    > convincing to get us to commit to restoring them. It was actually a lot
    > of
    > fun and the games turned out great, sold quickly to loving new owners, and
    > looking back, I'm glad we could step in and "save" two pins from an
    > otherwise inevitable demise at the local landfill.
    >
    > From what you've described about your game (just missing transformer, nice
    > glass, nice playfield, otherwise complete)- then I'd say yes- definitely
    > fix
    > it, save it, or if you aren't up to the task, pass it on to someone who
    > can
    > do the work. Every year there are fewer and fewer of these classic era
    > games surviving, and it's a shame to see one go- especially for something
    > as
    > simple as just a transformer. Definitely find some way to save it- either
    > fixing it on your own, or passing it on to someone who can.
    >
    > We sort of had an "advantage" with the 2 that we restored a year or so
    > ago-
    > as we're more or less "experts" with the old Williams, Bally, and Stern
    > solid-state pins (so they were right up our alley), and we've got a pretty
    > good supply of used parts, boards, displays, etc. in our inventory to draw
    > from in our warehouse, so it's a bit easier for us to save an otherwise
    > "basket case" game.
    >
    > And it's a really fun game, too, when all fixed up and working right- sort
    > of hated to see our last one go when it sold- was a lot of fun.
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!

Games Video Games