1978 world cup soccer

Last response: in Video Games
September 24, 2005 12:06:29 AM

hey
is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
pinball.

More about : 1978 world cup soccer

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:43:17 AM

hey josh
please bare with me i am not so good at the computer. i pick up the
pinball machine from a co-worker. the transformer is missing and i
think there is more. do you have just a pic of were everything would go
Pin Geek wrote:
> I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
> I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page. Anything
> in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.
>
> --
> Josh
> http://www.pingeek.com
> Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
> http://www.theyorkshow.com
>

> <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > hey
> > is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
> > pinball.

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:44:39 AM

do you think it is worth fixing
September 24, 2005 3:32:37 AM

I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page. Anything
in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
http://www.theyorkshow.com

<mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
> hey
> is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
> pinball.

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 4:32:33 AM

Depends. Start looking for cut connectors, wires hanging with parts missing
underneath the playfield, all that good stuff. I love this pin, but you may
end up paying more in parts and repair, instead of just shelling out $400
bucks or so for an average working one and being done with it. Are all
boards present?

Look over everything closely. Ask your co-worker why the transformer was
removed? Did the game ever work. You want to know little stuff like that.
If the project was a lost cause, that could be why parts were removed.

I can supply pics. I just need an idea of exactly what. Again, if it's
robbed of boards, think twice about this.

--

> hey josh
> please bare with me i am not so good at the computer. i pick up the
> pinball machine from a co-worker. the transformer is missing and i
> think there is more. do you have just a pic of were everything would go
> Pin Geek wrote:
>> I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
>> I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page.
>> Anything
>> in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.
>>
>> --
>> Josh
>> http://www.pingeek.com
>> Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
>> http://www.theyorkshow.com
>>

>> <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > hey
>> > is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
>> > pinball.

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 2:46:38 PM

You might want to check our website- we restored and sold 2 World Cup
pinball games last year (or year before?) and still have pictures and info
on at least one of them posted on our site- should at least show you where
everything goes. Neat game, too.

Go to: www.actionpinball.com Check in the Pinball Machines section- Pinball
Machines for Sale, and on that page there's a link to "games we've sold"
which should have the World Cup listed on it.

Hope that helps!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

<mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
> hey josh
> please bare with me i am not so good at the computer. i pick up the
> pinball machine from a co-worker. the transformer is missing and i
> think there is more. do you have just a pic of were everything would go
> Pin Geek wrote:
> > I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
> > I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page.
Anything
> > in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.
> >
> > --
> > Josh
> > http://www.pingeek.com
> > Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
> > http://www.theyorkshow.com
> >

> > <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > hey
> > > is there anybody out there with a manual for a 1978 world cup soccer
> > > pinball.

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 2:52:03 PM

"Pin Geek" wrote:
> I might still have a Williams Space Shuttle transformer lying around.
> Worked fine in a Firepower 2 pin.
> I guess this isn't the same thing as World Cup though. Anybody? If not,
> could it be modified?

It will work the same- same voltages. Firepower 2 had 50v flippers, but
used the separate 50v transformer to power those. The main transformer has
all the same output voltages as earlier Williams solid-state games used.
Should use the same wire colors, too, so he would just have verify all wires
and their respective voltages (to know 100% sure what is what) then follow
schematic diagrams to run the wires to the respective locations- power
supply, rectifier/fuses, etc. and hook up appropriately.

It may be easier or more worthwhile to find a transformer *with* complete
harness still attached to it, from an earlier Williams solid-state game
(something 1977-mid 1979) so that he has all the correct connectors on the
ends of the wires, and so the wires/cables are the correct lenghts. The
original transformer has 3 gray wires that run down to a connector in the
main cabinet for the sound board, wires with lugs that go on the 2
rectifiers in backbox, and 2 connectored harnesses that run to the power
supply and plug on there. Also the 115vac input connector. If any of those
are missing, or different (such as from a later game's transformer), then
that can inject some confusion into the equation. If he hasn't done this
kind of work before, it's best to have parts that are as close to original
as possible to avoid any potentially catastrophic problems.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

September 24, 2005 2:59:09 PM

<mcburton@comcast.net> wrote:
> do you think it is worth fixing

The 2 World Cup games we restored and sold were bought as "parts machines"-
missing a lot of stuff, including all boards, displays, transformers, and
one had lost it's coin door, backglass, and lockdown bar, too. But we're
"softies" for old Williams solid-state pins anyway, so it didn't take much
convincing to get us to commit to restoring them. It was actually a lot of
fun and the games turned out great, sold quickly to loving new owners, and
looking back, I'm glad we could step in and "save" two pins from an
otherwise inevitable demise at the local landfill.

From what you've described about your game (just missing transformer, nice
glass, nice playfield, otherwise complete)- then I'd say yes- definitely fix
it, save it, or if you aren't up to the task, pass it on to someone who can
do the work. Every year there are fewer and fewer of these classic era
games surviving, and it's a shame to see one go- especially for something as
simple as just a transformer. Definitely find some way to save it- either
fixing it on your own, or passing it on to someone who can.

We sort of had an "advantage" with the 2 that we restored a year or so ago-
as we're more or less "experts" with the old Williams, Bally, and Stern
solid-state pins (so they were right up our alley), and we've got a pretty
good supply of used parts, boards, displays, etc. in our inventory to draw
from in our warehouse, so it's a bit easier for us to save an otherwise
"basket case" game.

And it's a really fun game, too, when all fixed up and working right- sort
of hated to see our last one go when it sold- was a lot of fun.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

September 24, 2005 5:26:57 PM

Ray is right. It was his site that explained the fuse modification. My
game had this when I got it, and without his site, I would have no idea what
was going on. Good info.

--

"Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message
> You might want to check our website- we restored and sold 2 World Cup
> pinball games last year (or year before?) and still have pictures and info
> on at least one of them posted on our site- should at least show you where
> everything goes. Neat game, too.
>
> Go to: www.actionpinball.com Check in the Pinball Machines section-
> Pinball
> Machines for Sale, and on that page there's a link to "games we've sold"
> which should have the World Cup listed on it.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Ray J.
> --
> Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> Web: www.actionpinball.com
>
> We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
>

> <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> hey josh
>> please bare with me i am not so good at the computer. i pick up the
>> pinball machine from a co-worker. the transformer is missing and i
>> think there is more. do you have just a pic of were everything would go
>> Pin Geek wrote:
>> > I think Pinball Resource sells these. http://www.pbresource.com
>> > I might have the manual. I can't photocopy each and every page.
> Anything
>> > in particular you need to know? These system 3's can be tricky.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Josh
>> > http://www.pingeek.com
>> > Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
>> > http://www.theyorkshow.com
>> >

>> > <mcburton@comcast.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 5:27:37 PM

Thanks Ray. Right again:)

--
> "Pin Geek" wrote:
>> I might still have a Williams Space Shuttle transformer lying around.
>> Worked fine in a Firepower 2 pin.
>> I guess this isn't the same thing as World Cup though. Anybody? If not,
>> could it be modified?
>
> It will work the same- same voltages. Firepower 2 had 50v flippers, but
> used the separate 50v transformer to power those. The main transformer
> has
> all the same output voltages as earlier Williams solid-state games used.
> Should use the same wire colors, too, so he would just have verify all
> wires
> and their respective voltages (to know 100% sure what is what) then follow
> schematic diagrams to run the wires to the respective locations- power
> supply, rectifier/fuses, etc. and hook up appropriately.
>
> It may be easier or more worthwhile to find a transformer *with* complete
> harness still attached to it, from an earlier Williams solid-state game
> (something 1977-mid 1979) so that he has all the correct connectors on the
> ends of the wires, and so the wires/cables are the correct lenghts. The
> original transformer has 3 gray wires that run down to a connector in the
> main cabinet for the sound board, wires with lugs that go on the 2
> rectifiers in backbox, and 2 connectored harnesses that run to the power
> supply and plug on there. Also the 115vac input connector. If any of
> those
> are missing, or different (such as from a later game's transformer), then
> that can inject some confusion into the equation. If he hasn't done this
> kind of work before, it's best to have parts that are as close to original
> as possible to avoid any potentially catastrophic problems.
>
> Ray J.
> --
> Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> Web: www.actionpinball.com
>
> We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 5:30:52 PM

My two were parts games, one wasted backglass, one good backglass, one board
totally corrosion green in one pin. I combined the two and the other was
sold as parts, unfortunately. I played this pin all the time at 7-11. One
of my favorite solid state pins, next to Gorgar. Cool early vid sounds.
Lotta fun. I merely thought it could be considered parts if it was missing
the boards and hacked really bad. I got lucky with mine though.

Thanks for posting you have the parts Ray. Maybe you can help this guy out.

--

!