Sign in with
Your question

Replace hard drive and install windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2012 12:52:12 AM

Hello,
I want to upgrade to a bigger hard drive on my laptop but also want to upgrade to Windows 7 (from XP). How do I install the new hard drive, install the new OS, but sill get all my data and software fdrom my old hard drive onto the new one with the new OS?
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 1:05:14 AM

replace the hard drive and install Windows 7.

Get a USB enclosure for the old drive, and make it an external drive. You can plug it into a usb port and copy any data off it you need.
m
l
December 27, 2012 1:06:15 AM

It can't be done that way.

Window XP can't just upgrade to Win 7 while retaining all the programs and datas intact. You have to do clean installation of win 7 and re-installation of other programs. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Another important thing is to check with ur laptop manufacturer site whether they have win 7 drivers for ur model. If they don't, it is not advisable to upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 1:14:31 AM

It's even easier than installing with only one hard drive.

1) Buy a new hard drive, Windows 7, and an external enclosure that goes to USB. (Should only be about $20 at most.)

2) Pop in your new hard drive, and install windows 7 per normal.

3) Put the old drive in the external enclosure and copy over any files you want to keep. Format the drive and pat yourself on the back - you now have your files, more storage space, windows 7, and an external hard drive for backups.

EDIT: ttcboy has a good point - you should check to make sure you'll have all the drivers you'll need.

Also? Spammer reported.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 2:03:40 AM

ttcboy said:
It can't be done that way.

Window XP can't just upgrade to Win 7 while retaining all the programs and datas intact. You have to do clean installation of win 7 and re-installation of other programs. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Another important thing is to check with ur laptop manufacturer site whether they have win 7 drivers for ur model. If they don't, it is not advisable to upgrade.

Actually there is a way to do it, as long as one stays 32-bit. Upgrade first to a compatible version of Vista, then to Win 7. Not truly recommended, but if it's absolutely essential to keep all installed software (keep in mind that some may not be Win 7 compatible) then it is doable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 3:05:45 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
Actually there is a way to do it, as long as one stays 32-bit. Upgrade first to a compatible version of Vista, then to Win 7. Not truly recommended, but if it's absolutely essential to keep all installed software (keep in mind that some may not be Win 7 compatible) then it is doable.

You are indeed correct in regards to the upgrade path that you recommended but they would also have to make sure that their computer can even run Windows Vista or even Windows 7. As for a straight upgrade from XP to 7, no it cannot be done.

@Dojumari: I would advise you to go to the Microsoft website and run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor first before trying to install Windows 7. This will save you loads of time and headaches.
m
l
!