Closed Solved

A question about OEM copies of windows 7

I just found out that ssd's usually die after 2-3 years. Im building a computer with a ssd boot drive. When that fails, can i reinstall my oem copy of windows 7 onto the new ssd? (provided I keep the same mobo)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question copies windows
  1. Yes. The license is tied to the motherboard, not the drive.
  2. ibshortkid94 said:
    I just found out that ssd's usually die after 2-3 years. Im building a computer with a ssd boot drive. When that fails, can i reinstall my oem copy of windows 7 onto the new ssd? (provided I keep the same mobo)

Usually Microsoft will allow the license to be changed to a different motherboard once. I've had personal experience with this and they seem to be pretty understanding on this note.
  3. Best answer
    ibshortkid94 said:

A SSD is likely to last longer than a hard drive. You should expect 10 years before the nand updates are used up under normal desktop usage.
    If you are experiencing 2-3 years, find a different brand.
    Intel has 3 and 5 year warranties depending on the model, as does Samsung

You will have no problem with repetitive installs on the same motherboard witha OEM license.
  4. Best answer selected by ibshortkid94.
  5. OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
  6. This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD OEM Windows 7