Sign in with
Your question
Closed

A question about OEM copies of windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2012 1:30:37 AM

I just found out that ssd's usually die after 2-3 years. Im building a computer with a ssd boot drive. When that fails, can i reinstall my oem copy of windows 7 onto the new ssd? (provided I keep the same mobo)
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 1:59:53 AM

Yes. The license is tied to the motherboard, not the drive.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 3:19:26 AM

ibshortkid94 said:
I just found out that ssd's usually die after 2-3 years. Im building a computer with a ssd boot drive. When that fails, can i reinstall my oem copy of windows 7 onto the new ssd? (provided I keep the same mobo)

Usually Microsoft will allow the license to be changed to a different motherboard once. I've had personal experience with this and they seem to be pretty understanding on this note.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 3:43:18 AM

ibshortkid94 said:

A SSD is likely to last longer than a hard drive. You should expect 10 years before the nand updates are used up under normal desktop usage.
If you are experiencing 2-3 years, find a different brand.
Intel has 3 and 5 year warranties depending on the model, as does Samsung

You will have no problem with repetitive installs on the same motherboard witha OEM license.
January 3, 2013 2:54:39 AM

Best answer selected by ibshortkid94.
Score
a c 418 $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 2:59:28 AM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
Score
a c 418 $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 2:59:38 AM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
!