What's the relation between channels and speakers?

mmost

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Soon,i will be getting my Asus p8z68 v le mobo.
It has "8 channel audio" , what does that mean?
Can I connect any 5.1 speaker Config with full surround support to it?
And for what the optical/spdif Ports are?

Solution
it looks like a home theater in a box type setup. what you really have to watch out for is that the dvd/br player which also functions as a speaker control unit on some models i believe often do NOT have very many input ports if any. i'm also unsure about the model as some images (granted of different but similar sony products) had many ports on the back of the subwoofer instead of a standard sub plug only.

the BEST solution is to use an a/v receiver. you can get an onkyo brand for cheap. all speakers typically have their own speaker wire (two wires but connected together) which you connect to the two posts/clips on the speaker and then on the receiver. the subwoofer normally connects with a single cable. you then connect any...
sounds like it will take up to an 8.1 sound system so you should be fine with a 5.1 system.

you can connect any pc speakers to it, yes. home theater speakers require a different approach.

optical spdif is for outputting sound to a receiver (home theater) or some high end pc sound systems (logitech makes some).

mmost

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Thanks for that! Can you please tell me what that different approach is? because,I am planning to buy " Sony sa-id7000" for it..
Will it be compatible?

it looks like a home theater in a box type setup. what you really have to watch out for is that the dvd/br player which also functions as a speaker control unit on some models i believe often do NOT have very many input ports if any. i'm also unsure about the model as some images (granted of different but similar sony products) had many ports on the back of the subwoofer instead of a standard sub plug only.

the BEST solution is to use an a/v receiver. you can get an onkyo brand for cheap. all speakers typically have their own speaker wire (two wires but connected together) which you connect to the two posts/clips on the speaker and then on the receiver. the subwoofer normally connects with a single cable. you then connect any dvd/blueray drives to this as one of your inputs.

make sure your video card supports sound out via dvi if you have dvi. modern cards should. you can then use a dvi to hdmi cable directly to the receiver. if you already have hdmi out on your video card it should still work but i have never done it myself.

i believe that the receiver does all of your sound processing. i have integrated sound on my mainboard but i dont think it is used. i would NOT buy a seperate audio card in this case.

---

the only way i would buy an audio card is if you buy a htib set and it features spdif input and not hdmi input with the ability to swap the source (like a receiver does)

i think some htib sets DO come with real receivers. this will be a seperate box with tons of connections on the back and the dvd/br player will be a seperate component. if you DO buy a htib set then this is what you would want if you intend to use the speakers with more than just the player.

--

granted there are most likely ways to "work around" the problem if you do get a crap system but for ease of use and peace of mind... go the extra mile and get something practical.

Solution

mmost

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

thanks a lot..
Though, out of my curiosity, can you tell me, What you would have done? If you were in place of me?