TECH: TAF thing flips

Hi:

I have a problem with the automatic thing flips on TAF. Sometimes thing
flips fine and sometimes it doesn't. The opto above the mini flipper
tests OK. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Make sure the game is level side to side and then just train it. It
takes up to 6 trys for it to get it right and stay there. If it just
won't do it reliable then it's probably time for a flipper rebuild. The
mechanics of the flipp could be sloppy or binding and not letting it
flip the same every time.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Thanks, guys. I'm not sure my original post was too clear. Here's
what's happening with my Thing Flips:

The feature usually functions extremely well and Thing shoots the ball
very accurately. It's quite amazing actually.

But sometimes the mini-flipper does not move at all. In other words: I
light the thing flips feature when ball rolls through left inlane, I
shoot the ramp, Gomez says "Come on Thing" and DMD shows Thing Flips.
Everything normal. Then the ball just rolls by the mini flipper, which
does not move at all.

It's weird. This might happen 2, 3 or 4 times in a row. And then the
function will start working properly again and will reel off perfect
perfect shot after perfect shot. Then it might not work a couple of
times. Cycle seems to repeat.

Opto switch tests OK, but perhaps I should clean with Q-tip and Windex?

Very annoying because this is the only glitch on my machine! Time to
call my tech?
Thanks for all replies.

Besides Cliffy's advice, power off, reseat the ribbon cable - both ends - to
the fliptronics board. LTG :)

In article <1127579571.933141.26600@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, lock_is_lit@yahoo.ca wrote:

>Thanks, guys. I'm not sure my original post was too clear. Here's
>what's happening with my Thing Flips:
>
>The feature usually functions extremely well and Thing shoots the ball
>very accurately. It's quite amazing actually.
>
>But sometimes the mini-flipper does not move at all. In other words: I
>light the thing flips feature when ball rolls through left inlane, I
>shoot the ramp, Gomez says "Come on Thing" and DMD shows Thing Flips.
>Everything normal. Then the ball just rolls by the mini flipper, which
>does not move at all.
>
>It's weird. This might happen 2, 3 or 4 times in a row. And then the
>function will start working properly again and will reel off perfect
>perfect shot after perfect shot. Then it might not work a couple of
>times. Cycle seems to repeat.
>
>Opto switch tests OK, but perhaps I should clean with Q-tip and Windex?
>
>Very annoying because this is the only glitch on my machine! Time to
>call my tech?
>Thanks for all replies.

Hello!

I had the same problem with my TAFG a while back. On my game, it turned out
to be a flaky wire/connector issue. Basically, the wire coming from the opto
switch and into the connector had come loose over time, and if jiggled the
wire just right, I'd get the Thing Flips to work just fine. The long-term fix
would be to recrimp the wire and get a new connector, but I've not done that
yet. Actually, I just tinkered with the wire so that it was making good
connections within the connector, and it's been working fine for over a year
now...

Give that wire/connector a look-see...
Jeff Giesting

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.