Dont buy Dell!

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 23, 2004 3:29:06 PM

I have an Inspiron
I took a four year warranty.
In four years, Dell replaced the display, the hardrive, the keyboard and
eventually the entire laptop.
Now I am in 5th year- they wont extend the warranty. Every few times- the
Laptop does not boot up, putting out an error message that 'no bootable
services found'. When it boots up it does work fine. But there is no
guarantee that it will boot up. Iwas told by Dell that its either the hard
disk (once replaced) or the motherboard. I am not certain yet what I should
do. Those were my problems with DELL.
Delllaptops are heavy and crude.
The only good thing is that Dell has a half-decent customer support.
Since you are a student and you need something that works all the time and
for several years- DELL is a bad choice.
I suggest that you look into HP or SONY.
"Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've got an Inspiron 9100, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a college
> student. Not if you're going to cart it around to classes, anyway. Too
> heavy (close to 10 pounds just for the laptop), and battery life is too
> short. As a desktop replacement, it's not too bad. And for games, it
> supposed to be pretty good, with an ATI Mobile 9700Pro card in it.
>
> Clint
>
> "Bobby G" <bobby8@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
> > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
> > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
> > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
> > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
> > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
> >
> > What I must have in the laptop:
> > -A fast processor
> > -128 MB video
> > -512 ram at least
> > -40 gig HD is sufficient
> > -3 Year Warranty
> > -XP Professional
> > -DVD/CDRW drive
> > -Wireless LAN
> > -Extra Battery
> > -Carrying Case
> >
> > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
> > appreciated.

More about : dont buy dell

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:33:01 PM

Sachin wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Delllaptops are heavy and crude.

If that's the case, how do you explain my 2.8 pound x200?

Notan
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:33:02 PM

> Sachin wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Delllaptops are heavy and crude.
>
> If that's the case, how do you explain my 2.8 pound x200?

Or the hundreds of thousands that have never had problems.

Point is any mass produced item is bound to get a lemon here and there. The
fact that MOST do not have problems and that when you do Dell stands behind
the warranty is a plus in my book.
July 23, 2004 7:33:03 PM

Oh my god! You will be stoned to death talking negative about Dell on this
group. Look out for the following DellBots: Hank A. , Tom Scales, Squirrel,
et al.
"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Sachin wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Delllaptops are heavy and crude.
> >
> > If that's the case, how do you explain my 2.8 pound x200?
> >

> Or the hundreds of thousands that have never had problems.
>
> Point is any mass produced item is bound to get a lemon here and there.
The
> fact that MOST do not have problems and that when you do Dell stands
behind
> the warranty is a plus in my book.

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:25:35 PM

MedicMan wrote:

> Oh my god! You will be stoned to death talking negative about Dell on this
> group. Look out for the following DellBots: Hank A. , Tom Scales, Squirrel,
> et al.

Nobody's saying that there aren't owners with faulty systems, or those who
have had *really* bad experiences with Tech Support.

But, out of the tens of thousands of systems sold, we really hear very
little (at least in this group) in the way of complaints.

On the other hand, if someone's going to say something as moronic as,
"Delllaptops are heavy and crude," expect them to get slammed.

Notan
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:39:12 PM

"Sachin" <sachten@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> Since you are a student and you need something that works all the time and
> for several years- DELL is a bad choice.
> I suggest that you look into HP or SONY.

Oh my God! That's soooo funny! Have you ever actually owned a Sony Vaio? I
have, and the things they don't tell you are a) the cost of their
accessories. An AC adaptor for my C1XD cost $180 (a Dell one is < $50), and
when I needed to replace the proprietry video connector they charged me $160
for a part that looks like it was made in a Taiwanese sweat hsop for < $5!
and b) even after it's out of warranty they will not sell you any spare
parts. You have to send it to a "Sony authorised service centre", where
they'll rip you off, because they your only other option is to toss the
laptop and buy a new one. Most companies that operate Sony laptop networks
toss them the moment the warranty is up.

Gary

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
http://www.garypigott.net
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:17:17 AM

"Gary Pigott" <usenet@garypigott.net> wrote in message

> "Sachin" <sachten@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
>> Since you are a student and you need something that works all the time
>> and
>> for several years- DELL is a bad choice.
>> I suggest that you look into HP or SONY.
>

> Oh my God! That's soooo funny! Have you ever actually owned a Sony Vaio? I
> have, and the things they don't tell you are a) the cost of their
> accessories. An AC adaptor for my C1XD cost $180 (a Dell one is < $50),
> and when I needed to replace the proprietry video connector they charged
> me $160 for a part that looks like it was made in a Taiwanese sweat hsop
> for < $5! and b) even after it's out of warranty they will not sell you
> any spare parts. You have to send it to a "Sony authorised service
> centre", where they'll rip you off, because they your only other option is
> to toss the laptop and buy a new one. Most companies that operate Sony
> laptop networks toss them the moment the warranty is up.
>
> Gary
>
> Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
> http://www.garypigott.net

Ran into the same problem with an HP (desktop) mainboard that needed
replaced. HP wouldn't sell me the board, but gladly offered a phone number
to coordinate shipping the system to HP techs to repair.....

"I don't think so........."

Stew
!