• Partition
  • X64
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 27, 2010 1:00:24 AM

Hi all

First time caller, long time reader! LOL

I am trying to install Win XP Pro 32bit onto a partition that I created on my Win7 Home Premium X64 hard drive. When I get to the part of the XP install where it lists the available partitions, the newly created one isn't listed.

I have also tried installing XP on a seperate hard drive, but when I boot from the XP disk, XP states that the Drive C: either is formatted incorrectly, corrupted or has an OS that XP doesn't recognize. Drive D: is listed, but XP keeps preventing me from installing onto it.

I am not sure why this is happening. I can kind of understand why XP would not install into a X64 created partition, but not sure why it is not installing on the second hard drive, which is a PATA drive.

Thanks for any help
Don

More about : install winxp pro win7 x64 partition

April 27, 2010 1:52:01 AM

You must install the oldest Operating System first, then the newer one, else it will not add to the bootmgr properly.
m
l
April 27, 2010 1:59:51 AM

Is this true even if I am installing XP to a seperate hard drive? Does XP have to be installed first, on one drive, then Win7 on the second drive?

m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2010 2:02:09 AM

Yes, even on separate hard drives, XP must be the one to write the boot code, and Windows 7 modify it instead of the other way around.

it can either be on separate hard drives or just separate partitions.
m
l
April 27, 2010 2:05:57 AM

okay, thanks for the info.

what if I disconnected my drive with Win7, then installed XP on the second drive and reconnected the Win7 drive. Would that work?
m
l
April 27, 2010 2:07:15 AM

No, because there would be two conflicting boot codes.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 27, 2010 2:24:22 AM

Yes you can disconnect the win7 drive and install xp on a diferent drive then reattach the win 7 drive and use your bios to select what os to load.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 27, 2010 2:51:05 AM

Ben, yes you can do it like that. I dont know if the Capt minds using bios to pick his OS but it should be a simpler way to go now that he is happy with his win7 install. are you happy Capt?
m
l