Sign in with
Your question

Sound isn't working properly

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2012 5:21:14 AM

Hey everyone, Ive got a really weird problem with my sound on my HP laptop. I'm a noob when it comes to computers, so bear with me. Whenever i try to listen to anything on my computer using headphones, i can hear the music/background noise perfectly clear, but i cant hear the words being spoken, or if i can hear them, they are really faded. Not all the songs on my computer behave this way, however all videos i watch do behave this way.

Here is where it gets weird. Some times, for no apparent reason, some random songs just wont work. When ever i try to play Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles, for instance, i can't hear any vocals. However when i play Revolver by the Beatles, it sounds normal. It seems to be pretty hit or miss as to what songs will actually play and what won't. I have tried switching out the headphones i was using, but they all behave in the same way.

I don't have this problem what so ever when it comes to listening to songs/videos out of the built in speakers.

Whenever i plug in my headphones into the computer, on the bottom right of my computer, it comes up saying it recognizes that i just plugged in my headphones. However when i go to control panel, hardware and sound, manage audio devices, my headphones don't show up anywhere. The only thing that shows up is speakers. This leads me to believe this might have something to do with it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : sound working properly

December 27, 2012 4:33:18 PM

Try another headset. This will help verify if its a computer/driver issue, or the headset has a problem with the cable.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 4:52:24 PM

Do you have an audio processing/control program installed, like Realtek?
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2012 10:06:48 PM

Yeah, i have Realtek HD Audio Driver.

I have also tried using another pair of headphones. Still wont work. They do all however work with my ipod.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 10:11:32 PM

Does it have some sort of sound manager? I have Realtek HD Audio Manager but I see it is Asus branded so I do not know if it is unique to Asus MOBO's. What is the exact HP model?
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:19:44 PM

Yeah, i do have a sound manager, same as yours. The product number is QE345UA#ABA
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 11:44:25 PM

Have you tried messing around in there at all? It should recognize where your headphones are plugged in and give you options to control them. Are you plugging into the front panel or the rear panel for audio on the headphones? Have you tried both???
m
l
December 28, 2012 12:01:11 AM

Its weird, the only thing that comes up that seems to do with sound is the speaker options, which i don't think is right. It hardly seems to recognize that the headphones are plugged in at all. On the very bottom, next to the Realtek logo, there is a bright circle that says Headphone (speakers). I cant click on that at all, nothing will happen.

When i do the sound test, i can hear out of both headphones. Ive tried to change the sound to mono, which might fix the problem, but i cant change it. There is a drop down option that says stereo, but i cant change it to anything else.

I guess i could elaborate. The problem started when i plugged in the new apple headphones, you know, the ones that supposedly fit into your ears right. I only listened to them for about, 5 minutes. The next day, i switched them out for the normal ones i always use. This was when the problem started. I looked into the problem before posting here and i found a link i thought seemed promising. I cant seem to find it right now, but the problem was fixed. He said something like the new headphones plug in thing is longer, with more rings on it. I checked it out, and they are the same size, but the apple headphones do have 1 more ring. Maybe this has something to do with it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 12:45:41 AM

unsoundhunter said:
Its weird, the only thing that comes up that seems to do with sound is the speaker options, which i don't think is right. It hardly seems to recognize that the headphones are plugged in at all. On the very bottom, next to the Realtek logo, there is a bright circle that says Headphone (speakers). I cant click on that at all, nothing will happen.

When i do the sound test, i can hear out of both headphones. Ive tried to change the sound to mono, which might fix the problem, but i cant change it. There is a drop down option that says stereo, but i cant change it to anything else.

I guess i could elaborate. The problem started when i plugged in the new apple headphones, you know, the ones that supposedly fit into your ears right. I only listened to them for about, 5 minutes. The next day, i switched them out for the normal ones i always use. This was when the problem started. I looked into the problem before posting here and i found a link i thought seemed promising. I cant seem to find it right now, but the problem was fixed. He said something like the new headphones plug in thing is longer, with more rings on it. I checked it out, and they are the same size, but the apple headphones do have 1 more ring. Maybe this has something to do with it.

What you are seeing with the two different audio jack plugs is the one with less rings doesn't give you full spectrum audio.

Here's some more info as well:
m
l
December 28, 2012 5:05:55 AM

Okay, one pair i have has 3 rings, the other has two. It seems like plugging in a pair of headphones with 3 rings wouldn't cause any problems, but the problem only arose after plugging them in. The 3 ring headphones work the same way as the the 2 ring ones now. I cant hear any vocals/spoken words but i can hear the other noise perfectly clear. I even tried a third pair of headphones to see if the sound was right of them, but it was the exact same. It seems to me to be a problem with the thing i plug the headphones into itself, but im not completely sure.
m
l
December 28, 2012 7:30:21 AM

New, strange development i just discovered. If i press the buttons on the top of the keyboard that change the volume, just about every other one i press ill hear a quick burst of what i should be hearing, which is clear vocals. This only lasts for a short second, before it goes back to crappy faded vocals.

Another weird thing is it seems the overall volume was taken down a notch. As i said earlier, i was messing with the overall volume controls and i found that if i turn the overall volume as high as it gets, its still not very loud. Normally i cant listen to the music with the volume as high as it gets on my computer, but now, it seems that its just as loud at full blast compared to only 30% volume. This is all only when listening to headphones, the speakers are still working as usual.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 12:32:32 PM

Did you try both the front and rear panel ports?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2012 2:39:31 PM

unsoundhunter said:
New, strange development i just discovered. If i press the buttons on the top of the keyboard that change the volume, just about every other one i press ill hear a quick burst of what i should be hearing, which is clear vocals. This only lasts for a short second, before it goes back to crappy faded vocals.

Another weird thing is it seems the overall volume was taken down a notch. As i said earlier, i was messing with the overall volume controls and i found that if i turn the overall volume as high as it gets, its still not very loud. Normally i cant listen to the music with the volume as high as it gets on my computer, but now, it seems that its just as loud at full blast compared to only 30% volume. This is all only when listening to headphones, the speakers are still working as usual.

You may have already tried this, didn't see it if so, but have you tried reinstalling the audio drivers on the computer?

I mention this because if the driver files are damaged it can cause the ports to misbehave similar to what you are describing in great detail. Try doing that and see if it helps.
m
l
December 28, 2012 11:52:23 PM

Front and rear ports? What are those?

And i just reinstalled my realtek HD audio driver thingy, didn't change a thing. I'm starting to think the jack itself im plugging the headphones into isn't working. I may see about buying some USB headphones.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 3:24:32 AM

unsoundhunter said:
Front and rear ports? What are those?

And i just reinstalled my realtek HD audio driver thingy, didn't change a thing. I'm starting to think the jack itself im plugging the headphones into isn't working. I may see about buying some USB headphones.

Are any of the ports loose at all when you plug the headphones in either port? If there is any play in it at all it could be a sign that the solder points have failed on for that port.
m
l
December 29, 2012 5:21:16 PM

Either port? The only two ports it looks like i could plug my headphones into is the headphone jack and one that has a microphone symbol on it. When i plug it into the microphone, it says i plugged in something to the audio jack but when i listen to anything it comes up through the speakers. Is there anyway to get the speaker jack to work like an audio one? It would be a long shot.

To answer your question over are the ports loose, not as far as i can tell by looking at them externally.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2012 5:59:43 PM

You would typically plug headphones or external speakers into the speaker jack on the laptop itself and not the microphone jack, so the computer was behaving correctly when it diverted the sound to the internal speakers on the laptop.

I don't think we've established this yet but when you are listening to music or watching a video, what programs are you using for that?

I'm also wondering if the headphones you're trying to use (not the apple ones that worked) are not strong enough to deliver all the voices being generated when you are using them, thus the missing ring.

What type of headphones are they? I want to try to find some specs on them to look into this a bit further.
m
l
December 29, 2012 7:46:33 PM

Plugz by Ifrogz, the specs are in the link below:

http://www.zagg.com/ifrogz/earbuds/plugz-buds-earphones...

Ive always found them to be cheap, reliable headphones. I guess the proper word would be ear buds, but i call everything headphones. They do work with my iPod, and on another computer. They also worked fine before a couple days ago when the sound all of a sudden stopped working.

I listen to my music through Itunes. Trying another itunes like program would probably be worth trying, but it would still wouldn't explain why i cant watch youtube videos, or any videos on the internet. Im using Realtek HD Audio Driver as the sound driver.

MY new USB headphones work great though. Im still going all out trying to get this fixed. I don't like having broken technology :cry: 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2013 6:19:21 PM

Do you have 'Karaoke Mode' enabled or have you got 'Centre Cancellation' enabled in your sound FX settings?

These should be unchecked.
m
l
November 12, 2013 7:08:58 PM

How do i see if those are enabled or not?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2013 7:36:28 PM

unsoundhunter said:
How do i see if those are enabled or not?

Right-click on the volume icon and select 'Playback devices'.

Click on your output device and click on 'Properties'.

There may be a tab there where you can make enhancements to the sound. Try disabling them all.

Do you have an Audio application running in the background?

Check Task Manager and see.

Perhaps you installed a 'fun' application provided by the headphone manufacturer.

Does your headphone device have a screen where you can make setting?

What sound card do you have?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2013 9:38:01 AM

Okay. Well, give this a try.

First, turn down the volume on the computer to about fifty percent. We don't need ear-drums problems that could render this entire exercise irrelevant.

Right click on the volume icon.

Select 'Recording devices'.

Click on the top one and click on Properties.

Select the Listen tab and check the Listen to this device' box.

Select the Levels tab and boost the volume a little.

Do the same for all the 'Recording devices'.

If you find one that works, set it as default and stop the other devices from being listened to, if you want.

Any improvement?
m
l
December 8, 2013 7:20:47 AM

IF ITS NOT THE HEADPHONE'S PROBLEM THE SOLUTION IS GOING TO CONTROL PANEL/HARDWRE AND SOUND/SOUND
THEN CLICK ON YOUR HEADPHONE DEVICE THEN CLICK PROPERTIES THEN THE LEVELS TAB
IN THE LEVELS TAB YOU CAN SEE THE VOLUME
CLICK ON "BALANCE" THEN REDUCE ONE OF THEM TO VALUE=ZERO
m
l
December 23, 2013 12:51:33 PM

@PRINCESSHINO

this did solve mine thank you Bro :D 

IF ITS NOT THE HEADPHONE'S PROBLEM THE SOLUTION IS GOING TO CONTROL PANEL/HARDWRE AND SOUND/SOUND
m
l
January 9, 2014 8:06:59 PM

Has anyone found a solution for this?! I'm running windows 8 on an ASUS Notebook, model X551C. I ran into this problem about 10 minutes ago and this is the first link I've found that directly correlates to my issue . Just as OP stated, when I go to my sound settings in control panel, my headphones are not recognized. However, when I plug my headphones into the jack, I do get a pop-up telling me that I've plugged a device into the audio jack. I'm very desperate for a solution and I'd appreciate all the help I can get.
m
l
January 28, 2014 8:23:25 AM

And mine Problem is also solved .
PRINCESSHINO i justtt love u man
I want to KISS You
Gud jobbb
Thanx alotttt

PRINCESSHINO said:

m
l
January 28, 2014 8:30:27 AM

Hey unsoundhunter..Scroll down and u,ll find out the solution as i founded

Well i mentioned it for u bro
Njoy The Beatles :-)

PRINCESSHINO said:

unsoundhunter said:
Hey everyone, Ive got a really weird problem with my sound on my HP laptop. I'm a noob when it comes to computers, so bear with me. Whenever i try to listen to anything on my computer using headphones, i can hear the music/background noise perfectly clear, but i cant hear the words being spoken, or if i can hear them, they are really faded. Not all the songs on my computer behave this way, however all videos i watch do behave this way.

Here is where it gets weird. Some times, for no apparent reason, some random songs just wont work. When ever i try to play Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles, for instance, i can't hear any vocals. However when i play Revolver by the Beatles, it sounds normal. It seems to be pretty hit or miss as to what songs will actually play and what won't. I have tried switching out the headphones i was using, but they all behave in the same way.

I don't have this problem what so ever when it comes to listening to songs/videos out of the built in speakers.

Whenever i plug in my headphones into the computer, on the bottom right of my computer, it comes up saying it recognizes that i just plugged in my headphones. However when i go to control panel, hardware and sound, manage audio devices, my headphones don't show up anywhere. The only thing that shows up is speakers. This leads me to believe this might have something to do with it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

m
l
February 4, 2014 12:35:25 PM

Zyzz7 said:
Has anyone found a solution for this?! I'm running windows 8 on an ASUS Notebook, model X551C. I ran into this problem about 10 minutes ago and this is the first link I've found that directly correlates to my issue . Just as OP stated, when I go to my sound settings in control panel, my headphones are not recognized. However, when I plug my headphones into the jack, I do get a pop-up telling me that I've plugged a device into the audio jack. I'm very desperate for a solution and I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

I just read through this old thread today and didn't find an answer that worked, but I'm using iphone 4S headphones (and this sounds crazy) but if you just pull them out like a millimeter from being all the way in, the sound fixes itself completely. I think it has something to do with that diagram upthread. Before, mine sounded like the vocals were underwater and no software changes made a difference. I just pulled them out as if to take them out of the computer and got a burst of sound, so that was my fix.
m
l
February 4, 2014 3:58:52 PM

aaabbbbbbbbyyyy said:
Zyzz7 said:

I just read through this old thread today and didn't find an answer that worked, but I'm using iphone 4S headphones (and this sounds crazy) but if you just pull them out like a millimeter from being all the way in, the sound fixes itself completely. I think it has something to do with that diagram upthread. Before, mine sounded like the vocals were underwater and no software changes made a difference. I just pulled them out as if to take them out of the computer and got a burst of sound, so that was my fix.

Hey, thanks for the input. However, I found a solution by doing what the posted above described.
These are the steps for Windows 8
1. Plug your headphones in, you should receive a pop up saying that you've plugged them in
2. Click start, then control panel
3. Scroll down and click 'sound', a menu should pop up with the headings - Playback|Recording|Sounds|Communication
4. In that menu, you should see 'speakers' under Playback, click speakers once so it's highlighted
5. Click properties in the bottom right corner of that menu, another menu should pop up with the headings General|Levels|Enhancement|Advanced
6. Go to the 'Levels' tab, and you should see a box on the right which says 'Balance', click it.
7. You should see a pop-up displaying the L and R speakers, just change ONE of these ZERO, it does NOT matter which one.
8. Click 'ok' and make sure to apply the changes, enjoy!

m
l
July 5, 2014 5:59:23 PM

Zyzz7 said:
aaabbbbbbbbyyyy said:
Zyzz7 said:

Hey, thanks for the input. However, I found a solution by doing what the posted above described.
These are the steps for Windows 8
1. Plug your headphones in, you should receive a pop up saying that you've plugged them in
2. Click start, then control panel
3. Scroll down and click 'sound', a menu should pop up with the headings - Playback|Recording|Sounds|Communication
4. In that menu, you should see 'speakers' under Playback, click speakers once so it's highlighted
5. Click properties in the bottom right corner of that menu, another menu should pop up with the headings General|Levels|Enhancement|Advanced
6. Go to the 'Levels' tab, and you should see a box on the right which says 'Balance', click it.
7. You should see a pop-up displaying the L and R speakers, just change ONE of these ZERO, it does NOT matter which one.
8. Click 'ok' and make sure to apply the changes, enjoy!

og ty ty ty ty ty ty.

m
l
!