Can't make up my mind here.

To day i got the following lineup:
LOTR (Got it NIB, like it alot)
Star Wars DE (Mostly since i'm a huge star wars fan)
Creature From the Black Lagoon (Love this game)

Last game that i had was a Star Trek The next generation, didnt like
this game at all. To get a clue on what i like and have owned before:
Twilight Zone (liked this game), TOM (Nice one also), Tales from the
Crypt (Didnt like), Who Dunnit (Bad bad bad).

I need some advice on this. I live in a small town and doesnt have
mutch chance to play this 3 games very mutch.

TOTAN is a bit cheaper then the other two but have gotten some good and
bad posts.
CV is a pain to find, but looks great!
MB Looks nice, but its almost the same games as LOTR right?

CV then MB then TOTAN. In my opinion there is a nice gap between CV and
MB/Totan.

Play em all and decide.

Totally agree with Mark.

BUT you like Creature and MB fits nice theme wise so that may influence
your decision. I personally HATE Creature and think ST:TNG is
WAAAAAYYYY better, but to each his own. So given your collection, you
might want to consider MB over CV.

Duane

MM is NOT like LoTR in my opinion. I had a LoTR and sold it. I STILL
have MM. I have CV too, but if it came down to one or the other, I would
still stick with MM. Not to easy to finish with GREAT quotes.

Harry
<gambit_svenskmud@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can't make up my mind here.
>
> To day i got the following lineup:
> LOTR (Got it NIB, like it alot)
> Star Wars DE (Mostly since i'm a huge star wars fan)
> Creature From the Black Lagoon (Love this game)
>
> Last game that i had was a Star Trek The next generation, didnt like
> this game at all. To get a clue on what i like and have owned before:
> Twilight Zone (liked this game), TOM (Nice one also), Tales from the
> Crypt (Didnt like), Who Dunnit (Bad bad bad).
>
> I need some advice on this. I live in a small town and doesnt have
> mutch chance to play this 3 games very mutch.
>
> TOTAN is a bit cheaper then the other two but have gotten some good and
> bad posts.
> CV is a pain to find, but looks great!
> MB Looks nice, but its almost the same games as LOTR right?

I'm such a dumbass. Had MM on the brain and saw MB.
"Stupid...so stupid!!! Long Duck Dong
> Harry Williamson : I ask about MB (Monster Bash), not MM:)

Opinions are like......well you should know how the saying goes.
(Although there sure seems to be alot of "experts" on rgp that seem to
know which games are stinkers and which ones aren't).
Personally, I would go with the MB.
BB

go with CV, CV is the best pinball game i've ever played. Just
awesome setup. lots of different multiball sequences (that are
stackable) and just cool theme.

Ron

one thing you did not mention was budget ... according to 2005 mr pin,
cv is $3225, toan $3000 and mb $4225 ... so mb is the most expensive of
the lot if budget is an issue.

although these are not impossible to find as i am looking for toan and
cv in northern california (anyone out there selling these or a
whirlwind?) ... these are all fairly low production volumes of about
3000 so lots of patience, and cash, is required if you want something
to buy locally.

i own mb, not only because i like it, but frankly, it was an
opportunistic deal that i cound not pass up because it was a GREAT
price. you may find yourself in a position that if any one of the
three may come up, you gotta act quick and trust your gut.

that being said, the mb actually fit well in my humble collection of
two, as i also own a tz. tz like your lotr has a fairly since you have
lotr that has a deep ruleset so i wanted something to complement it in
play and theme with what you have.

if i had your collection, i would probably go cv or mb ... and then
toan last.

reason toan is last is i think conceptually toan is like your star wars
(shot the deathstar up the middle / shoot the genie up the middle).
that is why i would put it last. i personally like toan, i know it is
shallow, but it is colorful, fun and lots of great toys and with the
spinning lamp you get variability so every game is differant. hey, if
you want deep, play your lotr or read a book\-).

cv i like because of so many ways to get a multiball going. this would
give an entirely diffeant look with all the color and cool neon and
play is differant than what you have in your current collection.

mb my guess would come in high with you because if you like the
creature theme, you will go crazy with five more monsters at your beck
and call. my blood really gets going when you get the franky multiball
(it's alive!). if you like afm, you will like mb. this game is also
not deep, but it is a lot of fun.

tough call when you list three of my favorites ... *sigh* so many
pinballs i like, but so little space to put them! \-) i guess this is
a good problem to have.

good luck

\ron

angelo

Well, I have owned a TOTAN, I liked it. It's not deep.
TOTAN is just like TOM, in MANY ways.
So if you want a TOM on steroids, get TOTAN.

I geus you could say TOM and TOTAN is like AFM and MM.

I'd take CV or ToTAN. ToTAN is a bit
more shallow, but I like it anyway. Fast
and fun. CV is equally as nice, but more
challenging and not always good for just
a strait up, fun game.

MB should belong to someone else.

(No, not me either...)

--
Fred
TX

<gambit_svenskmud@hotmail.com> wrote

> Can't make up my mind here.
>
> To day i got the following lineup:
> LOTR (Got it NIB, like it alot)
> Star Wars DE (Mostly since i'm a huge star wars fan)
> Creature From the Black Lagoon (Love this game)
>
> Last game that i had was a Star Trek The next generation, didnt like
> this game at all. To get a clue on what i like and have owned before:
> Twilight Zone (liked this game), TOM (Nice one also), Tales from the
> Crypt (Didnt like), Who Dunnit (Bad bad bad).
>
> I need some advice on this. I live in a small town and doesnt have
> mutch chance to play this 3 games very mutch.
>
> TOTAN is a bit cheaper then the other two but have gotten some good and
> bad posts.
> CV is a pain to find, but looks great!
> MB Looks nice, but its almost the same games as LOTR right?

Sorry but I own TOM and CV. and TOM looks great, and it's definately in
my top 5, but CV blows the doors off it with story, complexity and damn
right ass kickery. Ringmaster is cooler than anything in TOM, (except
maybe the backglass chics big knockers) and the different multiballs.
boom balloon is the coolest feature i've seen on a pin yet. I have to
go play it now. brb.

jdix

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

I was being sarcastic about TOM. That game blows more than Popeye. Be
sure to read my post about the guy who got the HUO TOM. CV destroys
every pinball machine that ever has been, or will be made, period.
Well unless of course I make a pinball machine, because then it would
have to be better.

I concur. CV is chalked full of awesomeness that is hard to describe
to people who havn't played it or don't like complex things. :)

TOTAN is beautiful JUNK! don't buy it.

Monster Bash and Cirqus Voltaire are both very good and nice pinballs.
try them both en buy what you like.

pascal www.flipperfarm.be

ross

I have CV and MB, but not TOTAN.

I rank MB higher than CV. The licensed theme is easy for non-pinball
enthusiasts to relate to. It is more humourous than CV, although not
as funny as MM. If properly adjusted, there are not that many SDTM
drains. The multiball startups in MB are nice light and music shows.
Young and old seem to like the game, very popular. George Gomez spoke
at last years expo and stated that the MB was the post popular game in
his collection when people come over to play (I got the impression that
he was not talking about pinball enthusiasts specifically).

We seem to have a lot of SDTM drains from our CV. Many time if you hit
the loop around the ringmaster from right to left, it comes down the
middle and drains. It can also drain from the exit from the Juggler
area, which is basically a gravity feed starting from square in the
middle of the playfield. Also some of the unsucessful shots up the
highwiure ramp feed back between the flippers.

I have had this complaint from many people playing it, again last night
even. I was going to get out the levels today and check the setup.

Does anyone else have this issue with CV?

I have done some work on CV to make it play better. The switches on
the highwire ramp tended to hold the balls, so I replaced them with
roller switches, like the ones on the sword ramp in LOTR. I also had
some stuck balls up by the highwire magnet, and was able to stop them
by changing the position of the metal ramp and using a clear washer
(sling-shot protector) on the nut that holds the ramp to the
mini-playfield to prevent hang ups on the left edge of the ramp leaving
the playfield.

I am surprised to see so many supporters of CV over MB. Right now if
the family voted, CV would be off of the island... (collection:
LOTR, TSPP, MM, TAF, CV, RFM/SWE1, TZ, MB, SC)

Ross

Ross wrote:
> I have CV and MB, but not TOTAN.

I have a CV and will pick up my MB this week.

> I rank MB higher than CV.

As I will have both, I will have to play a lot of MB to make a
judgement between the two. I always like the opinions of people who
have played or own some of the machines in these "opinion" questions.

>The licensed theme is easy for non-pinball
> enthusiasts to relate to.

I would agree. For me, my machines are mine (without trying to be a
smart aleck). I don't care too much what "friends" or non-pinball
people think who come over. Hey they get to play the machine for free
and they want a game they can relate to :)

> It is more humourous than CV, although not
> as funny as MM.

I also own MM. Which (as you say) is very funny. That is one of the
most appealing aspects of the game.

> If properly adjusted, there are not that many SDTM
> drains. The multiball startups in MB are nice light and music shows.
> Young and old seem to like the game, very popular. George Gomez spoke
> at last years expo and stated that the MB was the post popular game in
> his collection when people come over to play (I got the impression that
> he was not talking about pinball enthusiasts specifically).
>
> We seem to have a lot of SDTM drains from our CV.

That I have not had. Perhaps as you dialed in your MB you could tweak
CV.

> I am surprised to see so many supporters of CV over MB.

I am still not sure why you are surprised, CV is a cool game. So is MB.
I just haven't spent the time on MB. That will end next week when I go
pick it up.

> Right now if
> the family voted, CV would be off of the island... (collection:
> LOTR, TSPP, MM, TAF, CV, RFM/SWE1, TZ, MB, SC)

Thats whats good about personal opinions and collections. For example,
if I voted on your collection (which is superb btw) I would keep CV
before TAF or TZ.

All things created equal, if you only had space for one, MB.

--
"The_Black_Knight"

The Washington State Pinball Stronghold
"A Fortress Protecting the Silver Ball"

www.geocities.com/pinball_jack

<gambit_svenskmud@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can't make up my mind here.
>
> To day i got the following lineup:
> LOTR (Got it NIB, like it alot)
> Star Wars DE (Mostly since i'm a huge star wars fan)
> Creature From the Black Lagoon (Love this game)
>
> Last game that i had was a Star Trek The next generation, didnt like
> this game at all. To get a clue on what i like and have owned before:
> Twilight Zone (liked this game), TOM (Nice one also), Tales from the
> Crypt (Didnt like), Who Dunnit (Bad bad bad).
>
> I need some advice on this. I live in a small town and doesnt have
> mutch chance to play this 3 games very mutch.
>
> TOTAN is a bit cheaper then the other two but have gotten some good and
> bad posts.
> CV is a pain to find, but looks great!
> MB Looks nice, but its almost the same games as LOTR right?

I am with you Ross. I would choose the MB. Although I might get the CV,
shop it out and sell it then buy something else, or two something
elses. CV may have good code, but it has too many things I dislike
about the design: the flourescent, the flipper lanes, the captured
plastic ball, the boom balloon, and ringmaster are all things that make
the game worse instead of better for me. Never playing another one
would suit me just fine.

-cody
CARGPB#4

Ross wrote:
> I have CV and MB, but not TOTAN.
>
> I rank MB higher than CV. The licensed theme is easy for non-pinball
> enthusiasts to relate to. It is more humourous than CV, although not
> as funny as MM. If properly adjusted, there are not that many SDTM
> drains. The multiball startups in MB are nice light and music shows.
> Young and old seem to like the game, very popular. George Gomez spoke
> at last years expo and stated that the MB was the post popular game in
> his collection when people come over to play (I got the impression that
> he was not talking about pinball enthusiasts specifically).
>
> We seem to have a lot of SDTM drains from our CV. Many time if you hit
> the loop around the ringmaster from right to left, it comes down the
> middle and drains. It can also drain from the exit from the Juggler
> area, which is basically a gravity feed starting from square in the
> middle of the playfield. Also some of the unsucessful shots up the
> highwiure ramp feed back between the flippers.
>
> I have had this complaint from many people playing it, again last night
> even. I was going to get out the levels today and check the setup.
>
> Does anyone else have this issue with CV?
>
> I have done some work on CV to make it play better. The switches on
> the highwire ramp tended to hold the balls, so I replaced them with
> roller switches, like the ones on the sword ramp in LOTR. I also had
> some stuck balls up by the highwire magnet, and was able to stop them
> by changing the position of the metal ramp and using a clear washer
> (sling-shot protector) on the nut that holds the ramp to the
> mini-playfield to prevent hang ups on the left edge of the ramp leaving
> the playfield.
>
> I am surprised to see so many supporters of CV over MB. Right now if
> the family voted, CV would be off of the island... (collection:
> LOTR, TSPP, MM, TAF, CV, RFM/SWE1, TZ, MB, SC)
>
> Ross

I have a CV and have played both MB and TOTAN. I don't like TOTAN at
all. MB is okay to look at and it is fun to listen to, watch, etc..
but am not sold on its play. CV is fun. I think its a touch easy, but
I do enjoy playing it. My wife likes it even more, but she is not
quite as good at pinball. CV is easily our most popular game with
company.

We have STTNG, which I enjoy but do get frustrated with from time to
time. Who Dunnit, another you rated as a stinker, which is my wife's
favorite and I have to say I like it more every time I've played it. I
wasn't sold on it when I got it, but really the game is just good fun.
My favorite game in our line up is Fish Tales, fast, challenging shots
and one of the most satisfying shots in pinball when you set up those
super jackpots.

Anyway, I'd definitely go with CV over the other two, but MB may be
your speed with your current line up.

I have all three. My order would be CV, MB, TOTAN. I would take the
TOTAN out of the running myself as it is just too easy compared to the
other two. CV and MB very different. I think CV is more of a
love/hate pin while MB is generally liked (but not always loved).

Brian