TECH? Jungle Lord

Well, not really a tech question. I'm thinking of buying one, since I
played this a lot on location and liked it a lot. The speech, the sounds,
the mini panchiko thing. I played one at Allentown in '99 I think, a red
cab version.

Knowing that this is the same system and build as BK pretty much, what
typically goes wrong with these pins besides the interconnect? What would I
be in for? I'm mostly an EM tech guy, so I appreciate the advice.
I am asking, because nobody EVER posts a tech about Jungle Lord but every
day about BK. And I know somebody owns a Jungle Lord pin. It's not that
bad a game. So what if there's no bumper. I own a Stern Lightning pin, and
it's one of the best solid state pins I own. Similar to BK without the high
price tag.

Thanks guys,
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
http://www.theyorkshow.com
9 answers Last reply
More about tech jungle lord

    Someone had one for sale at CAX (I think he wanted $800). Personally,
    I think you'd be better off with a Grand Lizard.

    -Gregg B

    JL doesn't have speech, does it? All I remember are animal type sounds.
    I like the game. I had to dismantle mine because it became infested
    with post-beetles and had cabinet rot, but while it lasted, I liked to
    play it.

    As far as things going wrong...just like any other game from the
    period. The circuit boards can be burned, rotted, bad. The displays
    have serious longevity problems that are expensive to repair, but once
    done should last long time. Backglass may suffer crom cracking,
    flaking, peeling. Old microswitches are often bad. Typical stuff.

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    "Pin Geek" wrote:
    > Knowing that this is the same system and build as BK pretty much, what
    > typically goes wrong with these pins besides the interconnect? What would
    > be in for?

    Mostly consider anything that is an "old-age" related problem- these are the
    most common problems or causes of problems in these games. Best things to
    do right off the bat on an older, generally "untouched" game like this would
    be:

    - Remove all circuit boards and reflow solder on backs of all connector
    pins- you'll find a LOT of cracked joints that are the cause of intermittent
    operation problems (old age stuff). This will drastically increase the
    overall reliability of the game. The 40-pin inter-board connector may need
    special attention- consider replacing pins if worn too badly and look for
    damaged, corroded, mashed, or missing pins in the female (driver board)
    side.
    - Power supply upgrade. Replace the filter capacitor on the power supply
    for the 5vdc regulator circuitry. Give it a healthy new unit. Units of
    original specs aren't made anymore so you have to substitute a "modern"
    equivalent. We have a really good filter cap that we sell and use on these
    old games that works great. Also replace the bridge rectifier for the 5vdc
    circuitry as these tend to fail frequently when they're old and worn out.
    We carry a heavy duty unit for replacement.
    - Flippers. This game uses the old "one-piece" flipper baseplate design
    with built-in coil stop that is impossible to change out without replacing
    the whole baseplate. If you're keeping the game long-term, consider
    swapping all of the old units out with modern Bally/Williams units- new (if
    you can find the parts) or used, rebuilding with a flipper rebuild kit is
    also an option- same fit, etc.- but perform much better and much easier to
    maintain as time goes on.
    - Drop targets. Often these get gummed up or sticky over the years and need
    lubrication or a full tear-down and rebuild to get them to work good and
    reliably.

    Issues with the electronics (old age problems) are what most commonly plague
    these classic games, so start in the backbox and get everything running
    healthy before moving on to the playfield mechanics. You'll have a good
    reliable, fun, good-playing game if you do it right and invest the
    time/money to do it right.

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    OK. Maybe I was thinking of GrandLizard...

    -cody
    CARGPB#4

    Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
    > <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote:
    > > JL doesn't have speech, does it?
    >
    > It does have speech.
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!

    Yes it does have speech. :+)

    <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote:
    > JL doesn't have speech, does it?

    It does have speech.

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

    Thanks Ray.

    --
    "Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > maintain as time goes on.
    > - Drop targets. Often these get gummed up or sticky over the years and
    > need
    > lubrication or a full tear-down and rebuild to get them to work good and
    > reliably.
    >
    > Issues with the electronics (old age problems) are what most commonly
    > plague
    > these classic games, so start in the backbox and get everything running
    > healthy before moving on to the playfield mechanics. You'll have a good
    > reliable, fun, good-playing game if you do it right and invest the
    > time/money to do it right.
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!

    Yes, that's what you were thinking! :)

    No speech on GL.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    <cchunn3@comcast.net> wrote > OK. Maybe I was thinking of GrandLizard...

    On 24 Sep 2005 12:29:10 -0700, cchunn3@comcast.net wrote:

    >JL doesn't have speech, does it? All I remember are animal type sounds.
    >I like the game. I had to dismantle mine because it became infested
    >with post-beetles and had cabinet rot, but while it lasted, I liked to
    >play it.
    >
    >As far as things going wrong...just like any other game from the
    >period. The circuit boards can be burned, rotted, bad. The displays
    >have serious longevity problems that are expensive to repair, but once
    >done should last long time. Backglass may suffer crom cracking,
    >flaking, peeling. Old microswitches are often bad. Typical stuff.
    >
    >-cody
    >CARGPB#4
    >

    >Pin Geek wrote:
    >> Well, not really a tech question. I'm thinking of buying one, since I
    >> played this a lot on location and liked it a lot. The speech, the sounds,
    >> the mini panchiko thing. I played one at Allentown in '99 I think, a red
    >> cab version.
    >>
    >> Knowing that this is the same system and build as BK pretty much, what
    >> typically goes wrong with these pins besides the interconnect? What would I
    >> be in for? I'm mostly an EM tech guy, so I appreciate the advice.
    >> I am asking, because nobody EVER posts a tech about Jungle Lord but every
    >> day about BK. And I know somebody owns a Jungle Lord pin. It's not that
    >> bad a game. So what if there's no bumper. I own a Stern Lightning pin, and
    >> it's one of the best solid state pins I own. Similar to BK without the high
    >> price tag.
    >>
    >> Thanks guys,
    >> Josh
    >> http://www.pingeek.com
    >> Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
    >> http://www.theyorkshow.com

    I have the 3 of the 4, system 7 dual playfield games. I don't I will ever get a hold of a Solar Fire. (It would be nice)
    A friend of mine mentioned tonight that he loves playing the Jungle Lord. It does talk.
    The Pharaoh is in project status at the moment. I can't comment on that one yet.
    I like the JL & the BK, I think they are both classics. Of course, this comes from a guy that only has SS games.
    I don't have much of an interest in DMDs, but if an EM came my way, that would be cool.
    I remember playing Lady Luck at Marty's Playland in Ocean City. I think I liked it so much, because it was the only one that was still a nickel.

    I also have a Lightning, I think that is cool game also. The flipper assemblies were shot, so I pieced them together. I could not duplicate the dual
    EOS switch. I paralleled the upper & lower coils, they just don't have the kick that they should. I need to come up with the best way to apply current
    separately. Maybe it is because of the flippers, I don't have a lot of success getting multi ball.

    Really, all the system 7 dual playfield games are the basically the same as far as maintenance goes. Burned IDC & Molex connectors, pins between the
    driver & cpu boards. Just do the mods from Marvin Gs site. It seems that the backglasses on all those games aren't very good now days. Too bad there
    are not replacements for the other 3. My Pharaoh & JL both need backglasses.

    John

Games Video Games Product