P4 3.00GHz : how hot & fast?

timclyma

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
Hi.

I've got an "Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0GHz HT Socket 775 800Mhz 1MB Cache CPU".

1. What is the highest speed to which it can be safely overclocked to?

2. What is the optimum operational temperature band within which it should run?

Advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks all & THWG.

Tim Clyma.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
1)You need better cooling than the stock fan really. And 'Safe' is a very relative term :smile: . At a guess, 3.2-3.4Ghz with stock cooler, 3.4 - 3.8Ghz with a high-end aircooler, 3.8Ghz+ with watercooling.
A friend of mine has a 3.4Ghz P4. It was throttling due to overheating at stock speeds (Mostly because of dust). These things are HOT. Yours is a little slower, but will still put out a lot of heat.

2)Try to stay at or below 55C at load. You can't instantly kill a P4 through temperature alone (enough extra voltage will kill them though), but lower temps mean longer life, and less stress on the other components in the case through ambient heat. Intel Used to say 55C was max, until they released scotty... Can't think what changed their mind :eek:

The scotty chips do tend to overclock quite well, provided you can manage the heat.

---
<font color=red>(") This is bunny's foot. Wingding ate the rest of him. At least he's now a good luck charm.</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Oh, plus of course max overclocks depend heavily on what motherboard & RAM you have (even what gfx card can play a part)

---
<font color=red>(") This is bunny's foot. Wingding ate the rest of him. At least he's now a good luck charm.</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Dependsd mostly on which MOBO you get.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well yeah, on the crappy noisy stock coolers at least...

Besides, I only said 'try' to keep it below 55C... :evil:

---

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an "Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0GHz HT Socket 775 800Mhz 1MB Cache CPU".

1. What is the highest speed to which it can be safely overclocked to?
<i>Safely?</i> 3.0GHz of course. Anything higher voids your warranty, and that's just not safe! :O

2. What is the optimum operational temperature band within which it should run?
I'd say staying at about room temperature is as optimum as you can get unless you really want to calculate based on your humidity. You don't want condensation after all. Of course if you stick with air cooling, you'll never have to worry about that. ;)

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>Deal with the Devil. He buys in bulk.</i></font color=red>
@ 197K of 200K!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you would have told us the MOBO and RAM that you have, you would have gotten a better answer.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Well I'm not a fan of overclocking since in my personal experience I have always ended up running into weird computer crashes.

As far as optimal CPU temperatures up to 55 degrees celcius appears to be safe. Anything more and you're risking an uncontrollable fission reactor. =P

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Intel have sold a great many uncontrollable fission reactors if that's the case :smile:

Them putting the ol' throttling feature into the P4 design was a master-stroke. there must be so many people with scotty systems who don't know how badly it's baking, because their system still works, just not very quickly.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
My sig has answers.

==================================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A> | <A HREF="http://www.clancas.net/cpuhot.htm" target="_new">P4 heat solution</A> | <A HREF="http://peteroy.blogspot.com" target="_new">My Blog</A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Northwoods are great chips. My work PC is a 2.8Ghz P4C. Runs very sweetly :smile: . I was tasked with speccing out new PCs for everyone here at work, and the Northwoods where the obvious choice at the time, so that's what I've got.

If I had to do the same today I'd probably get A64s, possibly X2 chips but would depend on finances.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
It doesn't have the answers. The fan is still loud. The thing is still too hot, and the majority of cases with that setup that I've seen have no or inadequate dust filters on that side hole - combine that with a fan that pushes more air than your average, and you get a pretty good dust hoover. Over time that dust will be enough to choke the fan, and then you have a PC at 100% throttling all the time. People will notice it's a bit slow, but it's not crashing so they (mostly) won't call tech support, and all the while there's this chunk of metal happily heating up the motherboard components, and therefore reducing their lifespan.

I know decent case airflow should take care of ambient heat problems, but most of the people I'm talking about don't know anything about that, or even how to open the case. A friend of mine had a Fujitsu PC with exactly this problem. The CPU was at 80C, and 100% throttling all the time, just due to dust. He bought this PC from a HP scheme at his workplace, and they sell the same range in PC world, so there must be hundreds of that range out there.

It really doesn't matter how it's dressed up. If you look at the prescott chips at or below 3.2Ghz, then Intel themselves make chips that equal them in performance, yet don't require this ridiculous tube thing. Why should it be hailed as some sort of triumph?

It's damage limitation, not some new approach or a solution to the <i>actual</i> problem.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>