OMG MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know how some of you guys do it. I just popped a standard LGA775 cooler on a P4 530, and at only 4750RPM the fan already sounds like THE WORLD'S LOUDEST HAIR DRYER!!!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Get an AMD 64 and use the stock cooler...problem solved...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
We have a load of 2.8Ghz Northwood C PCs with stock coolers here at work, and one 2.8Ghz Scotty PC with otherwise completely identical specs (mobo, case, PSU, etc). There's no way I could bear to have the scotty system at home due to the noise, but the northwood fans are all nice and quiet.

They should've shipped them with a 92mm cooler IMO. that little fan just can't cut it.

---
<font color=red>(") This is bunny's foot. Wingding ate the rest of him. At least he's now a good luck charm.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an AMD 64 and stock cooler. It sounds like my 2.6C Northwood cooler, but the CPU performs better.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<pre><font color=orange> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=orange> - Cedrik says crank up some music and throw your paws in the air<font color=orange>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=orange> like you're a hare! <font color=blue>♫ I'm bad. I'm nationwide. ♪</font color=blue></pre><p> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>Deal with the Devil. He buys in bulk.</i></font color=red>
@ 197K of 200K!

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Does it sound like <A HREF="http://koti.welho.com/pnystro2/Hauskat_videot/PXE840_Cooling.avi" target="_new">this cooler</A> ?

:lol:

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Geeze. At first I'm thinking that cooler isn't so loud. I almost closed the file before getting to the good (bad?) part. You really have to wait for it, but <i>damn</i>.<pre><font color=blue> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=blue> - Cedrik says only you can prevent bad lighting. Do your part.<font color=blue>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=blue>   Light a fart. Make some bunny happy.</pre><p> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>Deal with the Devil. He buys in bulk.</i></font color=red>
@ 197K of 200K!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
They must have made a slightly different fan along the way. I have installed a bunch of these for people and noticed that some are louder than others.

What MOBO are you reviewing?

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ECS RS400-A. I can't seem to find the place in BIOS for turning the fan speed down. It's a 3-wire fan, the header supports an alternative method via a 3/4 pin connector but I can't find any way to use the traditional method...

Count on NOT seeing any AGP-Express numbers. The slot only supports around 1/2 the cards on the street, I have the other half...

Really, AGP-Express only seems to support 2x/4x/8x cards, not 4x/8x, I think it only works with cards that can supply a 3.3v signal, which would make sense, given that it's really a PCI slot.

I do have some GeForce2 cards that work in the AGP-Express slot, but those are too old to run the benchmarks. All my newer cards lack 3.3v capability.

That is, unless someone wants to send me a 9500 or something.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, it runs at full speed all the time.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Not sure about that MOBO but mine and the other two I have owned have an option to adjust the fan. I have a 9600 if that would help you.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it sounds like that fan at midspeed.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ive also got an old MGI card but its 4X im sure.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a 9600 as well. They don't support 3.3v signals, which is the only reason I can figure that the board refuses them.

Yes, I said refuses them. It pretends these 4x/8x cards (as opposed to 2x/4x and 2x/4x/8x) aren't even there.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
That MGI came out of a 1999 Compaq, I dont think it would work in a new board .

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an old GeForce2 but cards that old won't benchmark for DX8/DX9.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Yes, it sounds like that fan at midspeed.
When i heard that fan first time, i thought it's 100% fake..

But now im scared of Intel HSF's :lol:

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had one of those, it was loud and high pitched, but not as loud as this one. Something's wrong with the design on this one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My Volcano II had a 60mm fan that spun at 6800-7200RPM

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it's completely possible. It's the same design as this one, but with thermal protection on an 840 CPU, it's max speed would have to be much higher.

When that thing kicked it up to the middle, it sounded like this one.

TRENDING THREADS