MN-740 and Linksys WRT45G problems with MAC Filter

I just picked up a MN-740 wireless adapter for my xbox and I have been
unable to get it working with my Linksys router when I have mac address
filtering turned on. I have applied the latest firmware to the linksys
router and the XBOX adapter, so I know that can't be it.

Thinking that maybe the MAC address on the bottom of the MN-740 was
wrong I tried it without filtering enabled and was able to connect. I
know the MAC address I have in my filter tables is fine because when the
filtering is off and the xbox is connecting I can see the mac address I
used in the DHCP list.

Any ideas? I don't want to leave my network unsecured just to use this
wireless adapter. I know that WEP 128 is good.. but WEP 128 and a mac
filter is the better.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Lloyd Hannesson
2 answers Last reply
More about linksys wrt45g problems filter

    Hi,

    Have you tried typing in the MAC address of the wired Xbox's ethernet
    adapter? I'm pretty sure I ran into that problem when I setup my network
    before. You can go into the Xbox's network menus to find the MAC address.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Lloyd Hannesson" <no.dasme.spam@dasme.org> wrote in message
    >I just picked up a MN-740 wireless adapter for my xbox and I have been
    >unable to get it working with my Linksys router when I have mac address
    >filtering turned on. I have applied the latest firmware to the linksys
    >router and the XBOX adapter, so I know that can't be it.
    >
    > Thinking that maybe the MAC address on the bottom of the MN-740 was wrong
    > I tried it without filtering enabled and was able to connect. I know the
    > MAC address I have in my filter tables is fine because when the filtering
    > is off and the xbox is connecting I can see the mac address I used in the
    > DHCP list.
    >
    > Any ideas? I don't want to leave my network unsecured just to use this
    > wireless adapter. I know that WEP 128 is good.. but WEP 128 and a mac
    > filter is the better.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips,
    >
    > Lloyd Hannesson

    i struggled with this for a day or so... after some research on the
    subject i figured out what the problem was... to use mac filtering with
    the xbox wireless adapter you have to enter 3 mac addresses into the
    filter: the xbox itself (found in the wireless settings of the
    dashboard), and TWO from the adapter, the first is the mac address
    found on the bottom of the adapter.. this is the mac address of the
    wired portion of the adapter, the second address is the wireless
    portion of the adapter... this isnt listed anywhere on the adapter...
    you have to add 1 to the mac address of the wired... this is done by
    adding one to the very last digit (eg xxxxx75 would be xxxxxx76) and if
    its a letter you go to the next letter (eg xxxx7a would be xxxx7b)...
    also remember to disable UPnP on the router itself... this cleared up
    the probelm for me... as far as know this isnt listed anywhere on any
    xbox site or resource, obviously they didnt think it through very
    well...

    Lloyd Hannesson wrote:
    > I just picked up a MN-740 wireless adapter for my xbox and I have
    been
    > unable to get it working with my Linksys router when I have mac
    address
    > filtering turned on. I have applied the latest firmware to the
    linksys
    > router and the XBOX adapter, so I know that can't be it.
    >
    > Thinking that maybe the MAC address on the bottom of the MN-740 was
    > wrong I tried it without filtering enabled and was able to connect. I

    > know the MAC address I have in my filter tables is fine because when
    the
    > filtering is off and the xbox is connecting I can see the mac address
    > used in the DHCP list.
    >
    > Any ideas? I don't want to leave my network unsecured just to use
    this
    > wireless adapter. I know that WEP 128 is good.. but WEP 128 and a mac

    > filter is the better.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips,
    >
    > Lloyd Hannesson

Routers Linksys Mac Address Networking