Two hdd and windows 7 automatic updates

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Hi. I have two hdd's in my system. I have loaded windows 7 on one of them which is my primary hdd (250gb velociraptor wd). Now, i want everything else (apps, pics, music, etc) to be on the secondary hdd which is 2tb. I want just windows on the primary which is 250gb.

I want to tell my computer that when it does perform automatic updates for windows and windows' apps, to save them only on the primary, and every other update on the secondary (such as flash update, adobe update, antivirus update, gpu update, etc).

How do i do that?

Thanks.

Solution
Each update "program" uses a different directory to download updates. Some are downloaded into the "download" folder, others temporary folders within the user's directory. It sounds like a lot of work to direct each and every program to download to a specific folder....
Each update "program" uses a different directory to download updates. Some are downloaded into the "download" folder, others temporary folders within the user's directory. It sounds like a lot of work to direct each and every program to download to a specific folder....

Solution

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Thank you for this info. So I gather that if windows has been saved on the primary hdd and originally its files were saved on it, then all its automatic updates will be directed there from now on, correct?
Also, while windows was performing its updates after installaton, it somehow detected my gpu (gtx660) updated driver and placed its update in the primary folder.
Can I move that folder to my secondary hdd so that every future update for my gpu goes to that "directory" directly?
Thanks again.

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Yes. In terms of downloading stuff, I have no issue. I can direct to which hard drive they should be saved on.
I have the issue with those automatic updates. Snce my system is still failry fresh set up, I want to ensure that for example while I am installing Norton, it installs all its directories on the secondary hdd. How can i go about doing that?

zdbc13

Distinguished
For each program you want to load to the second hard drive you will have to direct the setup program to go there. Usually in advanced options. If the default is to load to c:\program files (x86) change the c: to d: (or whichever drive you have it set to) and proceed. The setup program will do the rest and updates will be made to the folder it is installed in.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I've heard of people running into weird issues when installing poorly coded programs after doing what you're trying to do. Just think you should be aware of it.

Also, another tip. Since you're using a fast mechanical drive for your OS and severely restricting usage of it, you could benefit from something called short stroking. It disables some of the storage space on the drive to reduce the number of sectors (increases IOP rate by reducing seek time) and keep data on the outside edges of the platters where rotational velocity is greatest (and thus increases throughput).

Basically, it's like afterburners for mechanical drives, but you pay for it in severely reduced capacity (typically you disable more than half the drive).