Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to start a 3D computer System in Feb 2012

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 20, 2012 10:27:15 PM

OK, I've spent 3 hours scanning this (and other) websites, and still haven't quite figured out the answers I'm looking for. If they're already there, may be I really AM just a n00less cluebie.....

So my current system is a Dell XPS 8300 with a ATI-AMD HD 5670 Display Adapter running Windows 7 64-bit. and an HP 2009m Monitor and a PLDS DVDRWBD DH-6E2S

Generally: I'd like to be playing games in 3D Stereovision, possibly watch 3D Blu-Rays and specifically play Skyrim, and so my questions are the following:

Given the above setup and a total budget of max $1000 more, hopefully less.

1) Can I Simply get a 3D Monitor/TV and just plug and play (and from what I've read so far, going the monitor route seems preferable as 1080P is simply not high-enough resolution to use as my everyday monitor at least, not via HDMI cables...)

2) Assuming I can't use my AMD graphics card, what combination of Card(s) + Monitor (or TV) + cables + other accessories (Nvidia 3d vision 2? AMD HD3D? etc) should I invest in to get the best bang for my buck--and can I still make use of my old graphics card for something?

Until then, I'll go back to my cyan and red glasses ;-)

a b C Monitor
February 22, 2012 11:34:26 AM

Well if you want Nvidia 3D Vision, there is no other solution than a Nvidia GeForce Video card, and for playing games like skyrim at high settings you will need minimum geforce 570 for 1080p gameplay, i have a 560 ti and i can play skyrim at 1080p in 3D Stereo but i need to lower some settings (besides the recommended ones) to get stable 30+ framerates.

for gaming at 1080p resolution you will need a true 120hz display, and you will have to plug in a Dual-Link Dvi Cable, normally comes with true 120hz displays, it is nothing more than a DVI cable using all the pins besides just the lateral ones.

Here you can see the 3D Vision Ready monitors available for now: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html

3D Vision 2 is good and the main point is the display with light boost, that gives you more bright on 3D and also less crosstalk (ghosting, common in 3D) so the 3D Glasses 2 are just size/weigh/sensor position differences, you can use a 3D Vision glasses 1 on a light boost screen for the same effect, and also can use 3d glasses 2 on a screen without light boost...

You also have the option of not going for Nvidia 3D Vision and use third party drivers, like DDD, Iz3d and Native 3D in some games.

There are few games that work properly in 3D but the 3D Effect is very impressive, most games aren't 3D vision ready and require reducing some graphics for a good 3D effect and the 3D is also impressive.

Basically if you are going for a third party solution you will need a 120 Hz monitor with their own glasses, and/or use 3d television but you will most likely lose resolution.

The best solution is going for Nvidia 3D Vision it is not cheap to buy a good video card/120hz display/glasses but if you are into 3D really worth it.

the cheapest solution is going for a passive display (cheap) and using nvidia 3DTV or third party drivers that will allow you to seeing 3D with the 3D Television glasses but i have a Sony Bravia 3D TV and a 120hz display with Nvidia 3D glasses 1 and i can tell that the difference between gaming on a proper 3D system is insane, the 3D effect with 3D Glasses and 120hz monitor besides the obvious 1080p you notice that the crosstalk is way lower,the depth is way better and also the performance with 3DTV was much worse than with the specific 3D monitor even just at 720p.
a c 99 C Monitor
February 22, 2012 2:50:00 PM

i will never understand why people get so worked up about current 3d technology.

people will spend hundreds of dollars...sometimes more on an effect that is best described as "sliding paper objects over paper objects". i've viewed pretty much every 3d display in stores and the effect is the same.

remember to also factor in the eye strain involved.

--

if you must use 3d...

you will need either the nvidia or ati software, compatible card and compatible display. this would most likely be a 120hz tn panel with dualdvi as stated prior.
Related resources
February 22, 2012 3:19:59 PM

ssddx said:
i will never understand why people get so worked up about current 3d technology.

people will spend hundreds of dollars...sometimes more on an effect that is best described as "sliding paper objects over paper objects". i've viewed pretty much every 3d display in stores and the effect is the same.

--

if you must use 3d...

you will need either the nvidia or ati software, compatible card and compatible display. this would most likely be a 120hz tn panel with dualdvi as stated prior.

Heh, I've been a fan of Stereovision since I used my first ViewMaster when I was 6...

OK, I got some help from the Graphics Card forum once I figured out how to phrase my question better....

It seems like the best choice GeForce card to use with my rig is the GTX 550 Ti with 2 Dual-Link DVI's which I can install without having to futz around with a new PSU. So now the question is what's the BEST 3D MONITOR to choose that gives me as good performance with the GTX 550 TI playing something like Skyrim will allow, WITHOUT having to pay for things that my GPU wouldn't be able to provide anyway.....
a b C Monitor
February 22, 2012 3:21:25 PM

ssddx said:

--

if you must use 3d...

this sliding paper effect is what they put on movies, to watch movies really don't worth it, but in gaming, the 3D effect is really another thing, games like civilization V makes you think that you are playing on a true board game on your desk, on fps/3rdperson games you can tell how strong will be the fall just by looking to a cliff, you really got the distance feelling, the extreme gpu needed for that is really costly, but if you can afford it you will see that 3D isn't just sliding paper, you lost your real world 3d perception, you don't know the true distance of the monitor, most likely if you try to point at something in the monitor you will put your finger throught it lol.

Best solution

a b C Monitor
February 22, 2012 4:21:14 PM

n00less cluebie said:
Heh, I've been a fan of Stereovision since I used my first ViewMaster when I was 6...

http://fusedfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/viewmaster_red_with_reel.jpg

OK, I got some help from the Graphics Card forum once I figured out how to phrase my question better....

It seems like the best choice GeForce card to use with my rig is the GTX 550 Ti with 2 Dual-Link DVI's which I can install without having to futz around with a new PSU. So now the question is what's the BEST 3D MONITOR to choose that gives me as good performance with the GTX 550 TI playing something like Skyrim will allow, WITHOUT having to pay for things that my GPU wouldn't be able to provide anyway.....

if you want 3d vision monitor you should pick one of those:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html

out of this list you will not be able to use with Nvidia 3D Vision.

You must see what you need 27"? 23"? i think for a 550ti you will not get good frames at 1080p but you can go for a 1080p because you will have the possibility to GO for 1080p so with light games and when not in 3D you will be able to play at a good resolution.

for 3D Vision 2 you have:
ASUS VG278H
or
BenQ XL2420T/BenQ XL2420TX (difference of those 2 is that TX comes with glasses and the emitter is inside the display itself)

Otherwise you can take any other on that list, there isn't a good variety of monitors, you must see what you can find close to you for a good price.

if i had the opportunity i would have taken xl2420t but there is just no way i can buy one of those where i live for now that is why i got xl2410t (3d vision 1).

I have never used Benq Products but now i know the monitor is great for gaming, the only cons i see is backlight bleeding (normal on led screens [what is also a pro]), other problem is that you need to customize color a little because the default ones aren't good, but if you take 2420t i think they have optimized that, i recommend Benq Xl2420t (at least i would go for it)
a c 99 C Monitor
February 22, 2012 4:59:40 PM

@op

i remember those viewmaster glasses! i had one as a kid. i havent seen one for....quite awhile.

@op @ricardois

true. i've only actually been able to test out 3d movie footage. retail stores do not exactly have 3d gaming setups on display. i assumed without looking it up that things would be the same (or at least similar enough).

i suppose i will have to look into this myself. perhaps microcenter has a setup. i know they have one of those triple-screen panorama monitors so 3d isnt far fetched.

@ricardois

not all led backlit screens have backlight bleed. i know of quite a few that do not.

@op

if you plan on using this screen for things other than gaming (2d mode in windows for example) i wouldnt go with anything that has less than a 1920x1080 2d mode.
February 22, 2012 10:48:24 PM

Best answer selected by n00less cluebie.
February 22, 2012 11:00:53 PM

Ty Ricardois! You're 2-for-2 in addressing both my GPU and Monitor Questions. as well as ssddx for your input!

I think I'm gonna go with the

GTX 550 TI

and the

ASUS VG278H which has the nvidia 3D Vision 2 already included.

So the damage should be somewhere on the order of $750.

Now the REALLY difficult question, HOW DO I EXPLAIN THIS TO MY WIFE????

Will post the results of the setup when it's been purchased and installed....
a c 99 C Monitor
February 23, 2012 10:23:17 AM

you know what they say...

its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!!!
!