Installing CPU question

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Hi, when i bought my processor, all i recieved is the cpu and the heatsink and fan, and that was about it. I just wondering was there suppost to be more. The reason i ask this is that i think in toms hardware i seen that they inject some white meterial on tom of the cpu and than they put the heatsink and fan on top of it. Just wanted to know is that something extra or was that suppost to come with the intel cpu.

The thermal pad will already be on the bottom of the heatsink, ready to install. It is designed to be used only one time. If you ever have to remove the heatsink, you'll have to scrape off the old thermal material, and apply a very thin coat of thermal paste on the cpu heatspreader.

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
ooh, i see, i think i see that on the bottom of the heatsink, it's kind of yellowish or red, i'm not sure of the color, but it's not white, i guess its the same. or is it?

NO that's the copper base. The thermal pad is gray, and should cover most of the copper.

(\__/)
(='.'=) <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A>
(")_(")

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thermal interface material is like paste, only much stiffer. Rather than make it pasty, they make it gummy, and heat softens it to make the CPU settle into it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Well, i installed my cpu and than i remove the heatsink because i needed to do other stuff. But the computer is never been turned on, and the cpu as never been powered on. But some of the thermal stuff, or gluey stuff some of it ripped a little but most of it was on the heat sink and a little piece is on the cpu, do you think it's still good for use?

thank you.

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
nah, wipe it off with 99% isopropyl alcohol and cotton and get some new paste from a computer store. Artic silver is a good one.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it's fine. The stuff is kind of like liquid paper (pun), when it gets hot it will flow together.

I've reused thermal compound on at least a hundred systems with no ill effects to the system (although the idea has caused some ill effects on other technicians).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, they flow kind of like silly putty, when they get warm. Really. And if you don't know about silly putty flowing, lay a ball of it on your table and wait a few hours.

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I think you right. I remember when i unhooked my intel celeron 1.7ghz that it had it, and it was soft. this of course was after it was powered on and used. On the other hand my intel pentium 3.4 ghz right now, has never been used or powered on, so i guess it should be fine like many said.

thank you all for the reply.

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Hi, it looks like i'm going to have to change my thermal interface because i have taken out the cpu about 3 times or so for dubging, and the thermal interface has decreased. so i called the local store and they said they have two types of thermal interface, one was regular as they said, and the other was i believe he said silver. Which one should i get? also would i be needing that achole to scrap out the old thermal interface? thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Silver is a little better, but not much. I quit using it because the difference wasn't worth the price.

endyen

Splendid
Yes, you need the alcohol, to clean the heat sink. First use a blunt knife to scrape as much of the old goop off.
I'd use the artic silver, it's only a few cents more per use.

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
when you apply the thermal interface, i'm guessing you would apply it to the heatsink first not to the cpu, right? Also the seller said that if i don't know what i'm doing, i could mess up the computer, what is he talking about, does he mean if i add too much thermal interface, that it might leak to the motherboard? also, what about this alcohol, do i need it to wipe the old thermal interface, or could i just use anything to wipe it out, like a rag? i am very sorry to bother you with all of these question, :). thank you.

endyen

Splendid
Scrape first. Alcohol is a solvent. If you try to use it on that large a pad, it will just make it sticky.
What ever you do though, do not scratch the hsf. That will impact it's thermal conductivity.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use alcohol for the cleanest results, I just use a rag :smile: Just dab a thin layer of paste on the CPU die or the metal heat spreader, and squish it down with the cooler. A thin layer allows a little to squish out without having it get all over everything.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm a nerd. I used (dry) disposable lens wipes as a cloth (since I have glasses, I had a bunch to spare).

And because I was ordering an expensive HSF (and AS5 ... and stuff) at the time, I also broke down and threw into that order the Arctic Clean kit to use as the solvent. (Well, that and the only rubbing alcohol I could find at local shops was only 70%.)<pre><font color=orange> ∩_∩
Ω Ω
(=¥=)</font color=orange> - Cedrik says that Arctic Clean is chok full of citrusy goodness.<font color=orange>
_Ū˘Ū_</font color=orange></pre><p> :evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!

tiger102

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I think i'll just use the rag to wipe out the old thermal interface. i'm not experienced with the acohol stuff, so i'll do it the simple way. thanks alot all.