REAL OLD CHEAP setup

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Just looking to SLIGHTLY upgrade an ancient rig we have sitting around. It now has a P3 500MHz CPU with 128MB old a$$ RAM and a nearly broke mobo. (Secondary IDE connection doesn't work at all) Looking to replace all that, but no more. We'll reuse the case and optical drives. We also have an extra 7200RPM HDD laying around to throw in there. The rig will be used for all kinds of stuff, so nothing specific. But here's the kicker.... we're not looking to spend much money at all. About 60 bucks TOPS for CPU, MOBO and RAM. Obviously used gear is the way to go with this. Ebay will no doubt be our friend. Maybe an old OC'ing champ that's now outdated will be good for us? Any recommendations or links would be great. Thanks!

AMD XP 3200+ (Barton Core)
Asus A7N8X Ver2.0
2 X 512MB Mushkin (2.5-3-3)
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO w/AC Rev3<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by firebirdude on 09/10/05 08:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Then he needs a slap. But I'm sure he's not as cheap as you.

(\__/)
(='.'=) <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A>
(")_(")

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
what mobo is it? the old cele's (socket 370) are extemely easy to overclock becuase of the low fsb, and high multiplier.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
I have a job thanks. In fact, funny you should mention that. This PC IS at my work. We all have decent PCs at my work place, but figured maybe three of us could chip in 20 bucks and make this thing 2 or 3 times as quick.... it might be worth it. But if we have to spend any more then that, we'll throw the damn thing in the trash. Don't really need it anyway. It's an OLD Dell. I don't see any companies on the mobo other then Intel, so I assume..... and maybe E139761 is the model number? It's not labeled very well... neither is the RAM....I can only guess and say it's about/atleast 10 years old.

Asus A7N8X Ver2.0
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO w/AC Rev3

Haha, I was only jossin' with you.

Yes, I said jossin', it is the new best word ever.

(\__/)
(='.'=) <A HREF="http://snipurl.com/fxwr" target="_new">Welcome to the House of Horrors, welcome to the House of a 1000 Corpses</A>
(")_(")

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
the dells ive dealed with had propitary power supplies and power connectors just to let you know. do you know the model number of the computer itself?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell Dimension ATX towers from that erra used NON-STANDARD power supplies. If you look at the board itself, you'll see several solder spots next to the connector, that's because Intel made TWO versions of the same board, one for Dell and one for other customers.

The Dell version has the power pins offset by THREE ROWS to remove the 3.3v line and put it on another connector. That means even though an ATX board will fit, you'll likely BLOW IT UP by plugging in the power supply.

The extra connector LOOKS like an ATX supplemental power connector (used in Servers and some workstations), but it's not standard either, it's just the 3.3v lines.

So you get a board, everything fits, you power up, and KAPOW. Dell tells you "The parts you used did not meet Dell's quality standards".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
With $60 you might as well throw the thing out and buy a couple pitchers instead.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Now why didn't I think of that? The case has the label "Dell Deminsion XPS T500". And upon further inspection, I DO see the solder spots and seperate power plug. And what does it say on the mobo next to the plug? Oh, 3V.... damn you guys are good.:) Well, I personally have an extra ATX power supply. But I'm not sure I want to donate it to my work. May come in handy if my PS bites the dust and I need a backup. I bet I could find one on Ebay for little of nothing. Maybe 10 bucks shipped huh? Or maybe we could snag an entire system off Ebay for 60 bucks? This is almost turning into more of a hassel then it's worth. What do you guys think?

Asus A7N8X Ver2.0
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO w/AC Rev3