honsbeekgmail

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Hi ,

OK no bullshitting , what should I do ,

I can sell my P4 3.0 (e) for about 170 USD and I can Buy a P4 630 for 177 USD !!! Should I do this ???
Is the future LGA775 ???? I saw some pretty nice aftermarket coolers for a LGA 775 socket.

The reason why I keep bugging you guys is because on my current system , I am running a shitty VGA card (Radeon 7500 64mb) and I need an upgrade. But I want to go for PCI express now (thought about a ATI X 800GT) an my board and cpu won't match it (board = asusp4p800se and p4 3.0 prescott 478) ... Is the newer _64 pentium series really faster and better??? I have no idea who to ask about this.
People keep telling me they get very hot way to quickly , but does a 2 mb L cache really boost up my system, if I switch a new VGA card at the same time...

Or should I just stick to my board and CPU and just find a better graphics card on AGP and leave it at that???

Please advise ,

thank you so much
Ralph

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could of course get a PCI-Express Socket 478 board. I think there are two on the market. Then you could keep your old RAM as well as your old CPU.

Or you could get an AGP card and save even more money.

I don't think Socket 775 has much more than a year left in it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best motherboard I own is a 775 motherboard. Sad, no?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, well, AMD doesn't make a Socket 775 CPU.

morbidangel

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
I would do the upgrade now, at least you can be somewhat future proof, get a AMD 939 pin for dual core down the road. A Mother Board with sli, sata and PCIe.
some raptors and a 7800 gt or two.
If your not doing any really crazy pc gaming with your rig a 3ghz pentium should be fine with a 6800 gt agp, but then again if you do you will have to get a completly new rig in the next year or so because it seems the 6800 will be the last of the new agp cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
nVidia's southbridge supports 4 PATA drives, most of Intel's only support 2.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, I know ULi and ATI components work together, but I think that's just about it...although an SLI board with a ULi AGP southbridge would be interesting.