Sign in with
Your question

Changing partition size

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2012 2:17:00 PM

Hello,
Gparted live is supposed to change a partition size?

Curiously, using Gparted Live, trying to resize an Xp os partition before installing win7 early Dec., gparted live and other partitioning software would not alter the size of the OS partition. The partition is only 23GB and it appears Win7 would do better on a larger partition. Can you suggest how I can increase the partition size?

Wipe the partition and resize then reinstall?
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 2:22:30 PM

what is the size or your hdd ,the xp use how may of it and what is left to win 7 ?you could try this free one home edtition to resize your drive but maybe you will have to erase the win 7 one before http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/
January 3, 2013 1:49:39 PM

scout_03 said:
what is the size or your hdd ,the xp use how may of it and what is left to win 7 ?you could try this free one home edtition to resize your drive but maybe you will have to erase the win 7 one before http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/

Thanks for your response.
Originally partiioned 500GB Hd with 23GB boot partition for XP, extended partition of 471+GB, had a small boot partition
for another Os.
Using any partition program, shows small partition(1GB) Boot partiton(23GB) and the remaining extended partition. Resize shows 0gb ahead and 0gb behind the boot partition.
So it appears that the drive needs to be unallocated in order to change the size of the boot partition.( Trying to increase the boot partition to about 40gb. for win7).

Thanks again for responding.
Related resources
January 3, 2013 3:18:53 PM

Can´t you do that in Win7? (increase Volume)
Is the rest of the 500GB free ntfs formatted space?
January 3, 2013 7:16:08 PM

helpstar said:

Hmm not up to speed on win7. Will look thru the Hd handling info and try to resize the drive.

Thank you again, you're help is appreciated!
January 4, 2013 12:18:33 AM

helpstar said:

After attempting to create space adjacent to the OS Boot partition, the maximum partition I can create is about 25GB, since the balance of the HD is in logical drive form.

If you have an idea of how to increase(extend - that property is grayed for the partition, but shrink is active) I'd appreciate knowing how. As I see it, I can wipe the drive and create partitions aNew, otherwise there appears to be no way to increase the OS Boot partition size.

Thanks again.
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 2:12:26 AM

do you have data on the other partion after the win 7 one,if not delete that other partition and reseze the win 7 one with the free space.
!