JBarnes74

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
This is my first time attempting to build a PC. It will primarly be a gamer. I did some research but not to much so if you would take a look at what I have here and let me know what I can change to make it better and maybe even save a few dollars. The case is missing because I intend on going with a water cooled system just haven't looked into which one I want yet. Thanks for your input!

GIGABYTE GA-K8NXP-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

ASUS K8N4-E DELUXE Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AOpen 91.05210.45H Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

SEASONIC S12-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3400AXBOX - Retail

GeIL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model GE2GB3200BDC - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3400832A-RK 400GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Retail

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/WishDetail.asp?position=HISTORY&ID=1669620&WishListTitle=First+Timer

endyen

Splendid
A little info for you.
1 the "secure" in the newegg adress means we cant see it
2 I'm sure you know that that chip wont fit on the gigabyte board.
3 S754 is older tech. It may be right for you, if you dont OC, and you dont plan on replacing the chip in a year or two.
4 The s939 venice core chips are better because they have better memory controler, SSE3 support ( okay so that's not a big deal ), and come on 90 nano tech, that runs cooler, and is a little better developed.
5 IMNSHO the X800XL is a better gfx card, but check with the guys in the graphics forum, they know better than me.
6 Come to think of it, I dont much like seasonic or Aopen much either.
7 I'm not usually this negative, is it true that men can get pms to?

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
the x800xl isnt better is about equal except that it doesnt have SM3.0, This is a big deal because there are already SM3.0 games out and they dont look as good on 2.0 as they do on 3.0

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

JBarnes74

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Well thanks for the little bit of help! But I guess I should just start off with this question for this board. What is the best bang for my buck for a gamer cpu? Please give me a little more info about what one to look at I haven't quiet figured out the numbers jargon yet. BTW I did have the right cpu for that board but then changed it and the board but I guess it being so late by the time I got off of here I was a little delirious! Thanks again...

This is a big deal because there are already SM3.0 games out and they dont look as good on 2.0 as they do on 3.0

So far as I know, Far Cry is the only game that supports it and it doesn't make as much difference as some would have you believe.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Look @ some screenies of the AOE3 demo. There is a HUGE diff between 2 and 3. Its not that SM2.0 cards cant do the same thing with 2.0b but nvidia is making developers program better looking content for 3.0
There will be a lot more games like this released soon.
Oh and just for the record i have an x800xl so its not like i'm spouting bs here.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

endyen

Splendid
If you do not plan on OCing, or upgrading the chip, get the s754 setup. Check with the graphics forum about gfx cards, they know better than the guys here.
I would recommend a fortron source or enermax psu over the seasonic.
Since the s754 boards do not have dual channel, a single 1 gigabyte stick of ram would be fine.