Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes when reading CD's please help!

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2005 4:48:20 AM

My brothers computer has a lite-on 52x24x52 CD burner and anytime I try to put any kind of CD in there the system freezes and can't open any programs, but as soon as I open the drive anything that I tried to open up comes up like there was no problem. What would cause CD's to freeze the computer? I have already updated the firmware and the BIOS of the M/B. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do to fix this? Thanks for any help.

His system:
Abit NF7-S v2.0
Athlon XP 2500
Radeon 9800 Pro
512MB (2x256MB) Corsair 3200c2pt
WD Caviar edition 80GB
Lite-On 52x24x52
Thermaltake Purepower 420W PSU
September 14, 2005 4:56:56 AM

I forgot to add that he also has a 52X CD ROM drive in there and it does the same thing when a CD is put in. Is it possible that the computer needs a fresh install or new drives?
September 14, 2005 5:56:23 AM

First thing to check is that the drives are properly recognized as slave, and or master. You may have to change the jumpers on the back of the drives.
If that is fine, download the latest ide drivers from the mobo maker.
Related resources
September 14, 2005 12:48:58 PM

And if that doesn't work, try checking the voltages of your PSU. It's possible that when the drive spins up it starts consuming just enough power to make the system unstable.

Though I more think as endyen said, that it's probably the slave/master jumpers. I've seen that happen before where the drives can be recognized in BIOS, but then don't asctually work right. And if not that, then maybe the drivers.

If it were just one drive I might also suggest to try flashing the drive's firmware to the latest version, but since two drives are doing the same thing, then chances are it's not that.

Actually, upon reflection, you might also want to just set the jumpers to either singe/master or cable select and try running with just one drive first. That'll tell you if it's a jumper/cable problem or not. If one drive by itself won't play nicely, the problem is elsewhere.

:evil:  یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil: 
<font color=red><i>Deal with the Devil. He buys in bulk.</i></font color=red>
@ 197K of 200K!
September 14, 2005 3:05:53 PM

I would try and disconnect the burner and just use the 52x cd-rom and try and recreate the problem. If the problem doesn't exist its the drive itself. If the problem persist try a known good IDE cable. If the problem continues check into a PSU that you know works and try that and recreate the problem with the 52x cd-rom with the cd-burner still disconnected.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
September 14, 2005 4:38:02 PM

you also might check in device manager and make sure the controller that the cd roms are hooked to isnt running in pio mode. I had a similar problem a while back. Put cd in try to copy or do anything would take forever and make the computer act like it was locking up.
September 15, 2005 12:58:58 AM

U talking about checking the IDE controller?
September 15, 2005 1:21:17 PM

Quote:
if the slave and master jumpers were the problem the system wouldn't see it.

You would think that is the case, but I've personally seen cases where that isn't true. **shrug** So I wouldn't count it out.

:evil:  یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil: 
<font color=red><i>Deal with the Devil. He buys in bulk.</i></font color=red>
@ 197K of 200K!
September 15, 2005 11:00:49 PM

The jumpers have the right settings so I got a call into my Bro. to have him try the other steps. Thanks for the help guys. I will post back with the results once he gives me a call.
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2005 2:53:02 AM

I've seen systems configure one of two drives when both were set to master, but neither drive worked.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 16, 2005 4:09:03 AM

Crash, do you have any different input on what is causing the problem, or do you agree with what has already been suggested?
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2005 4:55:10 AM

I've seen a few things cause the issue, the first thing I'd try is removing one of the CD drives. If the other works, reverse that. If both work alone, figure out why they won't work together.

Of course I'd only do that after first checking the Master/Slave assignments.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!