Windows Freezing but no BSOD

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I finally have my new system up and running, the problem is, it seems to randomly freeze - mouse locks up, keyboard can do nothing, but there is no BSOD, the page I am on (whether it be desktop or internet) just stays frozen.

Added to this, I cannot install anymore windows updates - the first bunch were installed fine, but the 8 remaining all fail with error (800D0100 or something like that -at work so cannot see)

Oddly, the freezing seems to happen when at desktop, internet or even when windows is loading - once I am in a game and playing I seem to go without any problems.

Finally, I had issues installing the latest ATI drivers (10.3) the display drivers would not install and I had to use the 10.2.

I have a sneaky suspicion my Video card may be involved in the freezing issues - I always kept away from ATI in the past, this is the first time I have used one in a long time and it already having given me issues with downloading its display drivers has me wary.

My system is

MSI P55-CD53
Intel i5-750
ATI 5850 GPU
2 x 2gig 1600Mhz RAM
Sony Dual Layer DVD Drive
500Gb Hard drive
750W Powercool PC750UM, Modular
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Any advice that can be given is greatly appreciated.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Ran scan disk and did the sfc / scannow now. No issues. I have had a couple of freezes in games, but this is far less frequent than the freezing that occurs either starting windows, shutting windows down, browsing the internet, even doing nothing

G

I have the exact same problem!! Pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is causing it. Gaming no problem, but always crashes in windows. It must be hardware related though as I managed to get it to crash in the BIOS set up yesterday as well.

G

PS, I'm runnning:

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
Intel Q9550 (333 x 8.5)
OCZ 2 x 2GB DDR3 (1600 mhz running at 1333, 8-8-8-24)
ASUS Nvidia GTX470
1TB Samsung + 320GB Seagate SATA2 HDDs
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

When I take one of the memory modules out, I notice I get far less frequent crashes.. however it will still happen sooner or later.

Strange how I can play BF BC2 for hours with no problem but downloading files is a problem. I think it's gotta be either memory or HDD related.

cjrodwell

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
No errors, I've replaced the mobo now as well... I have discovered it only happens when the room temperature gets up > 25deg. I am leaning towards the fact it is the GTX470.. The temperature of the GPU is well within limits when it crashes, but I think it may be faulty. Going to try and RMA it shortly I think.

sptmaster

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I have this problem as well.

ATI HD 5770 (tried 2 other cards as well, same problem)
Corsair TX650W PSU (replaced old PSU with this, same problem)
intel core i5-750 processor (2.66 ghz)
6 GB (3 2gb sticks) DDR3 1333mhz ram

My computer will freeze randomly (no BSOD, just freezes on the last frame, sound SOMETIMES hangs).. It seems to happen the most when playing Starcraft 2 or Modern Warfare 2.... WoW seems to run fine most the time, but will occasionally freeze. I never freeze unless I'm playing a game though.

I stress tested my CPU/RAM with Prime95 and had no problems.

I can run Furmark for an hour with no problems.

CPU/GPU/Case temps are all fine.. Everything is well cooled in fact.

I have NO IDEA what could be causing this, it seems like i've checked almost everything. OS is Windows 7 64 bit also.

G

I had a similar problem with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Random freezes, at first the mouse and keyboard stopped responding, then the audio started repeating and then everything froze.

It took me a while to troubleshoot, but I finally found out that it froze when BOINC tried to connect to the net. Evidently that triggered something with my firewall (COMODO Internet Security). Instead of popping up an alert, the whole system froze.

That hasn't happened at all since I uninstalled BOINC months ago. So it's not necessarily a hardware problem, check your software if you can't find anything wrong with the hardware.