Establish boot sector on new SSD

lesizz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Running home premium on HP desktop.

I installed an SSD and installed W7 on it. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to remove the old HDD first, and the W7 install kept the boot sector on the old HDD.

Now of course when I remove the old HDD the system won't boot. I tried doing a repair with the W7 install disc. It does say it's repairing, but after many restarts there is still no boot sector on the SSD.

So now I re-installed the old drive, but I eventually want to remove it.

One additional thing that might help the diagnosis: On bootup I am presented with two W7 boot options. If I select the second W7 it comes back with "Windows failed to start" and then goes on to instruct me to reboot with the W7 disk and select "repair". But as I stated, I already tried that and it didn't work.

I spent many hours setting up my W7 environment on the new drive, and I'd really like to fix this problem without doing a fresh re-install of W7.

How can I do that?

lesizz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

So, I did the FixMBR and that replied that it fixed. Then I tried booting W7, still wouldn't go.

So I tried the FixBoot, and it replied "Element not found"
This was in directory x:\sources>

So I used my ancient DOS skills to get to x:\ and entered FixBoot there, but got the same answer, "Element not found"

I checked out that MS article and scavenged around the MS site but couldn't come up with a fix to this.

Any suggestions from here?