Mobo overvolting & different cpu vcore readings?

G

I just recently built a new system with an Athlon 64 2800+. The normal Vcore is 1.5V as indicated by the BIOS (default). But using Everest & CPU-z, it says my cpu Vcore voltage is around 1.53V-1.57V jumping back and forth. But shouldn't it be less than 1.5V? I had a P4 which Vcore's also 1.5V, but it was usually shown up as 1.47V-1.49V. But then again I guess it's okay for this Athlon?

Here's what I usually notice in CPU-Z. My multiplier is at 9x and my voltage is usually around 1.55V or so (this is when Cool'n'Quiet off. I never had it on either). Only when it is with C'n'Q turned on, then it will drop to 1.13V or so because of the technology used. But without it, I guess my board seems to be overvolting a little bit. Is this bad? It's a new system and I'm beginning to get worried.

endyen

Splendid
It's no big, it just makes the chip run a little hotter. I would be fine with that, since I overclock.
What kind of psu and mobo are you using?
At any rate, you could just adjust the v-core in bios until it's a little closer to stock.

G

My motherboard is an Abit NF8 with the latest BIOS. I also have an Antec SP2.0 450W PSU. Unfortunately, my BIOS options only allows to set my vcore voltage HIGHER than default (1.5V). It's already at 1.5V. I can only set it higher ie 1.525V, 1.550, etc... I wish I could go lower, heh.

endyen

Splendid
Okay then, this is what I think. You are measuring the voltage under no load, What you are seeing, is filter effect. The 2800 does not use a lot of current, esp at idle. The motherboard, on the other hand was designed to supply a whole lot of current, and has heavy duty caps and toroids. At idle, your chip doesn't suck enough juice to cover normal drawdown on the pi filter. On the other hand, once you get busy, the chip will use enough power to bring the voltsge in line.
On the other hand, even if the mobo is always pumping a little extra voltage to the chip, that small an amount is not a big deal. It may even help keep the chip stable.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's <font color=green><b>gremlins</b></font color=green>. They've climbed into your computer. The only solution is to either buy some gremlin repellant and spay your computer down with it, or to duct-tape every last vent and fan duct so that they suffocate.

(Or if you're based in that quaint place called reality, it's just fairly common that voltages aren't always right on their mark, especially when the mobo is involved. There's nothing to worry about.)

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!

G

Ah, alright... do you know why it does this then? I am just confused why the BIOS states 1.5V, but it's always higher (as indicated by Everest/CPU-z)... Unlike my P4. :/

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Plus there are often minor differences between what you set something to and what it's actually at. Consider a setting a theoretical value and the reading the real-world value based on what your hardware can actually achieve. (And that's not even counting when mobo manus intentionally up things slightly from what you set in BIOS so that your system is more stable.) Besides, a lot of sensors are also cheap and thus far from a 100% accuracy.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!