chkdsk deleted - XP won't start

Speedfreak

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Morning one and all.

I've been playing around resizing and moving partitions over the weekend and I've run head on into a brick wall.

I have XP pro and Win98 installed. I do most things in XP, but I use 98 for video editing. I decided I needed more space on the 98 partitions so I booted into XP and used Partition Magic V7 to resize them.

PM halted about 90% throught the process telling me there was a problem with one of the 98 partitions.

Now this is where Johnny had a hic-up - a BIG HIC-UP.

I did have a 98 boot disk, but this disk didn't have chkdsk on it - so I went into explorer windows>system32, right clicked on chkdsk - and instead of copying and then pasting to the floppy, I selected Send-to and sent it to the floppy.

I then rebooted with the 98 disk in and tried to run chkdsk from the a: for the 98 C drive. Of course I got the 'cannot run from DOS' message. So I slammed my head on the desk a couple of times and rebooted without the 98 disk - to boot XP.

And this is where my world crashes......

XP tells me it can't find chkdsk.....and hangs. No matter what I try I can't get any further. I can't start in safe mode, or safe mode command prompt. I've tried using the Recovery option when booting of the XP CDROM, but no joy there either.

I assume the 'Send to' command actually 'moved' rather than 'copied' the chkdsk file.

Now I'm shafted.

Can anyone help........please.................PLEASE!

Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - irritated wives are!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
pm me with your email addy and I will send it to you

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?lagger" target="_new"> All Nude Female Jello® Wrestling RuleZ!</A>

Speedfreak

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Thanks for trying to help guys, but maybe I didn't make my problem totally clear.

I CANNOT GET INTO XP

I CANNOT BOOT TO A COMMAND PROMPT

I CAN BOOT INTO 98, BUT AS MY XP PARTITIONS ARE NTFS 98 CAN'T SEE THEM.

SAFE MODE DOESN'T WORK.

SAFE MODE COMMAND PROMPT DOESN'T WORK

BOOTING XP CDROM AND TRYING ASR DOESN'T WORK

If I could get to a command prompt then my problems would be solved, but I can't. I don't see any other option than reinstalling XP. I just thought I'd give it a go here first.

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - irritated wives are!