Sign in with
Your question

Casual Gaming Laptop Help!

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 13, 2010 8:15:24 PM

Hi all, this is my first post - Have been using the site for a while. Such a great help so thanks to all who put it their time - its much appreciated.
Im looking into getting myself a laptop so using this FAQ form:

1. What is your budget? £400 - £550

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Happy with 15" - 17.3", would prefer 17.3" but not a deal breaker

3. What screen resolution do you want? Not too bothered

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement - Will only be taking to a friends house or using at home so portability is not an issue.

5. How much battery life do you need? Not bothered - will be plugged in all the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
This is my main concern and the reason im asking for help!. Basically i want to be able to play games on it. Doesnt have to be ultra high or even high settings but i would like to get at least playable medium settings on games like COD Black Ops & MW2, F1 2010.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Surfing net, BBC iplayer, watching movies (I dont want blu ray though). I also would like to be able to hook it up to my 40" Sony HD TV so i can play TV episodes and films off my Hard drive

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 250gb +

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Im from Essex, UK, so happy to go to the normal PC suppliers (PCworld etc.) Or can buy online from Dell, ebuyer, overclockers,amazon etc. As long as its not ebay or some dodgy site im happy.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 years would be cool

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM is sufficent

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Had a Dell desktop for a couple of years and been happy with the quality of that but i would consider other makes so no strong preference.

13. What country do you live in? UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I have a Gaming Desktop which will remain my main computer. The reasons for wanting this laptop are firstly so i can have a laugh over a mates house with the odd game, and then for the reason i mentioned above

Think that covers it so thanks for looking!

Cheers

Chris

More about : casual gaming laptop

a c 244 D Laptop
October 14, 2010 5:57:38 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Unfortunately,within your budget you can't find any laptops that can handle those games fine even on medium settings,so you have to raise your budget if you want to find a decent gaming laptop.
October 14, 2010 7:32:50 AM

As maz said, that's far too low a budget for a laptop.

why are you after a laptop though? if you expect to leave it plugged in, and not to take it anywhere, why pay extra for limited hardware?

with that budget you can build a fairly decent desktop. and you could always go with a small form factor case like the dragonslayer or scout, so you are still able to easily take it to friends houses.
!