Weird Game Crash

Smoke_show

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Ok first problems then system specs. I play a lot of Dayz and Arma 2. I have had no issues in the past what so ever with this pc. Starting about a week ago when I was playing, I will start playing DayZ and everything will have color except for my player. I mean he is totally white. All the clothes and what not are colorless. but the surroundings are fine. It lags while this happens as well. Then slowly but surely I will regain color on my character. My second problem is that during game play out of no where I will get insane graphic glitches, then the game crashes. It is totally random time wise. Once I am at my desktop, after I have opened task manager to close out DayZ, everything Windows related works fine. Any programs that I installed that did not come as part of the Windows OS doesn't. If I try to open them there are errors. And whatever is open on my task bar if I scroll over the icon the writing is all different fonts than what it should be as well different colors. Every program that I had open while running this game crashes as well. Usually Skype and Firefox. I have tried playing without those programs open, still happens. I have to restart computer for anything to open again. After crash it just says whatever programs I am running are not responding. Any ideas please by all means.....if its the GPU I will replace it but I am a tight budget right now so would like other options first please.

Things I have looked at so far:
1. Heat-not a problem, never goes over 55c(I have used Coretemp and my Bios as a reference)
2. I have lowered my graphics settings to low-no difference
3. Downloaded WhoCrashed- Afterwards nothing is reported as having crashed.
4. Cleaned my tower very well.
5. Updated to the newest drivers for my graphics card-no difference.

Ok system:
AMD Phenom II X4 980 @ 3.8 GHz-Not OC
16 G Ram
ULTRA 650W PSU
AMD HIS HD 6850 1GB GPU-Not OC
Asus M5897 motherboard
500 Gig Hardrive-(Cant remember name)
ASUS 24x DVD Drive

I have also bench marked this computer multiple times and it has not crashed. I did a clean install of the games again and nothing. Tryed another game and same thing after little bit it crashes and everything on my desktop is frozen again but windows OS programs.

steven1495

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
I have the EXACT same problem as you, just started happening after I downloaded the 310.90 driver for my GTX 550 ti. I downgraded to the 310.70 driver, that didn't work either. This is kind of a late reply, so have you figured out a solution yet?

The glitches you're experiencing in game are called artifacting. It is typically a sign of the GPU going out or not getting enough power. Here are a few things to try:

1. Take the side of your case off and plug your computer back in (do not touch anything)
2. Start up your computer and launch the game or programs having issues
3. When the lockup or problems happen, take a look at your GPU (your graphics card) and see if the fan(s) are spinning during this time frame. (That GPU either has one or two fans on it if I remember correctly)
4. If they are not spinning, the bearings may be trying to go out in the fans and is causing the issues altogether.
5. If they are spinning, download GPU-Z, found HERE , and HWMonitor, found HERE , and watch the temperatures in your system and see if you notice a spike. I know you said that your BIOS and CoreTemp are running cool but if it's failing it could be screwing with the sensors.
6. You may also want to use HWMonitor to capture a series of time and try to recreate the issue and see if something stands out.