Sign in with
Your question

HDD and SDD install

Last response: in Windows 7
December 27, 2012 5:57:42 PM

Hi. I'm a couple of hours away from installing Windows 7 on my brand new home-built computer. I am using a 1TB HDD (where I want mostly everything), and a 64GB SSD for Windows 7 as a boot disk. Obviously, I want my user files and program files to be put on the HDD.

I am already aware as to how to install Windows 7 on the SSD only; Start with the HDD unplugged, turn it on ACHI mode, install Windows, then plug in the hard drive. Now, here's my question. I want my user files (since they take up all the room), and program files to default to install to the HDD. How do I do this? I've found an article that I believe will help me fix the user files problem (http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2009/05/how-to-...), but I am yet to find a place to fix that for the program files.

I don't want to totally hack my system, and doing what is done in the article I posted is about as far "hackish" as I want to go (going into my registry settings is pretty close to 'my line'). Anyway, could anybody help me with this? I know I could simply "browse" to a different location every time, but I'd love to find a way to avoid that.

Thanks!

More about : hdd sdd install

December 27, 2012 7:10:12 PM

Here is how you can change the default location of Program Files and Program Files(x86). Be sure to do this right after Windows installation because it will change the locations of all the shortcuts that Windows creates to the new location. Any applications Windows installs during installation will be on your OS disk (usually C:\Program Files) such as Media Player, IE8, etc. You just have to make new (or edit) shortcuts to point back to C: drive.

http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installation-directory-in-windows-7-vista/

If you don't feel like messing with the registry, you can leave it the way it is and just make sure you change the installation path of any newly installed software.
December 27, 2012 7:17:09 PM

Okay - so what I think I'm going to do is, in addition to all of the things I listed in my original post, I'll copy window's created "Program Files" folders to the new drive, change the registry's default to that location, and then edit the shortcuts on the desktop and start menu to point to the other drive. Is this correct?
December 27, 2012 7:35:39 PM

You can try it that way. You have the directories named exactly the same on the HDD and in the registry. If it copies fine (don't delete the directories on C: as it might not work) you should be able to leave the shortcuts as is because Windows will change all of them when you edit the registry. I just did it for Program Files and Program Files (x86).
!