Getting a new monitor today or tomorrow...

Swerrdy

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I have been putting off upgrading my monitor for a while now.
I am currently using a Viewsonic VA1912wb ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116373 ).

I would like to get a nicer monitor for gaming on as this one has a max resolution of 1440x900 which isn't even a challenge for my setup right now. I would then use the new monitor as my main and use the viewsonic as the secondary monitor in a dual setup.

I see deals all the time for monitors but I don't really know what I should be looking for.
I guess the basline specs I want are these,
screen size: 20-25in
Resolution: At least 1920x1080
Screen type: Lcd's I think are the most common and cheap but I would like a nice LED one.
Response time: not sure how important this is but seems like most are 5ms and under
Speakers or anything extra like usb slots are not needed.

This needs to be under $150 as I will get another later to replace the viewsonic.
I see many monitors that meet my requirments and price range but I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal.

This section is mostly used for graphics cards it seems but there must be some well recommended monitors that would be a good fit for me.

Thanks!

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Just a side comment from me: Why replace the viewsonic later? Typically, a nice secondary monitor isn't really all that beneficial if you just use it for a browser. I use a square 19" LCD that is about 7 years old for my secondary, it works fine for me.

Not trying to say it's a bad idea, but you can get one good display for 200$ to game on and use the one you have as secondary, or get 2 decent displays with 150$ each budget.

Also, what do you want to use the monitor for, gaming or something else?

Swerrdy

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

I wont be replacing it soon, and your right I might just use the viewsonic until it dies.

$150 is still my absolute max budget as I am currently upgrading my speakers, buying a 32gb flashdrive, and will be buying both new mountain lion and win8 at release (I just found out my laptop hp probook 4530s is perfect for hackintoshing!).

I will be playing games but I just want a good all around monitor, not just a purely gaming one with negative 235234 input lag ;)

I do spend quite a large amount of time staring at my monitor so something nice to look at would be awesome.

I am currently looking at this monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160065&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000258 as it seems to be the cheapest ips type display. Is ips worth upping my budget for? Its also super sexy with that chrome bezel :love: