Marion Pinball Show: My .02

Last response: in Video Games
September 25, 2005 2:49:18 PM

First of all a huge thanks for the organizers that put this show on. I
traveled 4 hours to attend and feel it was worth the drive.
The timeline was followed very closely and from what I could tell,
everything went very smoothly and every one of the show workers were very
helpful and in good spirits ALL DAY. I feel they pulled off an amazing show
for a first time.
It didn't seem like anyone was there to BUY pinballs though. Most of the
ones on the floor didn't sell from what I saw and most were priced
reasonably except for one businesses machines - $1400 for a worn out cyclone
with lots of missing paint on the cabinet? c'mon. $1700 for a stripped
out, damaged, faded POS TZ with no transite? WTF?
Best deal I saw of the day was my friend Chuck got a fully working Congo [1
sided faded] with a WPC-95 boardset for $1K. Gotta admit that's a steal.
I spent around $400 between Terry at pinballlife and pinballpro guys so i
think i did my part. :)  Terry is every bit as nice and personable in
person as his service he provides on the website.
9 ball raffle pin worked all day long except for a couple stuck balls. Nice
pin to auction off - wish I had won.
The location was This thing COULD grow into a monster.

Only downside was the amount of pins. Plus a lot of them were not shopped
and ended up being turned off midway thru the show with various problems.
Rob has a huge task geting all those up and running again. I think it could
have been better advertised locally to the location and maybe Marion is just
too far away from bigger cities.

So for effort I give them an A+. Well executed.
Vendors I give a B only because of the numbers. The ones there were
FANTASTIC.
Pinball selection I give a C [need many more next year] Would have been a
bit lower but there were several games that weren't at expo last year like
LOTR, NGG, Blackwater 100 [very cool game BTW], and several others. If you
are an EM guy, you wouldn't have been dissapointed at all with the show as
those were plentiful.

Nascar made a showing NEW on free play so i got into that for awhile.
Killer game and I actually like it more than the LOTR I previously owned.
kudos to pat on this one. Pure funa dn makes you keep wanting to play
unlike Sopranos. A+ on NASCAR.

That's it for now - Great start with room for improvement next year.

Dan

More about : marion pinball show

Anonymous
September 25, 2005 2:49:19 PM

I have to agree with Dan for the most part, except that I felt the game
selection was really quite good. There was a great variety of games.
Yes, there were a lot of EM's , but I like those just as much as the
DMD's and SS. I really enjoyed the BW100 and now want one. Anybody have
one for sale within a few hundred miles of St. Louis? My guess would be
that there were 80-90 games there? Anybody make a list?

Rob Craig had 45 of his own games there. Kudos to Rob, that is a crazy
number of games to haul to and from the show, set up, level, maintain
and keep the show running at the same time. My thanks to the entire
show team. It was very well organized and well staffed. They had a lot
of help there and they all were extremely nice and helpfull. Thanks the
Steve Rothchild for his running of the pinball tournament. It was great
fun. I made the final cut of 10 players by putting in a lucky high
score on Quick Draw and a second place score on Sweethearts. I guess
the slower play of EM's are better suited my ability. Ripelys was not
kind to me, but was in great shape. Had fewer than 200 plays on it
prior to the show. Addams Family was the fourth game in the tourny
line-up. I got knocked out in the first round of the showdown and left
for the trek back to Missouri. So, I am not sure who won, but Josh and
Zark Sharpe were seated 1 and 2.

I wish I remembered more of the names so I could mention all of the
other folks who were there working the show and making sure everything
ran smooth, THANKS to all. Thanks to the vendors that came to the
show. Hope they will come back in force if there is another show next
year.

I too was surprised that there was not more buying going on. There were
not many screaming deals, but for the most part avaerage to maybe
slightly above average prices (for us pinheads anyway). Maybe others
were in the same boat as me, I brought one game to put in the show for
free play and also had it for sale, but I needed to sell that one
before I could buy another one, both for cash and space reasons. I can
only fit 1 in the back of my car.

Good to see many of my pinhead freinds there, hope the show continues
into the future.

Bob Stemmler

DWGoett wrote:
> First of all a huge thanks for the organizers that put this show on. I
> traveled 4 hours to attend and feel it was worth the drive.
> The timeline was followed very closely and from what I could tell,
> everything went very smoothly and every one of the show workers were very
> helpful and in good spirits ALL DAY. I feel they pulled off an amazing show
> for a first time.
> It didn't seem like anyone was there to BUY pinballs though. Most of the
> ones on the floor didn't sell from what I saw and most were priced
> reasonably except for one businesses machines - $1400 for a worn out cyclone
> with lots of missing paint on the cabinet? c'mon. $1700 for a stripped
> out, damaged, faded POS TZ with no transite? WTF?
> Best deal I saw of the day was my friend Chuck got a fully working Congo [1
> sided faded] with a WPC-95 boardset for $1K. Gotta admit that's a steal.
> I spent around $400 between Terry at pinballlife and pinballpro guys so i
> think i did my part. :)  Terry is every bit as nice and personable in
> person as his service he provides on the website.
> 9 ball raffle pin worked all day long except for a couple stuck balls. Nice
> pin to auction off - wish I had won.
> The location was This thing COULD grow into a monster.
>
> Only downside was the amount of pins. Plus a lot of them were not shopped
> and ended up being turned off midway thru the show with various problems.
> Rob has a huge task geting all those up and running again. I think it could
> have been better advertised locally to the location and maybe Marion is just
> too far away from bigger cities.
>
> So for effort I give them an A+. Well executed.
> Vendors I give a B only because of the numbers. The ones there were
> FANTASTIC.
> Pinball selection I give a C [need many more next year] Would have been a
> bit lower but there were several games that weren't at expo last year like
> LOTR, NGG, Blackwater 100 [very cool game BTW], and several others. If you
> are an EM guy, you wouldn't have been dissapointed at all with the show as
> those were plentiful.
>
> Nascar made a showing NEW on free play so i got into that for awhile.
> Killer game and I actually like it more than the LOTR I previously owned.
> kudos to pat on this one. Pure funa dn makes you keep wanting to play
> unlike Sopranos. A+ on NASCAR.
>
> That's it for now - Great start with room for improvement next year.
>
> Dan
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 3:00:37 PM

Here it is - the day after. I was hoping to get a glimpse at what might
be buzzing after the show. Can you believe that I just got up? (Noon!).

Some people out there are wondering if this show was successful, was it
really a SUPERSHOW??? How could it be when it's 2 hours from anywhere!
The answer is YES and YES! Here's why...

Those that came there were having fun! Everyone was cool and calm
behind the scenes and in front of everyone. We had a large volunteer
cast that supported everything. If someone needed it, we took care of
it. I said many times that it wouldn't matter if it was only us at this
show... we were going to have a blast. And we did.

Our vendor group of 5 originals grew to 8 vendors just 48 hours before
the show. Everyone was wonderful despite the lack of cash flowing.

The tournament had a lot of attention, even though we only dropped $250
cash to the winner (congrats Josh Sharpe and #2 Zach Sharpe). Hey, be
glad I didn't have time to play :)

Despite some issues with the PA system, despite it being in Marion IL,
despite the other local events competiting with ours, despite the
buyer's not showing up, everyone had a good time.

Will it happen again? Probably. It took a lot of energy to put this
thing into action. If and when it does, it'll be modified from what we
learned this time. I have to say though, I'm impressed with what impact
a dedicated group of people can make.

Thanks so much to all you guys who came with a great attitude and had
fun with all of us! And to the 20+ people who took time away from their
own schedules to push, pull, load, and unload, set at tables, etc.

-Rob Craig
September 25, 2005 4:15:09 PM

I couldn't make it there, but any first show won't be perfect. If it gets
enough attention for the next show, you will see a big difference and more
folks will bring their pins.

--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com

"DWGoett" <pinball@midamerica.net> wrote in message
> First of all a huge thanks for the organizers that put this show on. I
> traveled 4 hours to attend and feel it was worth the drive.
> The timeline was followed very closely and from what I could tell,
> everything went very smoothly and every one of the show workers were very
> helpful and in good spirits ALL DAY. I feel they pulled off an amazing
> show
> for a first time.
> It didn't seem like anyone was there to BUY pinballs though. Most of the
> ones on the floor didn't sell from what I saw and most were priced
> reasonably except for one businesses machines - $1400 for a worn out
> cyclone
> with lots of missing paint on the cabinet? c'mon. $1700 for a stripped
> out, damaged, faded POS TZ with no transite? WTF?
> Best deal I saw of the day was my friend Chuck got a fully working Congo
> [1
> sided faded] with a WPC-95 boardset for $1K. Gotta admit that's a steal.
> I spent around $400 between Terry at pinballlife and pinballpro guys so i
> think i did my part. :)  Terry is every bit as nice and personable in
> person as his service he provides on the website.
> 9 ball raffle pin worked all day long except for a couple stuck balls.
> Nice
> pin to auction off - wish I had won.
> The location was This thing COULD grow into a monster.
>
> Only downside was the amount of pins. Plus a lot of them were not shopped
> and ended up being turned off midway thru the show with various problems.
> Rob has a huge task geting all those up and running again. I think it
> could
> have been better advertised locally to the location and maybe Marion is
> just
> too far away from bigger cities.
>
> So for effort I give them an A+. Well executed.
> Vendors I give a B only because of the numbers. The ones there were
> FANTASTIC.
> Pinball selection I give a C [need many more next year] Would have been a
> bit lower but there were several games that weren't at expo last year like
> LOTR, NGG, Blackwater 100 [very cool game BTW], and several others. If
> you
> are an EM guy, you wouldn't have been dissapointed at all with the show as
> those were plentiful.
>
> Nascar made a showing NEW on free play so i got into that for awhile.
> Killer game and I actually like it more than the LOTR I previously owned.
> kudos to pat on this one. Pure funa dn makes you keep wanting to play
> unlike Sopranos. A+ on NASCAR.
>
> That's it for now - Great start with room for improvement next year.
>
> Dan

Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:24:07 PM

I had a really great time at the Heartland pinball and Arcade
SuperShow. Here are some random thoughts. . .

There was a huge number of machines, (and a somewhat small crowd), so
there was just about no waiting to play any of the machines. There was
a great mix of machines from the 60's to today. Some machines that
were highlights for me were Nascar; Guns and Roses; Lights, Camera,
Action; Blackwater 100; Slick Chick; Xenon; Medusa; CV; IJ; TZ; Swords
of Fury. It was neat to see some rare EMs there (with production runs
of only 70), and a rare EM Evel Knieval. They had video games, which I
like, too. I really liked the three linked video games called The
Grid. Very Cool -- I should have bought those!

The building was huge, and so there was good space between the
machines. You could actually hear the machine you were playing! I
liked that it had a high ceiling.

The organizers were very generous to bring such a large number of their
own machines!!! That really made the show. The organinzers are very
friendly, and really enthusiastic about pinball. Much thanks to
them!!!

Having hourly door prizes was fun (especially since I won one!) There
were good prizes: translights, t-shirts, DVDs, etc. Thanks to those
who donated the prizes.

There was a good tournament. I liked how it was set up, with having to
play four machines of four different eras.

I liked the idea of the swap meet, where non-vendors could bring a few
things to sell. I wished that more people had taken up the opportunity
to bring more things. I appreciated the vendors coming to the show,
and I bought quite a few things.

Overall, it was an excellent show, run by excellent people, and I had a
terrific time. I recommend that you all come next year.

Mike Inman
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:40:01 PM

I hope the turnout was encouraging enough for the organizers to
continue next year.

The show itself was well-staffed, but needed that kind of involvement
from the word GO, so Rob wasn't stretched so thin. He virtually tried
to do it all himself and the result was he didn't have time for some
things that needed his attention.
That doesn't take away from anything the other three did. There just
needed to be more help and delegating to a larger group earlier on.
Hopefully, they will learn what they did right and what needs to be
improved on for next year.

It would have been nice for the vendors to have more interaction in
the show. I would like to have seen PinballPro have a demo machine
showing the difference their replacement speakers make.
Some announcements throughout the day from the show staff to advertise
for the vendors who took time to come to a first show...that kind of
thing.

Still, this was a great day that was well planned, had a nice cross-
section of EMs, SS and DMD, as well as some really cool video games
and the vendors were awesome! I got three boards repaired on-site
by Lenny's PinballWorld and couldn't be happier with the service
or the price.

Prices on equipment seemed a bit high, but I'm a tight-wad, so what do
I know? I don't mean like eBay high, but there were not many real
"deals" IMHO. I wasn't there for the morning swap meet or the evening
auction, so the deals may have happened then.

I also enjoyed getting to play Stern's NASCAR for the first time.
I'm not sure it'll go down as one of the all-time classic pins, but it
was a lot of fun.

Anyway, nice job on the first year guys. Hope next year is even
better!

Rick
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:40:02 PM

It will be a better show. Just give them a chance. I know a lot of show
organizers and it's a LOT of work. Keep in mind, they work full time jobs
too and overtime to boot.

I want to say I will be there, budget pending and if they allow me to tape.
I'll know about a month or two before the show.

--

"the haaarpers" <rlharper@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> I hope the turnout was encouraging enough for the organizers to
> continue next year.
>
> The show itself was well-staffed, but needed that kind of involvement
> from the word GO, so Rob wasn't stretched so thin. He virtually tried
> to do it all himself and the result was he didn't have time for some
> things that needed his attention.
> That doesn't take away from anything the other three did. There just
> needed to be more help and delegating to a larger group earlier on.
> Hopefully, they will learn what they did right and what needs to be
> improved on for next year.
>
> It would have been nice for the vendors to have more interaction in
> the show. I would like to have seen PinballPro have a demo machine
> showing the difference their replacement speakers make.
> Some announcements throughout the day from the show staff to advertise
> for the vendors who took time to come to a first show...that kind of
> thing.
>
> Still, this was a great day that was well planned, had a nice cross-
> section of EMs, SS and DMD, as well as some really cool video games
> and the vendors were awesome! I got three boards repaired on-site
> by Lenny's PinballWorld and couldn't be happier with the service
> or the price.
>
> Prices on equipment seemed a bit high, but I'm a tight-wad, so what do
> I know? I don't mean like eBay high, but there were not many real
> "deals" IMHO. I wasn't there for the morning swap meet or the evening
> auction, so the deals may have happened then.
>
> I also enjoyed getting to play Stern's NASCAR for the first time.
> I'm not sure it'll go down as one of the all-time classic pins, but it
> was a lot of fun.
>
> Anyway, nice job on the first year guys. Hope next year is even
> better!
>
> Rick
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:40:03 PM

yep. i will absolutely make the trip again to support it's continuance.
Like to see the constructive critisism, too and no bashing!
Dan

"Pin Geek" <josh.kaplan1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It will be a better show. Just give them a chance. I know a lot of show
> organizers and it's a LOT of work. Keep in mind, they work full time jobs
> too and overtime to boot.
>
> I want to say I will be there, budget pending and if they allow me to
tape.
> I'll know about a month or two before the show.
>
> --
> Josh
> http://www.pingeek.com
> Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
> http://www.theyorkshow.com
>

> "the haaarpers" <rlharper@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I hope the turnout was encouraging enough for the organizers to
> > continue next year.
> >
> > The show itself was well-staffed, but needed that kind of involvement
> > from the word GO, so Rob wasn't stretched so thin. He virtually tried
> > to do it all himself and the result was he didn't have time for some
> > things that needed his attention.
> > That doesn't take away from anything the other three did. There just
> > needed to be more help and delegating to a larger group earlier on.
> > Hopefully, they will learn what they did right and what needs to be
> > improved on for next year.
> >
> > It would have been nice for the vendors to have more interaction in
> > the show. I would like to have seen PinballPro have a demo machine
> > showing the difference their replacement speakers make.
> > Some announcements throughout the day from the show staff to advertise
> > for the vendors who took time to come to a first show...that kind of
> > thing.
> >
> > Still, this was a great day that was well planned, had a nice cross-
> > section of EMs, SS and DMD, as well as some really cool video games
> > and the vendors were awesome! I got three boards repaired on-site
> > by Lenny's PinballWorld and couldn't be happier with the service
> > or the price.
> >
> > Prices on equipment seemed a bit high, but I'm a tight-wad, so what do
> > I know? I don't mean like eBay high, but there were not many real
> > "deals" IMHO. I wasn't there for the morning swap meet or the evening
> > auction, so the deals may have happened then.
> >
> > I also enjoyed getting to play Stern's NASCAR for the first time.
> > I'm not sure it'll go down as one of the all-time classic pins, but it
> > was a lot of fun.
> >
> > Anyway, nice job on the first year guys. Hope next year is even
> > better!
> >
> > Rick

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 2:22:33 PM

I definetely had a great time and hope that this show happens again in
the future.

There were a lot of games there that i've never played before. And man
was that BoP sweet. The Jack*Bot was pretty nice also.

There were a lot of games that crashed fairly early and also some
pretty easy nagging issues like misadjusted flippers and the STDM gate
being stuck up on BoP. I, Like Wolffy, would also have offered my
repair skills to help with games. Maybe key all the locks the same and
hand out keys to select individuals that can be trusted.

There were a lot of simple things that we did correct throughout the
day, like leveling games correctly. JD and J*B were so badly leveled
that they were almost unplayable.

I would definetely make the 6 hour drive from chicago again next year
(as long as the dates aren't too close to expo and i have some money
left ;) )

I'm sure that next year more people will attend and bring games. I also
feel that the show was under hyped. But it definetely delivered.

-c
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 2:57:09 PM

I was there with a couple of others from the chicago pinball mafia and
it was a good show. It would have been cool to see a few more parts
guys but then again I'm not in the market for too many parts at the
moment so I wasn't really bothered by the number of vendors either.

What the show needs to do for next year is something that I do for expo
here in Chicago and that is be one of the volunteer techs for a group of
machines. There were a number of machines that experienced normal
issues when being played at a show such as a wire needs to be resodiered
on a lug or a fuse needs to be replaced or a flipper needs to be
re-adjusted or an opto needs to be cleaned. You get the idea... all
simple things that one volunteer could handle to keep as many games up
and running all day. That seemed to be the only thing that wasn't
accounted for at this show. Otherwise it was an all around fun event.

-wolffy

the haaarpers wrote:

> I hope the turnout was encouraging enough for the organizers to
> continue next year.
>
> The show itself was well-staffed, but needed that kind of involvement
> from the word GO, so Rob wasn't stretched so thin. He virtually tried
> to do it all himself and the result was he didn't have time for some
> things that needed his attention.
> That doesn't take away from anything the other three did. There just
> needed to be more help and delegating to a larger group earlier on.
> Hopefully, they will learn what they did right and what needs to be
> improved on for next year.
>
> It would have been nice for the vendors to have more interaction in
> the show. I would like to have seen PinballPro have a demo machine
> showing the difference their replacement speakers make.
> Some announcements throughout the day from the show staff to advertise
> for the vendors who took time to come to a first show...that kind of
> thing.
>
> Still, this was a great day that was well planned, had a nice cross-
> section of EMs, SS and DMD, as well as some really cool video games
> and the vendors were awesome! I got three boards repaired on-site
> by Lenny's PinballWorld and couldn't be happier with the service
> or the price.
>
> Prices on equipment seemed a bit high, but I'm a tight-wad, so what do
> I know? I don't mean like eBay high, but there were not many real
> "deals" IMHO. I wasn't there for the morning swap meet or the evening
> auction, so the deals may have happened then.
>
> I also enjoyed getting to play Stern's NASCAR for the first time.
> I'm not sure it'll go down as one of the all-time classic pins, but it
> was a lot of fun.
>
> Anyway, nice job on the first year guys. Hope next year is even
> better!
>
> Rick
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 3:21:48 PM

I thought the show was _really_ good for an inaugural show. I've been
to some smaller shows like PATZ. I like to go and support these shows
when they are close enough...I mean hey, what a great value when you
can go play unlimited pinball all day for $10. That should be worth it
right there to get you to one of these shows.

We had a small crew of Chicago Pinball Mafia there (myself, Wolffy, and
Craig C. It seemed very well organized and I thought there was a
really nice mix of machines. I wished that more people showed up for
this show for Rob's sake, but it meant that there was very little
waiting (if any) for many machines. Although, it was odd that it
seemed like Water World of all pins had someone constantly playing it.
Some of the highlights for me was (as always) playing the pins you
don't see very often. Finally got to play a fully working Blackwater
100 with the sound up, there are some crazy ramps on that game.
Light's Camera Action which is quite a unique game with crazy ball
poppers, backglass animation, display in the playfield and overhead
spotlights which gave a neat effect. Title Fight was quite an
interesting playfield layout with crazy loops. Swords of Fury was
pretty cool too. Black Hole was playing perfectly; it was kicking our
a$$es and and we liked it! Nice selection of both dmd and em games.

Terry from Pinball Life had awesome prices on his stuff at the show
that were even better than his website. The vendor selection was a
little thin, but the few that were there had some really good stuff to
sell at excellent prices.

BTW, in response to another post, there were two IJ's there to do a
Pinball Pro comparison vs no mod if you really wanted to.

Facility was nice, big, and clean. The show T-shirts were really cool
too. Nice job!

I have to give a big thumbs up to Rob on this show. If you didn't go
and you could, you missed out. It was a first class effort. He even
told me where to find a Jack in the Box on the way home so I could get
the famous Jack in the Box tacos. mmmm, 2 tacos for 99 cents:)

Popbumper wrote:
> Here it is - the day after. I was hoping to get a glimpse at what might
> be buzzing after the show. Can you believe that I just got up? (Noon!).
>

> Some people out there are wondering if this show was successful, was it
> really a SUPERSHOW??? How could it be when it's 2 hours from anywhere!
> The answer is YES and YES! Here's why...
>
> Those that came there were having fun! Everyone was cool and calm
> behind the scenes and in front of everyone. We had a large volunteer
> cast that supported everything. If someone needed it, we took care of
> it. I said many times that it wouldn't matter if it was only us at this
> show... we were going to have a blast. And we did.
>
> Our vendor group of 5 originals grew to 8 vendors just 48 hours before
> the show. Everyone was wonderful despite the lack of cash flowing.
>
> The tournament had a lot of attention, even though we only dropped $250
> cash to the winner (congrats Josh Sharpe and #2 Zach Sharpe). Hey, be
> glad I didn't have time to play :)
>
> Despite some issues with the PA system, despite it being in Marion IL,
> despite the other local events competiting with ours, despite the
> buyer's not showing up, everyone had a good time.
>
> Will it happen again? Probably. It took a lot of energy to put this
> thing into action. If and when it does, it'll be modified from what we
> learned this time. I have to say though, I'm impressed with what impact
> a dedicated group of people can make.
>
> Thanks so much to all you guys who came with a great attitude and had
> fun with all of us! And to the 20+ people who took time away from their
> own schedules to push, pull, load, and unload, set at tables, etc.
>
> -Rob Craig
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 4:05:10 PM

You may have answered your own theory about why people were playing
waterworld..... they hadn't seen it before. I've never seen one on
location either. It might be good (although I suspect not just looking
at the flyer)
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 5:34:36 PM

Thanks Rob for telling us where to go to jack in the box!! we also hit
sonic since we dont have those up here in chicago. It seems all our
road trips end up with some quest for fast food that we don't usualy go
to. At Allentown it was Friendlys.

Steak and Shake is a dangerous place. The last time i went there i
spend a good 15 minutes on the "thunder bucket", no thanks. And that's
not something that you want to have happen to you durring a 6 hour
drive ;)

Jack in the Box has never done me wrong.

I think it was well organized and a blast. IMHO i think it can only be
bigger next year. Maybe you can get Jack in the Box to cater it?

;)

That was one sweet Black Hole! Finaly got multiball started only to
watch them go down the closed gate....drat ;)

Rob Craig, meet Rob and Craig. ;)

-c
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 5:44:35 PM

Centrailia it was. Once I looked on a map and saw that it was only 10
miles off the way home, I said we gotta go!

Jack in the box is big on the west coast and for some reason as you get
closer to St. Louis. My girlfriend calls me the fast food king because
I always want to go seek out fast food chains that we don't have in
Chicago whenever we go on vacations and roadtrips. I've driven to
Racine, WI many times just to get some Chick-fil-a.

September 26, 2005 8:07:42 PM

It's ok. But shadowed by a bomb movie. Not a bad game though.

--
<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
> You may have answered your own theory about why people were playing
> waterworld..... they hadn't seen it before. I've never seen one on
> location either. It might be good (although I suspect not just looking
> at the flyer)

Anonymous
September 26, 2005 10:33:15 PM

I thought the turnout was about what you could expect for a first show.
The game selection was better than most "first shows", that's for
sure. I will own a Barbed Wire someday just to piss everyone off -
you'll see! I wish I had had more time to play the games, but my wife
kept freaking out everytime I left our booth to go play, leaving her
there by herself to try and answer pinball parts questions!

Rob Craig and company did an excellent job, IMHO. You could tell that
mega-hours of time had been logged by the entire staff to get this
event up off the ground and running for this first year. I hope they
were encouraged enough by this year's results to put it on again next
year.

Terry.
CARGPB25
www.pinballlife.com
September 27, 2005 2:11:26 AM

pinballlife@speakeasy.net wrote:
> I will own a Barbed Wire someday just to piss everyone off -
> you'll see! I wish I had had more time to play the games, but my wife
> kept freaking out everytime I left our booth to go play, leaving her
> there by herself to try and answer pinball parts questions!
> Terry.
> CARGPB25
> www.pinballlife.com

You can put it right next to your RBION for a double whammy of RGP hate!
I have to say I thought RBION was fun, I found it enjoyable in the
mix of tourney games.

Steve
September 27, 2005 2:33:46 AM

I agree Bob, at first I was looking for the usual suspects but since
there were very few around I took the opportunity to play the games you
never see. Lights Camera Action and Title Fight where really fun to
play. And those EM's were very fun! One Million BC was really an awesome
machine! I found myself really having some fun with the EM's, I have
always been a DMD guy, But there was something about the EM's that was
very addictive.

It was a fun show, and next year ask for some help on shopping out those
games Rob, I am sure something can be arranged to get those games
shopped out and ready for action.

Steve

Bob Stemmler wrote:
> [...]
>>too far away from bigger cities.
>>
>>So for effort I give them an A+. Well executed.
>>Vendors I give a B only because of the numbers. The ones there were
>>FANTASTIC.
>>Pinball selection I give a C [need many more next year] Would have been a
>>bit lower but there were several games that weren't at expo last year like
>>LOTR, NGG, Blackwater 100 [very cool game BTW], and several others. If you
>>are an EM guy, you wouldn't have been dissapointed at all with the show as
>>those were plentiful.
>>
>>Nascar made a showing NEW on free play so i got into that for awhile.
>>Killer game and I actually like it more than the LOTR I previously owned.
>>kudos to pat on this one. Pure funa dn makes you keep wanting to play
>>unlike Sopranos. A+ on NASCAR.
>>
>>That's it for now - Great start with room for improvement next year.

September 27, 2005 1:25:01 PM

Did anyone take pictures of the show they will share with us?

Mike O.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:20:06 PM

CraigC -Chicago- wrote:
> Steak and Shake is a dangerous place. The last time i went there i
> spend a good 15 minutes on the "thunder bucket", no thanks. And that's
> not something that you want to have happen to you durring a 6 hour
> drive ;)

I actually enjoy a good steak and shake, and their breakfasts rock. But
I've never had the experience that you had.

> Jack in the Box has never done me wrong.

The Centralia Jack In The Box is crazy at 11:00 at night with the one
employee working the drive-through. Got to love small town America.

-wolffy
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:24:21 PM

And after you get your barb wire don't forget a Bugs Bunny B-Day Bash to
round out everything. :)

-wolffy

pinballlife@speakeasy.net wrote:
> I thought the turnout was about what you could expect for a first show.
> The game selection was better than most "first shows", that's for
> sure. I will own a Barbed Wire someday just to piss everyone off -
> you'll see! I wish I had had more time to play the games, but my wife
> kept freaking out everytime I left our booth to go play, leaving her
> there by herself to try and answer pinball parts questions!
>
> Rob Craig and company did an excellent job, IMHO. You could tell that
> mega-hours of time had been logged by the entire staff to get this
> event up off the ground and running for this first year. I hope they
> were encouraged enough by this year's results to put it on again next
> year.
>
> Terry.
> CARGPB25
> www.pinballlife.com

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:30:52 PM

CraigC -Chicago- wrote:
> There were a lot of games there that i've never played before. And man
> was that BoP sweet. The Jack*Bot was pretty nice also.

And that BoP was pulling a Black Hole on us when it came to multiball.
It was good to see that game because the norm for a TM:BoP now adays is
a total trashed playfield.

I still have to go with Swords Of Fury as I've only seen that game one
time before. There is some interesting creativity going on there in
more ways then just the playfield layout. I also think the whole black
hole premis that you have to do something to return from the black hole
is interesting... I'm just not sure if it's a good interesting or a bad
interesting. Kinda makes you wonder what happened to Gottliebs along
the way.

I actually enjoyed the selection of games and was kinda glad that it
wasn't overpowered by your everyday collector games like YOMM.

-wolffy
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 4:35:27 PM

Yo Mike O!

I did get a handful and I'll post everything up at
www.supershow.popbumper.com as soon as I find some time. I would say to
check the site by Friday of this week. Maybe sooner.

Additional note on the Pinball Pro subs . . . I think it was mentioned
that there really wasn't any publicity given to that product at the
show. My Bride of Pinbot at the Popbumper.com booth was loaded with it
- and it had a card in the apron. Additional games that had at least a
PP sub...

Indy J.
Swords of Fury
TOMagic
TZone
and CirqusV.

On announcing stuff over the PA - it was a disaster!!! THe PA system
they have is throttle to the max so mega feedback. We tried it, they
didn't have their act together at all on that point. So..... we did the
best we could.

Again, I appreciate all the great feedback on this thread and from my
inbox. Now those of you that missed that HOT T-Shirt.... send me a
check already. I have S, M, L, and XL to send you. When they're
gone...they're gone!
See is at www.popbumper.com or www.supershow.popbumper.com.
THANKS,
Rob C:>