Sign in with
Your question

Odd Problem With Laser Printer Jam

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 24, 2012 2:13:48 PM

Hello,

I have a three year old Samsung ML-2010 black and white laser printer. It now jams most of the time after the paper feeds about 3 inches into the machine. I then pull the page out and the top edge has a black smudge across it.

Here's the odd part: if I gently push on the trailing edge of the paper as it's feeding into the printer's guts it feeds and prints perfectly.

I've tried fanning the paper. I've tried different paper, both 20# and 24#. Nothing works except pushing on the paper to help it feed.

I suspect that something (the rollers?) is getting gunked up after three years' service but am not sure how to proceed. A live chat with Samsung support resulted in a suggestion to clean the rollers with a lint-free cloth (which I will indeed try) but I don't have a lot of faith in that.

Is it time for a new printer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jim
February 24, 2012 4:55:30 PM

Clean the rollers using alcohol swabs and then a light wipe with some type of solvent. The solvent will make the rubber roller surfaces a little gummy and this will help the feeding.

Another thing that you can try is to use a fingernail file and gently clean the roller surfaces. All you need to do is to increase the friction of the rollers so that they grip the paper better.
March 2, 2012 8:12:41 AM

+1 to above, with exception of the solvent, probably not a good idea. Just clean the pickup roller with alcohol and a rag.
March 2, 2012 11:12:57 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
+1 to above, with exception of the solvent, probably not a good idea. Just clean the pickup roller with alcohol and a rag.

After the alcohol cleaning, a light wipe with solvent will create a gummy surface; like 'slicks' used in drag racing. This will increase the coefficient of friction.
!